•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrotech AT80ED

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Celsom

Celsom

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:07 AM

I am planning to purchase an Astrotech AT80ED for astrophotography. Can someone give me some comments about its performance?

#2 jlinsobe

jlinsobe

Viking 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:25 AM

Excellent.   But since your interest is astrophotography, I’d suggest the triplet version for a couple of hundred extra.  AT-80T   (Not L ), 

• 72Nova, mariemarie and Pantilas like this

#3 Zambiadarkskies

Zambiadarkskies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zambia

Posted 16 September 2022 - 08:24 AM

I am planning to purchase an Astrotech AT80ED for astrophotography. Can someone give me some comments about its performance?

I purchased one in July (well, that is when it reached me in Zambia).  Previously I was imaging with a Canon 100-400ii lens.  I looked at Redcats and the like, but ultimately I decided that as a newbie - just over a year into astro - I would be happy enough with a decent doublet.  

I am.  It now sits on an AM5 mount and it has been fantastic. Yes, I can see a tiny bit of CA type fringing on VERY bright stars.  But overall I am really happy with it.  

Here are images taken with it over the last few weeks: 

https://www.astrobin...users/gilghana/

Edited by Zambiadarkskies, 16 September 2022 - 08:42 AM.

• Skysmacker and Loopster like this

#4 Celsom

Celsom

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2022 - 09:08 AM

Excellent.   But since your interest is astrophotography, I’d suggest the triplet version for a couple of hundred extra.  AT-80T   (Not L ), 

The AT80EDT is double priced and with a $169 flattener it seems a little too much for now. I would like to know if the AT80ED can give reasonable good photos for a beginner for the next 5 years or so. Currently I have a old Celestron C8 Schmidt-Cassegrain and a SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5 with which I took some starting encouraging photos (30 minutes total integration time with a Canon T6i camera) using the ASI Air Pro.

#5 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Gemini

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 17 September 2022 - 12:38 PM

I would suggest the SVbony to be honest.  Less expensive, more features, image quality is good.

The AT80 is a decent piece of kit but the field rotator, and other hardware make it a no go for me for the price.

A couple extra hundred on a triplet is totally unnecessary.  A good triplet is nice, but you don't really see much difference if you grow towards narrowband imaging.

A doublet, FPL51 or Better, will take good care of your imaging needs.  See my link.. Plenty of examples..  Most with Svbony 80

Clear Skies !!

• Zambiadarkskies likes this

#6 Celsom

Celsom

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:59 AM

Please, put your link.

#7 Zambiadarkskies

Zambiadarkskies

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:53 AM

The AT80EDT is double priced and with a $169 flattener it seems a little too much for now. I would like to know if the AT80ED can give reasonable good photos for a beginner for the next 5 years or so. Currently I have a old Celestron C8 Schmidt-Cassegrain and a SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5 with which I took some starting encouraging photos (30 minutes total integration time with a Canon T6i camera) using the ASI Air Pro.

Yes it can.  I looked at the SVBony but went with the AT largely because it worked out for me with shipping to Zambia.  Either one would have been fine for me.  Ultimately it depends on your tolerances and pixel peeping.  I am totally okay with dealing with some CA in post now and then.  I am not a pixel peeper in any of my photography so for me a decent doublet is fine right now.  Probably not for 5 years (knowing myself) but for a couple for sure.  

#8 Celsom

Celsom

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:15 PM

I have read many comments about the Astrotech AT80ED but none of them say about the capability of the scope for astrophotography. I already have a scope (Celestron C8) with which I take photos that are enough for me. I want to know if the AT80ED or AT72EDII or other of the scopes between 70mm and 80mm are enough for one shot color astrophotography. I know that they will be photos of wide objects. I am confident that the views will be great. My concern is if the color aberration would prevent from taking nice photos as an addition to my far far from perfect photos with my C8. Is the EDT or EDL required? I think 80mm is my preference, but which model? Is the ED enough or should I put some additional effort for the EDT or none of them?

#9 Zambiadarkskies

Zambiadarkskies

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2022 - 03:53 AM

On the other thread where you asked about imaging I linked to my astrobin so you could take a look.  I am pretty new to all this, having been imaging with an actual telescope for a few months.  And DSS stuff in general for just over a year.  The astrobin link is now in my signature.  Every picture was taken with the 80ED.  

• BFaucett likes this

#10 Sheridan

Sheridan

Apollo

• Loc: Houston Tx.

Posted 01 October 2022 - 10:16 AM

Both the AT80ED and the SVBony are good little scopes. With either one, you will need to get a flattener/reducer or just a flattener. Both will work with an OSC and give you decent photographs. I personally went with the SVBony because of the built-in rotator. As for OSC's i would suggest pairing it with a imx571 or imx533 sensor based camera. A lot of people are having good success with risingcam (touptech rebranded). The triplet would be a little nicer however it it is not necessary.

Edited by Sheridan, 01 October 2022 - 10:16 AM.

#11 72Nova

72Nova

Supernova

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 01 October 2022 - 05:23 PM

I’ve been doing AP for a little over a year and I use an AT80ED and AT60ED.  When I use my OSC camera (533mc), I do see some minor CA with the AT80ED.  The AT60ED (same glass as AT72EDII) produces better broadband images for me.

I love my AT80ED for visual and and it works well for shooting narrowband, but If you want to stay under $500 I would recommend the AT72EDii over the AT80ED if you want it for AP.  The small amount of fringing with the AT80ED may or may not bother you.  I don’t have any imaging experience with any other scopes.

Feel free to look at my Astrobin link in my signature.  All images were taken with either the AT60ED or AT80ED.

Edited by 72Nova, 01 October 2022 - 05:35 PM.

#12 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 02 October 2022 - 04:27 AM

I think you'll be pleased with the AT80ED.  However, as an owner of the AT60ED I might offer a suggestion.

My AT60ED uses FPL-53 glass instead of the regular ED glass found in the AT80ED.  The same FPL-53 glass is also used in the AT72EDii.  I have been VERY pleased with the performance of my AT60ED for astrophotography.  So, I would recommend going with the AT72EDii for the better glass.

That is, if you're sure you can't afford the AT80EDT... smile.gif

• Zambiadarkskies likes this

#13 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 02 October 2022 - 05:01 PM

Just saw this thread discussing the merits of the AT72EDii and thought I'd post here for you to read.

#14 Celsom

Celsom

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2022 - 01:29 AM

Thank you. I will look the photos and reconsider my actions.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics