•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Halley's Comet Dinner Announcement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bumm

bumm

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:27 PM

Having had a ball with Halley's Comet at it's 1985 - 86 apparition, and sadly having missed it's better 1910 apparition, I've become sort of an accumulator of 1910 Halley's Comet stuff.

I recently picked up this 11 x 4 1/2 inch announcement for a "Dinner to Halley's Comet," which evidently occurred on the evening of May 17th, 1910.  I'd expect it was an excuse for members of the Press Club of Chicago to get out of the house, have a few smokes, pal around a little, and drink too much, but I don't really know.

Anyway, I've never seen one of these before.  I've done some googling, but I can't find anything.  Has anyone in here ever heard of this event?  I'm kinda sorry I missed it...

Marty

Seems to show more legibly if you click on the pic...

Attached Thumbnails

• Dinner to Halley's Comet  (2).jpg

Edited by bumm, 23 September 2022 - 08:43 AM.

• JohnnyMac, Illinois, Castor and 8 others like this

#2 bumm

bumm

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:14 AM

Hmm.  Somehow I had a HARD time downsizing my scan and leaving it legible.  This pic from the ebay ad shows it a little better...

Attached Thumbnails

• Halley.jpg

• desertstars, Castor, BFaucett and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics