•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Roof observatory?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Razvans Astrophotography

Razvans Astrophotography

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:17 AM

Thinking of making an observatory in my roof to get over the trees in my garden, first of all, is there anyone that has built/has a roof observatory? Building one will give me the hole sky to work with but i really dont know where to start, my roof is triangle shaped and im thinking of adding a pretty big window that can open itself when im imaging, my telescope will pop out the window just able to peek over the top of my roof. Im afraid of the vibrations its going to have but considering ill be in my room far away from it, i wont see any problems... I hope. Is this a good idea or should i just chop down the trees( hopefully not )?
  • lee14 likes this

#2 lee14

lee14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:49 AM

The potential issue here is the heat rising from the roof at large, and the opening itself. If your viewing is low power visual or AP, it may not be an issue at all, but if higher powers are used, expect an additional variable to affect the seeing. Vibration is less of an issue if there is no movement in the vicinity of the scope. There certainly is an attraction to be able to view without leaving the house.

Don't chop down the trees, the best viewing is around the zenith anyway. I'd prefer (and have had) higher quality views though restricted to overhead only, rather than whole sky availability that includes poor images closer to the horizon.

Lee

#3 lee14

lee14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:57 AM

My flip-open sky access in a roof dormer. It was fine, though rather cramped, for low power views and AP.

Lee

Attached Thumbnails

• Exterior.jpg

• mikerepp and Noto like this

#4 Razvans Astrophotography

Razvans Astrophotography

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:00 AM

The potential issue here is the heat rising from the roof at large, and the opening itself. If your viewing is low power visual or AP, it may not be an issue at all, but if higher powers are used, expect an additional variable to affect the seeing. Vibration is less of an issue if there is no movement in the vicinity of the scope. There certainly is an attraction to be able to view without leaving the house.

Don't chop down the trees, the best viewing is around the zenith anyway. I'd prefer (and have had) higher quality views though restricted to overhead only, rather than whole sky availability that includes poor images closer to the horizon.

Lee

im using it for AP at about 325 fl, i wont be imaging any targets low horizon but ive never been able to image either in the western, southern, and eastern part of the sky theres trees everywhere around me and i just want to be able to get over them
  • lee14 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics