•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen Custom D

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:23 AM

I have a Porta 2 on the way and plan to put it on a Bogen 3068, a Unistar Deluxe on a Losmandy LW, and the small Takahashi Teegul. I’ve come across a Custom D with the counterweight and long slow motion controls. Since I’ll have the extra set of Porta legs and its tray, i was thinking about getting the Custom D for use with a C5 or Orion Argonaut 6”.

How well does the mount perform when cleaned and lubricated? Is the counterweight one piece or segmented so the weight can be reduced for lighter loads?

#2 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:38 AM

Below are 2 reviews. When the mount was being produced, it usually got good reviews.

HERE is link one. HERE is link two.

Bob

#3 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:02 PM

I had a Vixen Custom D twenty years ago and really liked it. I acquired my Porta II about eight or ten years later and like it a lot more. The Porta II is just a much better thought out design. The things I didn’t like about the Custom D were that the counterweights were permanently attached to the counterweight shaft, (I was always afraid I would mess up the threads when I took it off for transport, and also the alt-az gearing wasn’t 360° worm gears so resets were required every 20 or 30°. On the other hand, it was very stable and handled my 4” F9 Vixen refractor well at the time (but not the 120mm which was about the same length). I sold mine along with almost everything else a couple years later during a big move and career change. People do seem to like them though, because they hardly ever come up for sale. Overall I would say it’s a good meal but it does have the quirks that I mentioned. I would also say that the load capability of the custom D and the porta II are very similar.

Edited by Terra Nova, 23 September 2022 - 12:06 PM.

#4 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:28 PM

Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics