•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

An example

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scrufy

scrufy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:40 AM

So, many years of experience but toss that out. I’ve been moving to a new house for 2 years with construction etc. no real viewing except binoculars.

I set up my 9.25 Edge and a 7x35 binoculars tonight. First time from new house and a lot of critters- see my post on scary critters haha.

I left my iPad running low music for the critters.

I saw Jupiter, amazing, Saturn, but the rings are not angled toward us right now so hard to pick out Cassini etc… /Jupiter was as always amazing. Saw 7 moons. Looked to M31, no problem, nice views. Pinwheel was visible but very hard to make out. Pleadies was in my binoculars and lowest mag from the 9.25 was tough. The binoculars win here.

fecided to try for more from my bortle 8 sky/. The double cluster was visible from the 7x35 binocs and my 9.25 easily.

for some reason I can’t resolve the elephant trunk nebula. Seem to remember doing that visual (I’m heavy into astrophotography so may be confused).

anyway, nice night. First light at new house.

also forgot Saturn looked great as always.

seeing wasn’t the best but did make out the bands on Jupiter.

• Diana N, vtornado and SkyHunter1 like this

#2 aeajr

aeajr

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for posting your observing report.  Sounds like a great night.

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Hubble

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:01 PM

Seven moons of Jupiter, impressive...https://www.cloudyni...around-jupiter/

Don't know about Elephant Trunk. From Bortle 8?

Scott

#4 scrufy

scrufy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:09 PM

Good catch, that was a typo, should have said 3 moons.

It was a fun night. My biggest problem is deciding exactly where I want to put in a pier.

#5 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Az

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:46 PM

Nice report! IC 1396 (Elephant’s Trunk) needs darker skies. I’ve seen it from a dark site in the 17.5”, but it’s quite dim.

#6 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• Loc: New Lebanon, NY and Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:29 AM

Saturn, but the rings are not angled toward us right now so hard to pick out Cassini etc…

Actually, Saturn's tilt is reasonably favorable right now. But the Cassini Division can be hard to see in mediocre conditions.

For some reason I can’t resolve the elephant trunk nebula.

The Elephant's Trunk is a tiny indentation in huge IC 1396, tough to spot visually even with big telescopes under pristine skies. There's no way you're going to see IC 1396 under Bortle-8 skies, even with a nebula filter. Moreover, it's far too big for a 9.25-inch SCT.
  • KWB and Voyager 3 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics