•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX5 Drive Base

Meade Cassegrain
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dnorton618

dnorton618

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Delaware

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:57 PM

Just finished a complete breakdown of a Meade LX5 drive base. I had purchased it recently and it must have been in a hot environment because the grease had liquefied and stained the RA circle as well as running out all over the drive base.  

It ran. I plugged it in and it ran just fine in both axes and the Dec motor worked. It would speed up and slow down. It bothered me that it was greasy and stained so I decided to break it down and degrease/regrease. Restore.

So I did and it was a success. No more stains. Runs like new. Smooth as silk. I have attached a few photos. If anyone decides to do a restore on one of these drive bases I can answer questions. I learned a LOT. 

Doug Norton

Attached Thumbnails

• 9BE16AA9-D021-45E0-917A-D852A385CFC4.jpeg
  • 200D3598-7B1B-4DC1-B97A-F52BF6BABF9D.jpeg
  • E6588516-8939-4861-B2A4-E7EC7AA8C11D.jpeg
  • E5D244B6-0EFF-465D-A7A0-04B118AA078F.jpeg

• Skywatchr, Sniuk, deepwoods1 and 2 others like this

#2 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:23 PM

Just finished a complete breakdown of a Meade LX5 drive base. I had purchased it recently and it must have been in a hot environment because the grease had liquefied and stained the RA circle as well as running out all over the drive base.  

It ran. I plugged it in and it ran just fine in both axes and the Dec motor worked. It would speed up and slow down. It bothered me that it was greasy and stained so I decided to break it down and degrease/regrease. Restore.

So I did and it was a success. No more stains. Runs like new. Smooth as silk. I have attached a few photos. If anyone decides to do a restore on one of these drive bases I can answer questions. I learned a LOT. 

Doug Norton

Nice work. waytogo.gif  I bought one of these brand new back in the day.  The grease, any grease, will slowly creep and base oils separate over the years.  But it sure does look nice to clean the old off and put new in.

• dnorton618 likes this

#3 BRCoz

BRCoz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:14 PM

Looks like fun.  I have an LX10 mount from 1998.  De-forked around 2002, been sitting collecting dust.  LOL

Maybe one day I'll try it out.

• Skywatchr and dnorton618 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, Cassegrain

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics