•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Case (aka coffin) finished for my Meade 7" refractor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deanbrown3d

deanbrown3d

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2022 - 11:58 PM

One of my summer projects was to make a box to store / transport the (enormous) 178mm ED APO optical tube. Here's how it turned out. It's 6'6" long, but fits into my (also ancient) '99 LS400 with the passenger seat down. The wheels do come off.

A few times recently I have gone with the Vixen to a local graveyard to observe (it has fewer trees). Not sure if I want to be seen carrying this around though smile.gif "It really is just a telescope officer!"

Attached Thumbnails

• ED-APO-178a.jpg
  • ED-APO-178b.jpg

• plyscope, Jim Waters, clamchip and 8 others like this

#2 deanbrown3d

deanbrown3d

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:10 AM

On the top left of the dew shield, you can see a little black 'dot'. That's one of three small holes I drilled so that I can gain quick access to the radial alignment screws. It should make it much easier to adjust on-the-fly without clambering up on a ladder and removing the thing.

• AstroKerr likes this

#3 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:59 AM

One of my summer projects was to make a box to store / transport the (enormous) 178mm ED APO optical tube. Here's how it turned out. It's 6'6" long, but fits into my (also ancient) '99 LS400 with the passenger seat down. The wheels do come off.

A few times recently I have gone with the Vixen to a local graveyard to observe (it has fewer trees). Not sure if I want to be seen carrying this around though smile.gif "It really is just a telescope officer!"

Should provide good protection.  I made a tube for a 5 inch f15 refractor that way.  Was heavy, my mistake was using plywood too thick instead of a frame of 1x1 wood and thinner plywood. 

#4 astronz59

astronz59

Apollo

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:12 AM

You must have very long arms....! lol.gif

• JohnnyMac likes this

#5 deanbrown3d

deanbrown3d

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:44 AM

You must have very long arms....! lol.gif

What you need is really thin hands. I didn't leave much space on the sides, and can only just get it in there! What I do is: left hand grabs one of the scope handles near the back, and right hand forward and over the front, just behind the lens. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:27 PM

I think he was imagining you turning the alignment screws while looking through the focuser. 

I thought about making a box like this for my 152ED, but I built one just for a Unitron 114 tripod/mount, and it was so heavy, compared to the thin pine Unitron used, that I thought again.

I take the 152 to observing nights with my students a few times a year, and wanted to protect it during transit. Instead, I ended up making a pair of closed-cell foam U pieces like the ones that are in the original Meade box, and I just have it ride in the back of my car with those. They keep it padded and prevent rolling.

Mine also mounts with a couple of Parallax rings on a dovetail, so I made a lightweight handle that spans the top of the rings, which lets me carry it with one hand, and using two I can maneuver it fairly well.

Chip W. 

#7 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:50 PM

I think the long arms statement is because it has hand holes at each end of the box.

#8 firemachine69

firemachine69

Apollo

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:03 PM

Y'all need some handles on that beast! bow.gif

#9 deanbrown3d

deanbrown3d

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2022 - 04:32 AM

Y'all need some handles on that beast! bow.gif

Handle is on the front, wheels on the back. I put a little box on the inside to seal that handle hole from the elements - I don’t want mice moving in. But yes, more handles would be good

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics