•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rokinon 135 – Guiding on Star Adventurer GTi

Astrophotography Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mkieran

mkieran

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Palo Alto, CA

Posted 22 September 2022 - 03:15 PM

I’ve received a SkyWatcher Star Adventurer GTi, and am looking for recommendations on how to best guide when imaging with a Rokinon 135mm lens.

Can I use a 4x 30mm finder (i.e.: 120mm focal length) and an ASI174mm camera as a guide scope? If so, what would be a suitable value for the Calibration Step?

Or do I need something with a longer focal length? I’m trying to keep weight to a minimum. Thanks in advance.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 September 2022 - 03:46 PM

I’ve received a SkyWatcher Star Adventurer GTi, and am looking for recommendations on how to best guide when imaging with a Rokinon 135mm lens.

Can I use a 4x 30mm finder (i.e.: 120mm focal length) and an ASI174mm camera as a guide scope? If so, what would be a suitable value for the Calibration Step?

Or do I need something with a longer focal length? I’m trying to keep weight to a minimum. Thanks in advance.

Excellent ideas.  PhD2 will figure out the calibration step, if you input the setup information correctly.

• mkieran likes this

#3 dan_hm

dan_hm

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 22 September 2022 - 04:23 PM

That's fine if you already own an ASI174 but don't buy one just for the Rokinon.  Your ASI120 would do the job.

• mkieran likes this

#4 mkieran

mkieran

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2022 - 04:58 PM

Excellent ideas.  PhD2 will figure out the calibration step, if you input the setup information correctly.

I'm using an ASIAIR+, so PhD2 is running under the hood, but I don't see any way to input setup information (i.e.: no profile wizard as in the desktop version of PhD2. Do you know if there's another way to do this? Thanks.

#5 mkieran

mkieran

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2022 - 04:59 PM

That's fine if you already own an ASI174 but don't buy one just for the Rokinon.  Your ASI120 would do the job.

Thanks, I have both guide cameras. Do you know if there's an advantage to using the lower-resolution ASI120 vs the ASI174? 

#6 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:02 PM

I'm using an ASIAIR+, so PhD2 is running under the hood, but I don't see any way to input setup information (i.e.: no profile wizard as in the desktop version of PhD2. Do you know if there's another way to do this? Thanks.

Unfamiliar with the simplified verssion of PhD2 in the ASIAir.  Stuff like this is why I use a Windows computer for data acquisition.

Thanks, I have both guide cameras. Do you know if there's an advantage to using the lower-resolution ASI120 vs the ASI174? 

Cost, only.  I have both, the 174 retired my 120.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics