•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ultra portable rig

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 soundguy

soundguy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:37 AM

I've been playing around with a small lightweight ultra portable rig for for both AP and quick EAA sessions. The idea being that when an opportunity arises for some shooting unexpectedly, it's ready to go. I have levelled pucks screwed to the patio where the tripod goes so no levelling needed. Just plonk the tripod down and start polar alignment.

The gear I am using was all chosen to be very lightwieght as I am partially disabled.

The inspiration for this came from Cuiv the Lazy Geek and Andrea Minoia from Youtube.

The rig consists of

Skywatcher Evoguide 50ED Main scope with field flattener

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount on Skywatcher tripod

ZWO Asi585MC main camera

Astro Essentials 128mm guidescope

ZWO Asi120Mini guide camera

ZWO AsiAir Plus

Portable scope

The rig is very light and easy to use. I had just about given up on being able to do any kind of astronomy as my 150mm  Newtonian scope and mount had simply become too heavy and difficult for me to use. 

Just thought this might be of some use or inspiration for anyone who struggles with moving heavy gear around. It's all very well having the latest mega solid tripods and mounts but if you cant use them then what's the point?

Accepting your limitations and tailoring your gear accordingly is actually quite liberating. I have found that instead of worrying  about the next piece of gear (upgrade-itis) I now simply enjoy getting what I can from a very easy to use system.

• ArizonaScott, Ed L., carver2011 and 4 others like this

#2 hyiger

hyiger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:13 PM

I did the same, downsized from a C11 on an EQ6 with a laptop to a GT81 on a ZWO AM5 with an ASIAir Plus. I still pull out the C11 but not as often now and mostly for planets and small-ish galaxies and planetary nebula. For everything else, my refractor. 

I started my mobile journey by getting the 81mm refractor and having a mount shipped to my parent's house on the east coast (I live in California). Now with the AM5 I can carry that on the plane with me as well. Visiting a cousin in the Arizona desert so being able to throw everything in a carry-on bag is a huge win. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics