•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter with Io (animation), September 7; Mars September 20

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:56 AM

It's been a dismal month for planetary imaging in Seattle. While we've had a good number of clear nights, seeing has been consistently poor. I had one good Jupiter image on September 1 (previously posted), another below average image the day after, and then this. I sat on the stacked images for this animation until yesterday, and I was only motivated to finish processing when another week of poor seeing made me think that this could be the best of what I get from now on.

This is the end of an Io occultation. Seeing was fairly average until dropping off halfway through the 10 minute capture period. Io becomes dimmer in the images with poorer seeing. To meet file size requirements, I had to scale to 90% and reduce the quality of the GIF (lower dither %, drop to 128 colours). There's a noticeable graininess, especially with Io in the 2x inset, but even with best quality and 100% scale I couldn't fix that.

Each of the 14 animation frames was created by stacking data from 40 s of the capture period (35% of 10 000 frames each).

UT 09:05 to UT 09:14

Jup_090503_01_to_14_s.gif

Nexstar Evolution 9.25 with 2x Barlow and ADC. ASI224MC camera.

• PrestonE, JMP, sfugardi and 27 others like this

#2 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:56 AM

Here's an image created from the best 3 minutes of the animation capture period.

2022-09-07-0910_0b.png

Mars hasn't been any better, although I haven't tried as much now that it's far enough away from Jupiter that it needs a separate imaging session. No fine details in this one from September 20, but I like the cloud of the North Polar Hood. With an altitude of 63° during capture, I had to rotate the camera so the cable pointed upwards to avoid it hitting the mount, something that's never been a concern before with the planets so low for the last several years.

2022-09-20-1223_5rsb_c.png

Edited by KiwiRay, 23 September 2022 - 10:07 AM.

• PrestonE, D_talley, JMP and 25 others like this

#3 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:52 AM

Lovely shots, Ray. We might get some decent seeing this weekend-

• KiwiRay likes this

#4 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:18 AM

Lovely shots, Ray. We might get some decent seeing this weekend-

Thanks, Jeff. I haven't seen anything from you for a while - have you been experiencing poorer conditions too?

Yes, some better seeing predicted tonight and tomorrow, but also cloud likely here. Clear on Monday morning (opposition), but with a poorer seeing forecast again. That's been the story of September!

#5 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:11 PM

Went on a road trip, managed to show a family their first view of Saturn with a six inch Nexstar. I was out of town for for the power outages and the smoke that blotted out the sunlight two weeks ago. Just fired up the big scope last night for the first time in weeks, haven't processed anything yet. The rain is welcome after such a dry summer, forest is still burning just east of Eugene.

• KiwiRay likes this

#6 Borodog

Borodog

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:24 PM

Great stuff. However, I will once again champion bounces instead of loops.

• KiwiRay likes this

#7 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:56 PM

I usually do bounces, but haven't for my eclipse/occultation animations. The main reason is probably that getting this thing to work with 14 frames and 29 Photoshop layers takes long enough - correctly selecting all the layers for another 13 frames isn't worth my time. But also (and I can't really explain why) something seems wrong about running an eclipse or occultation in reverse, even though bouncing a more typical planet animation feels OK. <Shrug>

Edited by KiwiRay, 23 September 2022 - 02:59 PM.

#8 Tulloch

Tulloch

Aurora

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:25 PM

Great images Ray, perfect animation and a great Mars, something almost impossible down here frown.gif.

I much prefer loops, after all, that's the correct way that the moon/planet is moving. 

With an altitude of 63° during capture, I had to rotate the camera so the cable pointed upwards to avoid it hitting the mount, something that's never been a concern before with the planets so low for the last several years.

Looks like you are starting to have the same issues as I've been having over the past few years - a good problem to have, but it does require some extra thought on how you connect everything so you don't damage the equipment. I slide my C9.25" as far forward in the Evo mount as it will go, then use the bare minimum of connectors to reduce the overall train length. With a barlow, ADC, camera and an adapter or two, I've got the total length down to under 95mm so I can safely slew to any elevation angle (up to zenith) without having to worry about the camera hitting the mount. It looks like this.

https://www.cloudyni...ion/?p=12124294

However, this configuration doesn't allow you to rotate the camera, fortuately the long axis of the sensor is perpendicular to the ADC bubble so it's not too much of an issue, but I might need a camera rotator in the future, something like this perhaps?

https://agenaastro.c...hread-r-04.html

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 23 September 2022 - 04:32 PM.

• KiwiRay likes this

#9 Lopper

Lopper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:06 PM

Nice work, Ray! Beautiful images and wonderful presentation. Thanks for sharing!

Have you ever posted your typical processing workflow on CN? If you have and could share the link to that post, I would really like to read it. I'm a fellow C9.25 and ASI224MC user and I'd like to see how your processing approach works with some of my data because the images that you post always look so nice. I know the specifics of processing will vary from one capture to another depending on target, data quality, etc., but if you could share some of the basic steps you perform that would be great. For example, I typically do deconvolution on individual AS!3 stacks in Fitswork, then color balance and apply very slight wavelet sharpening in R6, then derotate and combine the individual images in WJ, then take the single composite image back into R6 for a little more wavelet sharpening (sometimes), then into Image Analyzer for contrast enhancement, color noise reduction, vibrancy boost, and black level correction. Any parallels there to your workflow?

Matt

• KiwiRay likes this

#10 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:12 PM

Looks like you are starting to have the same issues as I've been having over the past few years - a good problem to have, but it does require some extra thought on how you connect everything so you don't damage the equipment. I slide my C9.25" as far forward in the Evo mount as it will go, then use the bare minimum of connectors to reduce the overall train length. With a barlow, ADC, camera and an adapter or two, I've got the total length down to under 95mm so I can safely slew to any elevation angle (up to zenith) without having to worry about the camera hitting the mount. It looks like this.

https://www.cloudyni...ion/?p=12124294

Thanks, Andrew. I just measured the length of my imaging train at 132 mm. Looks like about 20 mm of the difference with yours is the end of the ADC where the camera nosepiece is inserted, which you've removed. I still have 6 cm left to slide the OTA further up if I need to, and with Mars maxing out at 67° later in the year, I should be OK without having to modify the train. If not, I could just remove the ADC by that point.

• Tulloch likes this

#11 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:37 PM

Nice work, Ray! Beautiful images and wonderful presentation. Thanks for sharing!

Have you ever posted your typical processing workflow on CN?

Thanks, Matt!

I recently posted something for Mars on my workflow:

https://www.cloudyni...alance-process/

If I'm using WinJUPOS, it would go Registax->WinJUPOS->Photoshop. Photoshop is used for any post-WinJUPOS sharpening, along with colour balance, levels (histogram), exposure adjustment (including gamma), noise reduction, edge rind mitigation, and image scaling. Mars, Jupiter and Saturn each have their own saved Registax wavelets which I'll adjust slightly depending on the individual stack. I'll start with an auto-colour balance in Registax for Mars and Saturn, but all other post-processing in Photoshop. Saturns rings are processed separately as in Darryl's tutorial that someone recently re-posted the link to.

I feel like I've arrived at a process that produces pretty consistent results that I like the look of, and so I almost never vary much from following the same steps each time. Happy to provide more details if you're interested!

• Lopper likes this

#12 Lopper

Lopper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:17 PM

Thanks, Matt!

I recently posted something for Mars on my workflow:

https://www.cloudyni...alance-process/

If I'm using WinJUPOS, it would go Registax->WinJUPOS->Photoshop. Photoshop is used for any post-WinJUPOS sharpening, along with colour balance, levels (histogram), exposure adjustment (including gamma), noise reduction, edge rind mitigation, and image scaling. Mars, Jupiter and Saturn each have their own saved Registax wavelets which I'll adjust slightly depending on the individual stack. I'll start with an auto-colour balance in Registax for Mars and Saturn, but all other post-processing in Photoshop. Saturns rings are processed separately as in Darryl's tutorial that someone recently re-posted the link to.

I feel like I've arrived at a process that produces pretty consistent results that I like the look of, and so I almost never vary much from following the same steps each time. Happy to provide more details if you're interested!

Thanks for the link, Ray! Although now I'm a little embarrassed because 1) that post is recent, which means that I should have remembered seeing it, and 2) I posted a comment in that thread, which means that I REALLY should have remembered seeing it. Sometimes my 2 neurons don't shake hands very well.

I would really like to apply your typical R6 wavelet settings for Jupiter on what I consider to be my best Jupiter stacks to date to see if your settings produce a better result than what I usually employ in my workflow. If it's not too much of an imposition, would you be able to post a screen capture of your R6 wavelet settings for Jove?

#13 Foc

Foc

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:37 PM

A very nice Mars in particular!

• KiwiRay likes this

#14 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Australia

Posted 24 September 2022 - 04:17 AM

Really love the animation! Cool how you have the cut out zoom aspect in there. Would love to know what software you used to achieve that final blend of the two images
  • KiwiRay likes this

#15 sfugardi

sfugardi

Skylab

• Loc: MA

Posted 24 September 2022 - 08:33 AM

Ray, excellent image set! The animation is awesome. Mars looks great. Congrats on these and thanks for posting them

Regards,

Steve

• KiwiRay likes this

#16 leoyasu

leoyasu

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:54 AM

A very nice Mars in particular!

+1! That's one good looking Mars

• KiwiRay likes this

#17 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the additional comments, Ross, Roger and Steve and Leo.

Roger: I just use Photoshop to combine images. Each frame is a combination of three layers: one has the full image, the second has a cropped version at 2x the scale placed in the corner, and the third has the white outline frame. The outline frame is drawn in Photoshop and selected as a layer for all animation frames. If you have Photoshop, these animations are fairly straightforward to create but are a bit tedious. You take your first image (the background layer) and then paste all subsequent images as layers into that image. The animation tool then allows you to create a sequence of frames and you select which layers appear in each frame.

Edited by KiwiRay, 24 September 2022 - 10:30 AM.

• RodgerDodger008 likes this

#18 RodgerDodger008

RodgerDodger008

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Australia

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for the additional comments, Ross, Roger and Steve and Leo.

Roger: I just use Photoshop to combine images. Each frame is a combination of three layers: one has the full image, the second has a cropped version at 2x the scale placed in the corner, and the third has the white outline frame. The outline frame is drawn in Photoshop and selected as a layer for all animation frames. If you have Photoshop, these animations are fairly straightforward to create but are a bit tedious. You take your first image (the background layer) and then paste all subsequent images as layers into that image. The animation tool then allows you to create a sequence of frames and you select which layers appear in each frame.

Still very new at this so been using GIMP but wow this is very cool info. Maybe time to invest in photoshop.

Thanks for explaining your process so clearly

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics