•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Android Phone for Astrophotography

Astrophotography Beginner CMOS DSO Equipment Eyepieces Moon NV Observing Planet
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ICit2

ICit2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:50 PM

Howdy all!

Well, like the title says, I found this phone that works pretty good for afocal imaging. Hope you find it useful. smile.png 

Cheers!

https://www.youtube....h?v=I3ba8-CPnt0

Home On Range Title

#2 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:38 PM

Google Pixel, Samsung, Xiaomi

#3 m1thumb

m1thumb

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:08 AM

Galaxy s21 has pretty awesome cameras. Can take pics in raw pro mode. at least that's what they claim, I've used the features but not a pro.

#4 ICit2

ICit2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, guys, the main ingredient I found is your phone has manual control over the settings.

#5 Paul Muller

Paul Muller

Vostok 1

• Loc: Arlington, VA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:55 PM

My Google Pixel 6 Pro has an automatic night mode to where it will take multiple exposures, stack, and integrate the exposure for you. Then you just open the native photo editor and boost the brightness, contrast, etc. to do the rest. You just need some sort of tripod/stand/phone holder to keep it steady for the best results. 

I've come up with some really phenomenal wide field photos of the Milky Way at a dark site. 

#6 m1thumb

m1thumb

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:56 PM

Yep, I said "pro," that's what Samsung calls it, but it is manual control to clarify.

#7 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:11 AM

My Google Pixel 6 Pro has an automatic night mode to where it will take multiple exposures, stack, and integrate the exposure for you. Then you just open the native photo editor and boost the brightness, contrast, etc. to do the rest. You just need some sort of tripod/stand/phone holder to keep it steady for the best results. 

I've come up with some really phenomenal wide field photos of the Milky Way at a dark site. 

Please post a few. I am intrigued to see what a smartphone can do. Most MW images online from smartphones were done by novices who were happy just to get the MW in the shot.

#8 ICit2

ICit2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2022 - 03:42 PM

The thing I'm looking for is real time video.  Singles are great, but I use the phone to convey what it looks like if you were at the eyepiece.  The Samsung does a pretty good job. I guess it all depends on what a guy is after.

#9 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

• Loc: North Cheshire, UK

Posted 24 September 2022 - 03:52 PM

Whatever camera you get, it'll be worth trying the FV-5 camera app. Gives a high level of control of the camera settings, and allows for Raw file creation
  • ICit2 likes this

#10 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 September 2022 - 02:59 PM

I have to mention one thing with the iPhone 13 pro. I'm sure it's an issue with the previous multi-camera iphones came before, but if one thing I can't stand, that's the switching between cameras unexpectedly.

.  It switches between cameras while focusing. So you can set up over one camera covering the eyepiece and the darn thing switches to another in the middle of focusing. I don't know if there is a control menu somewhere to stop it, but I favored the 1 camera designs better a few years ago. 

• ICit2 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, CMOS, DSO, Equipment, Eyepieces, Moon, NV, Observing, Planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics