•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to sell Thirteen Takahashi Telescopes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:26 PM

I need some advice.  As I have posted here fairly extensively, I have thirteen Takahashi telescopes.  

My granddaughter is in graduate school and I need to sell some of them to help her out.  

The problem is that I have determined I will not ship them.  I do not have the great triple nested Tak boxes.  I had nowhere to store them.  I do not trust UPS or Fed Ex to pack them safely enough.  

But, since I live in Nebraska there are not many potential buyers near here.  

So before I post a listing, I wanted to see if any of you have any ideas of how I should try to sell them, or if it is just wishful thinking that I can sell them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Tom

#2 sax

sax

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:33 PM

May be worth a quick blurb of what you have to gauge interest.  I'd think you can sell 4 of 13.  

#3 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:41 PM

Not shipping is going to be a tough one. Like you said I imagine the local market in Nebraska is pretty small, unless you live near some bigger cities (I assume they have a few of those there!). No harm in putting them out there as local pick up only, might get lucky with a buyer(s). Putting them up on both sites might also increase your odds somewhat.

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:43 PM

Just my opinion but  far better to get a 10 year home equity loan rather than sell the Taks

4 Taks =$12 k ?    Does not even cover room and board.

#5 Tom Graham

Tom Graham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:47 PM

Tom,

Welcome back. I had wondered where you’d been.

There’s nothing preventing you from listing them here and on AM. And I know that their “as new” condition will generate boundless inquiries. 

But I’m going to try to persuade you to change your mind and be willing to ship. Shipping is also increasingly expensive. But I’d strongly recommend that you select a reputable box company or shipping company local to you and plan to triple box them like Takahashi does. 

I’m certain that this effort now will produce a net cash benefit to you now now and will inform you of this same option if you choose to sell others in the future. And they will all sell VERY quickly. 

Good luck,

Tom

You can require a local pickup only, but as you realize the potential buyers will be far more limited and your time to sell much longer. 

#6 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: Flagstaff

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:48 PM

Agree with 'betacygni'  - just list them for pickup only and see what happens.  If you are firm about no shipping, state you will not respond to requests to ship, or you will be inundated with people trying to change your mind.  If it doesn't work out you can reconsider options. 

#7 Enance42

Enance42

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alton Il.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:53 PM

I have seen listings where the seller was willing to travel 100 miles or a couple hours to meet the buyer.

#8 Jim45157

Jim45157

Vostok 1

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:00 PM

you are going to haft to ship  

#9 KTAZ

KTAZ

Gemini

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:05 PM

The weather here in AZ is just beautiful in late October...make a trip and let me know when you're in town. grin.gif

#10 M44

M44

Viking 1

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:05 PM

Best place to sell this weekend/next week.

http://www.okie-tex.com

#11 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:06 PM

Announce that you are going to the OKIE/TEX star party and will have 6 scopes with you for sale. People can pay via Zelle/Venmo or bring cash. Make some deals before you go. Then have a wonderful star party experience and make some money for yourself. 

Rgrds-Ross

#12 M44

M44

Viking 1

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:07 PM

The weather here in AZ is just beautiful in late October...make a trip and let me know when you're in town. grin.gif

I can join in AZ from Socal. lol.gif

#13 Linn

Linn

Viking 1

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:09 PM

I know it is afar piece, but maybe contact our sponsor and see if they would be interested in a deal and maybe meet up halfway? 

#14 rrice

rrice

Sputnik

• Loc: Santa Fe, NM

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:11 PM

Send me a list, I’ll make an offer, then  drive to your location and take them all. I too collect Taks.

Robin

#15 wykbbb

wykbbb

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:12 PM

Have you contacted nearby astronomy clubs?  Maybe a astro club member would be interested.

Do you go to nearby star parties? You could post about your scopes in one of the star party threads to see if anyone is interested, and arrange to meet the buyer at the star party.

#16 zakry3323

zakry3323

Gemini

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:13 PM

I agree with the above, either offer to split packing/shipping/insurance from a reputable company with your potential buyers, or list them here for pickup at Okie-Tex. I don't think you'll have trouble moving them at 75% either way, and when a company is taking care of packing/shipping/insurance for you, most of the hassle is gone.  

#17 M44

M44

Viking 1

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:21 PM

when a company is taking care of packing/shipping/insurance for you, most of the hassle is gone.  

Tak scopes come with free shipping. When a company is packing/shipping, they can charge up to 10% to 15%, so the final price is only with 10% discount. 

#18 zakry3323

zakry3323

Gemini

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 22 September 2022 - 09:25 PM

Tak scopes come with free shipping. When a company is packing/shipping, they can charge up to 10% to 15%, so the final price is only with 10% discount. 

Good point. Split with the buyer for everyone's peace of mind....I still don't think they'd sit in the classifieds for too long.

#19 havasman

havasman

Hubble

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:02 PM

Anything can be shipped. It just costs more to pack well w/o the OE crates, etc. You should try the pick-up only thing though. It might just come through.

Okie-Tex would have been fertile ground for a motivated seller.

#20 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:12 PM

Thank you for the excellent input and suggestions.  Yes, I realize the pickup issue is a very limiting factor.  I am also limited in my ability to drive substantial distances, so that is a limiting factor.  I know that some people are willing to drive a distance to buy something.  (A guy from Denver is coming tomorrow to pick up two electronic keyboards I sold to him).  

I suppose I will just list them and see what happens.  

Thanks very much.  I appreciate it.

Tom

#21 M44

M44

Viking 1

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:23 PM

I suppose I will just list them and see what happens.  

You will have no problem selling on your terms, it make take little longer, but it can be done. 

#22 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:12 PM

Hate to say this (for any potential buyers here), but be aware Takahashi recently greatly upped their prices on many scopes, in case you missed that thread. The used prices they have sold for recently might not be their current values given this, but asking for more before the used market has adjusted might also delay any possible sales. Just something to be aware of, their value will likely increase after the used prices adjust upwards over time.

Edited by betacygni, 22 September 2022 - 11:14 PM.

#23 JerryX

JerryX

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 38N122W

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:16 PM

Just curious, do you collect telescopes like people collect coins? Test to make sure they work and then put them in your filtered room never to see starlight again?

#24 Polyphemos

Polyphemos

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Bay Area, California

Posted Yesterday, 12:23 AM

I have seen Thomas’s Takahashis when he invited me to have a look while I was traveling coast to coast.  They are indeed flawless, and are stored and maintained in a manner befitting priceless art.

Good luck, Thomas

#25 Stewc14

Stewc14

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pueblo West colorado

Posted Yesterday, 02:30 AM

I will watch for your ads. I have no problem traveling anywhere or have someone do it for me. We can pay cash for one or all at times.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics