•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding a night to several nights already processed with WBPP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:19 AM

Yesterday I processed 3 nights of data on M31 using WBPP.  Last night I captured another night's worth of data.  For each night have flats and lights and I have grouping setup to apply the correct flats to the correct lights.  I also have a master bias and master darks for each of my two exposure times (using LRGB filters).

My question is can I use WBPP and select the calibrated lights (which have the correct group naming in their file names) and yesterday's imaging folder and have only last night's data get calibrated but all the data get weighted/measured/registered/integrated?

#2 sbharrat

sbharrat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:35 AM

I do this all the time by leaving out the integration step in WBPP. For the registration step, I typically use the stacked image for the previous nights. Then I run integration as a separate step using all the registered frames. 

• mborland and jpengstrom like this

#3 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:11 PM

I do this all the time by leaving out the integration step in WBPP. For the registration step, I typically use the stacked image for the previous nights. Then I run integration as a separate step using all the registered frames. 

So the process is to load up the new night's Lights, Flats, master Dark, and master Bias and turn off "Local Normalization", and "Image Integration".  Before running WBPP on the new night select the Registration master image to be the stack of the previous nights' images.  Then run WBPP which should just create files for the new night in the "calibrated" and
registered" folders.  And I assume you can load up all of the registered images from all nights  (with no darks or biases) and select only "Local Normalization" and "Image Integration" to integrate them in WBPP?  Or do you run the Local Normalization and Integration processes manually?

Edited by jpengstrom, 23 September 2022 - 12:22 PM.

#4 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:27 PM

In one way I think I'm answering, but also questioning the same thing grin.gif

What I do is naming my separate nights to sessions, so I got Session_1 folder , Session_2 etc. Doesn't matter what word, can be "Night_1, Night_2 for example.

In WBPP I select to group by keywords (SESSION) 

Now, I usually don't have them developed right away so I do the integration for all.  I also do this if I have previous night integration, because I've been avoiding to try out new (and possibly simpler) methods. 

What I haven't tried yet is to use the calibrated frames from previous nights (in WBPP), which are calibrated with darks and flats already and just don't add darks and biases and flats in WBPP, just leave them as one session the way they are. 

So in theory if I just put those in in the session folder and don't add flats and darks to them, they should still work. The other Session folder with undeveloped lights, I got the flats and darks and bias. 

The other way is , when you got nothing, but  calibrated lights , from that point on it doesn't matter when it was taken, so all the calibrated lights can be processed without WBPP by just going to processes-integration and not dealing with WBPP. 

What I haven't figured out how I am benefitting from having the "registered" lights for future purposes, since there are other files in the folder beside the calibrated lights,  not sure if these help with any additional sessions . I just delete them and only keep the calibrated lights. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 23 September 2022 - 12:34 PM.

#5 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:42 PM

In one way I think I'm answering, but also questioning the same thing grin.gif

What I do is naming my separate nights to sessions, so I got Session_1 folder , Session_2 etc. Doesn't matter what word, can be "Night_1, Night_2 for example.

In WBPP I select to group by keywords (SESSION) 

Now, I usually don't have them developed right away so I do the integration for all.  I also do this if I have previous night integration, because I've been avoiding to try out new (and possibly simpler) methods. 

What I haven't tried yet is to use the calibrated frames from previous nights (in WBPP), which are calibrated with darks and flats already and just don't add darks and biases and flats. 

So in theory if I just put those in in the session folder and don't add flats and darks to them, they should still work. The other Session folder with undeveloped lights, I got the flats and darks and bias. 

The other way is , when you got nothing, but  calibrated lights , from that point on it doesn't matter when it was taken, so all the calibrated lights can be processed without WBPP by just going to processes-integration and not dealing with WBPP. 

I think we're in a very similar boat. smile.gif. I like the "Local Normalization" step in WBPP, and while I can do that manually and then do the integration step manually, it's just easier if WBPP will do that for me.  From what I can tell there is no special FITs header that indicates the light has already been calibrated.  So it appears that if you load a light from the calibrated folder into WBPP it will still want to calibrate it as long as it finds a matching dark and flat.  That prevents loading the previous registered lights along with the new night's data into the same WBPP session.

And yes, grouping is an amazing feature of WBPP.  My folder structure is as follows:

DATE_09-20-2022/
  FLAT/

TARGET_M31/

LIGHT/

DATE_09-21-2022/

FLAT/

TARGET_2022/

LIGHT/

I have two grouping keywords in WBPP, DATE and TARGET.  DATE is selected as just Pre in the Grouping Keywords and TARGET is selected as both Pre and Post.  Also, I have Registration set to Mode auto by TARGET.  That way I can shoot one set of flats per night and have the lights calibrated with the appropriate master flat that gets created.  And I can also shoot more than one target and the registration and integration are done per target.

#6 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:34 PM

Frank, FYI I ran through WBPP with my last night of data, turning off "Local Normalization" and "Image Integration" on the right side of the "Lights" tab.  I selected my stack from the integration of previous 3 nights of runs as the Registration Reference Image in the lower right of the WBPP window.  This produced a new set of files in the calibrated and registered subfolders of the output folder (set at the bottom right of the WBPP window).  Then I Reset WBPP and clears the file list, clicked on the "Files" button and selected just the files under the registered folder.  WBPP's calibration tab has a yellow warning triangle that, when clicked on, shows "WARNINGS, No matching Master Bias, Master Dar and Master Flat found.  Light frames will be integrated without being calibrated." which is perfect!  I went to the Lights tab and turned on only Local Normalization and Image Integration and the new Pipeline tab shows the correct steps for measuring, rejecting bad frames, generating local normalization references, running local normalization, and finally running integration.

This process will be MUCH faster than having to re-run the entire WBPP process of all nights just to add a new night to your data!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics