•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cable question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:19 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to purchase a 15 foot USB3 cable. I have tried Astronomics and Highpoint but they don't carry any. I'd love to get a ASIair but can't swing that yet. Thanks in advance

#2 hdbaron

hdbaron

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Flank Mauna Loa, Hawaii

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:27 PM

https://www.amazon.c...pldnSite=1&th=1

Tether Tools TetherPro USB 3.0 to USB Female Active Extension, 16' (5m), High-Visibility Orange

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:45 PM

Moving to Equipment for a potentially better fit.

#4 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° N Utah

Posted 21 September 2022 - 04:51 PM

USBFIREWIRE.com or DigiKey.  I had to replace all my Amazon cables as they were poor quality. I would recommend them

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 September 2022 - 04:54 PM

You do not want to try using USB3 with a 15 foot cable.  That can work with USB2 (although I strongly recommend against it).  With USB3, you're asking for trouble.

USB cable problems cause really nasty issues in astrophottography.  Hard to diagnose.  The best prevention is to use as short cables as you possibly can.

I would guess this is why Astronomics and Highpoint don't carry them.  Astrophotography plays by different rules.  iOptron stuck with USB2 until market pressure did them in, people thought USB3 must be "better".  It can be faster.  It is more sensitive to cable length.

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 September 2022 - 04:57 PM.

• millsbob and Notdarkenough like this

#6 rhaskins

rhaskins

Viking 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 21 September 2022 - 06:34 PM

Yes, nasty issues. I am here to testify to that. Shorter cables and industrial powered hubs are the best solution.

Cheap cables, cheap hubs, non-powered hubs will cause all types of issues.

Rick
  • BRCoz, bobzeq25 and Notdarkenough like this

#7 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:21 PM

https://www.amazon.c...pldnSite=1&th=1

Tether Tools TetherPro USB 3.0 to USB Female Active Extension, 16' (5m), High-Visibility Orange

There may be issues with USB3.0,  I do not have any, yet, 18 months and counting. I use these Tether Tool cables, got mine from B&H Photo in NY.   I ran two of them through my Paramount ME.     Joe

#8 bmcclana

bmcclana

Viking 1

• Loc: Central CT, USA

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:41 PM

I have a tripplite 25’ active usb cable between my powered hub at the Pc and the Pegasus usb control hub on the scope/mount.

I have used it for EAA and planetary imaging, probably the most demanding on the data rate…

it has been solid as a rock.

having power at both ends was critical to make it work.  Relying on just the usb spec’d power with the long cable was not enough to power the active cable and a camera or unpowered hub.

• rhaskins likes this

#9 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for all the help I think I will check into the powered hub and see how that goes.

#10 Gamewarden

Gamewarden

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Centreville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 September 2022 - 06:38 AM

I have been using a USB 3 32 foot plus the 6 foot ZWO flat cable together for about 2 years now to control my scope. It is an active cable which also has a plugin in which I dont use. Solid as a rock. 

Mark

#11 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:49 AM

The optimum limit for USB3 cable is circa 3 metres. With high quality 'Active' cables it might be longer. I have a garage full of redundant USB3 cables that failed. Gamewarden probably succeeds because he is controlling only his scope, which is a low data demand. I repeatedly failed with high resolution large sensor data hungry cameras.

Many of us have been down this route and have found WiFi more successful by affixing a mini-computer to the scope, hence requiring short USB3 cables, then remote desktop type software (over WiFi or Ethernet cable) to another computer indoors. My CN signature explains my approach. Not cheap, but I wasted ££££'s on USB cables and hubs that didn't work.
  • rhaskins, Sacred Heart and Notdarkenough like this

#12 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:07 AM

The optimum limit for USB3 cable is circa 3 metres. With high quality 'Active' cables it might be longer. I have a garage full of redundant USB3 cables that failed. Gamewarden probably succeeds because he is controlling only his scope, which is a low data demand. I repeatedly failed with high resolution large sensor data hungry cameras.

Many of us have been down this route and have found WiFi more successful by affixing a mini-computer to the scope, hence requiring short USB3 cables, then remote desktop type software (over WiFi or Ethernet cable) to another computer indoors. My CN signature explains my approach. Not cheap, but I wasted ££££'s on USB cables and hubs that didn't work.

This explains the 'Why' it fails like I have never heard before.  It makes sense.   Thank you.    Joe

#13 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:27 PM

You do not want to try using USB3 with a PASSIVE 15 foot cable.  

Fixed that for you.  Definitely not with just a bunch of wires and no electronics to massage the signal.

I have a couple of "no name Amazon junk" 5m USB3 active extenders, never a problem. Even shooting full frame video from my ASI6200MM. I guess I am lucky. 

I have had problems I *though* were USB3 extender related, but they were always power issues.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics