•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My first "unclassified" specimen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 leonardovaller

leonardovaller

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mexico

Posted 18 September 2022 - 06:58 PM

Hello, everybody. I would like to know your opinion about this piece that I recently bought (has not arrived yet). My dealer says it's an iron and it's supposed to come from Xinjiang, China and that's all he knows.

Does it look authentic to you at all? It does for me, that's why I paid the money (few tens of dollars). 

Size: 6.6 cms / 2.5 inches long

Weight: 67 grams / 2.3 oz

Clipboard01.jpg

D_NQ_NP_2X_991726-MLM51409139678_092022-F.jpg

D_NQ_NP_2X_897377-MLM51409167323_092022-F.jpg

D_NQ_NP_2X_734248-MLM51409161401_092022-F.jpg

D_NQ_NP_2X_778417-MLM51409174287_092022-F.jpg

#2 lee14

lee14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 19 September 2022 - 11:59 AM

From the images alone, there's nothing to rule out the specimen being the real thing. A large iron did indeed fall in Xinjiang. However, there is such an inordinately large amount of fake or misrepresented material coming out of China, I would be suspicious in lieu of actual evidence of origin/authenticity.

Lee

• Glassthrower and mark8888 like this

#3 leonardovaller

leonardovaller

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2022 - 05:56 PM

From the images alone, there's nothing to rule out the specimen being the real thing. A large iron did indeed fall in Xinjiang. However, there is such an inordinately large amount of fake or misrepresented material coming out of China, I would be suspicious in lieu of actual evidence of origin/authenticity.

Lee

Thank you. I know there may be a risk but I wanted to take a chance on a lucky break. I always get very small samples and, if it were real, it would be my largest piece.

Also, it would be a good excuse for doing the acid test again (now using nitric acid).

• lee14 and mark8888 like this

#4 mark8888

mark8888

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 September 2022 - 03:48 AM

Thank you. I know there may be a risk but I wanted to take a chance on a lucky break. I always get very small samples and, if it were real, it would be my largest piece.

Also, it would be a good excuse for doing the acid test again (now using nitric acid).

For a piece it doesnt matter (and looks nice, if its real!) but in the long run I think you benefit from buying from established, known and absolutely trustworthy sellers. Not only in the happiness and confidence that your collection is definitely real, but also financially, when you sell. That provinence from a trusted dealer means that you can more easily sell the piece, and also likely get most of the money back, if not more as some rise over time.

• Glassthrower, lee14, mdowns and 1 other like this

#5 leonardovaller

leonardovaller

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2022 - 10:12 PM

For a piece it doesnt matter (and looks nice, if its real!) but in the long run I think you benefit from buying from established, known and absolutely trustworthy sellers. Not only in the happiness and confidence that your collection is definitely real, but also financially, when you sell. That provinence from a trusted dealer means that you can more easily sell the piece, and also likely get most of the money back, if not more as some rise over time.

Yeah, looking for reliable sellers is what I always do, but finding this piece made me remember buying my first meteorite: excitement and doubt at the same time.

I have also already decided what I'm gonna do when I no longer need my meteorites and my fossils. I will give some of them to children I know and will donate others to the schools where I studied when I was a teenager.

I'm not giving away a fortune or museum treasures or something that arouses greed. These are simple things but I want them to have a purpose. In some countries children and young people need more positive mind stimulation than in others.

I remember when I was about 10 years old, an uncle promised me a telescope as a birthday gift. In the end, he couldn't get it and ended up giving me toy construction machines. Very nice ones. Caterpillar brand. But I was already excited about the telescope. My parents couldn't afford one and by the time I was old enough to buy one myself, I had lost interest. Now on my 40's I've become the kid I alwas wanted to be.

• TimN, lee14 and mark8888 like this

#6 leonardovaller

leonardovaller

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:11 PM

- UPADTE - The rock finally came.

Overall impressions:

• Is not an iron. It's a stony
  • Looks right, although I'm not an expert

Exterior (I wondered if the outside could be an artificially added layer)

• It's a little bit shiny
  • It does not seem to have lumps
  • It doesn't react to heat (does not burn, does not give off smoke, does not smell). I used a lighter by the way, I didn't want to break it by excessive heating.
  • It doesn't react to solvents (does not fade, does not leave stains on cotton balls). Again, I was careful, I did the test on small section.
  • It does not get scratched
  • In short, it does not seem to be covered in paint or any kind of tar

Since I'm not familiar to large stony meteorites, I am not able to confirm if this is an actual fusion crust. I would say yes. The outter layer appears to be part of the rock. I examined it further under a microscope and in some areas there appear to be very small cracks showing a reddish color like rust.

Magnets

• It attracts ferrite and neodymium magnets equally. I have a variety of terrestrial rocks (as control samples haha) that only attract neodymium magnets. Ferrite magnets are too weak to stick to them. This rock even levitates the ferrite magnet on the table.

So, what do you think? Is it a chrondite? a meteorwrong? a fake? I find it interesting and nice as it is. I don't really wan't to break it in two but I will if there is no choice.

rock.jpg

rock2.jpg

Under microscope

IMG_20220921_230652945.jpg

IMG_20220921_230542180.jpg

IMG_20220921_230517905.jpg

Edited by leonardovaller, 21 September 2022 - 11:18 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics