•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hi all, please, I need wise advice!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Rivas

David Rivas

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:07 PM

I purchased a second-hand Celestron Celestar 8 Deluxe a couple of months ago. Although I saved some money by purchasing such a scope this way, yet it cost me an arm and a leg!
The scope gave me wonderful planetary views and showed me a great deal of DSO(in spite of watching from a 4th limiting magnitude location). However, I made a huge mistake...there was a screw(from the ones that hold the corrector in place)which was very loose so I started to slowly tighten it...now I could not be more sad about such a stupid way of cracking my scope corrector plate.
I really feel sad, and the only thing I need to know is if I can trust Celestron technicians for a corrector replacement. I already contacted them and it would cost $325.00, no shipping included so I am afraid taxes and shipping will rise that amount to almost $900.00!! I considered buying a new OTA but it is still a little bit more expensive than that. Another question could be, do you know how succesful is Celestron's corrector replacement (have you ever met a person who did it and ended up happy?)
I look forward to reading your experienced advice! Thanks, David

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:32 PM

There shouldn't be any taxes unless you live in California, then you might pay sales tax on the corrector. How much could that be? Shipping the OTA might cost you between $50 and $100 each way. You don't say how bad the crack is. If it's just a half inch or less, don't worry about it. It shouldn't affect performance too much. If it gets bigger then it may be time to replace it. Celestron will do a good job in matching it up with your primary. I wouldn't worry about that.

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:37 PM

I could have written the above post word for word... :bow:

#4 David Rivas

David Rivas

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

I feel better now! :jump:
Thanks a lot Don! now I got things clearer. Thank you very much Stelios but I am afraid both of you (and the rest of the Forum users) deserve my introduction in order to figure out better my taxes and shipping problem.
I live in Lima-Peru, the land of Cuzco and Incas!
As you can see, I got to send the scope to a relative who lives in the US to achieve this task. She would send the scope to Celestron facilities later(previous authorization number) Once repaired, Celestron would send it back to my relative address(US) and then she would have to send it back to Peru... that's why it is expensive.
NOW, IF YOU TELL ME CELESTRON WILL MATCH MY SCOPE'S CORRECTOR UP THE BEST WAY WITH ITS PRIMARY...I REALLY FEEL FAR BETTER!!(the crack runs from the secondary to one side of the plate, like a line)
I can still get great views on planets at the center of the fov, but the edge of field correction is leaving a little bit to desire (especially with the 26 mm plossl). On the other hand, I am afraid the corrector end up breaking the primary mirror by falling on it
Well, I am really happy to be a part of this Forum, Thank you so much! and I would appreciate if there was something else you could tell me about this problem.
David.

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:04 PM

Ah, if the crack is that big, then you don't have much choice. I imagine the shipping would be a problem too.

Welcome to Cloudy Nights and good luck.

#6 David Rivas

David Rivas

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:09 AM

Thank you once again Don! Take care and I hope to contribute with this forum the way it contributes with me: A LOT!!!!!!! as I am a newbie, it might take a little while... :sleepy: Clear skies Don!
David.

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:34 AM

Hi David and welcome:
I've been down this road. The screws on the retaining ring for the corrector plate are suppose to be just tight enough to make contact. I removed my corrector plate and snugged the screws rather lightly. The next day, I had a crack like yours. :bawling: Althought I couldn't really see any effect on my views, I did send it into Celestron. You can trust their service department to do a great job. They are sometimes slow in getting back to you, and have been very busy after they moved to a new building, but your scope will be in very good hands.

I picked up a pair of binoculars to keep me occupied while my scope was away. Binos provide great views and an excellent way to learn the sky. Good luck!

#8 David Rivas

David Rivas

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:48 AM

Hi Dennis,
Thank you very much! I feel relieved to know you reinforce my decision of sending my scope to a trusty Celestron technical support. Even more when you have had the same problem and everything ended up in a great job!
I feel very happy now that I have gotten nice and hopeful replies like yours!
God bless you Dennis! and I am going to follow your advice of "keeping me occupied" with binoculars while my scope is away (I guess I will send my scope next month when I finish to gather the needed money...)
Believe me, I will never even touch any screw but the collimation ones!
Clear skies Dennis! :bow:
David.

#9 gazerjim

gazerjim

Cosmos

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:44 PM

Ouch!
Sorry to hear about your situation; also, thanks all for the warnings. Unless you can catch a used corrector plate that matches the primary, only choice is to send it to Celestron. Aside from the cost, I wouldn't worry about the quality of results. Your scope will probably come back even better than it was originally.
Good luck,

Jim

#10 David Rivas

David Rivas

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:52 PM

Hi Robert!
I love to hear the last part of your message!...If so, I am going to be very busy saving more money to purchase a Televue Everbright Dielectric diagonal, a TMB Super Mono 10mm, and a focal reducer f/6.3 to cover all kind of observing. No doubt I'd be the happiest man on the world!!!!!!! :jump:

#11 David Rivas

David Rivas

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:46 AM

ooppss...Sorry Robert, I got so excited about the possibility of getting my scope back even better than it was originally that I forgot to thank you...:foreheadslap:
As you can see astronomy is one of the best things in my life!(I guess you share with me similar feelings about it)I love my scope, and every hopeful information I receive makes me feel very happy! Thank you very, very much !
Sincerely,
David

#12 gazerjim

gazerjim

Cosmos

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:11 PM

David: Thanks for the reply. Best of luck with your scope and new hobby.
From time to time, people on the forum mistake the name under the quote by Robert Heinlein for my name. Although I would love to be a successful Sci Fi writer, my name is Jim.
Looking forward to seeing some ccd images taken with your repaired scope some day!

Good seeing,

Jim

#13 David Rivas

David Rivas

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:43 AM

Jim,
You cannot imagine how silly I feel about the fact of having mistaken such author's name for yours...
Although "I was helped by the excitement", I just can't help feeling bad about it!
Please Jim I am sorry!!
All I can add is my promise of keeping you posted about the repairment, as my friend you already are! And, of course, some day (as I do want to take ccd shots in the near future) I will show them all to you in order to know what you think about my skill, to improve it!
Excellent seeing Jim!
David

#14 gazerjim

gazerjim

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:35 PM

David: Welcome to the "I feel silly" club! Actually, the signature was a bit confusing. I have added my name before the quote. Robert Heinlein is one of my heroes, anyway.
Good luck with your scope repair. Let us know how it is coming.

Best regards,

Jim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics