•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

skywatcher AZ-GTi syscan pro alignment problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shane1200

Shane1200

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Florida

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:18 PM

I'm using the syscan pro app on my Samsung Fe 20 phone.  I tried all the different alignment methods and have the same problem each. I  get to the manual alignment part and press the button with the star when I have the star centered and nothing happens. It did work once out  of 20 times I tried it and went to my second alignment star.  I purchased the mount new and have been using about 5 times outside.  I attempted 3 times in row today inside to see if anything would work.

Any suggestions?  I did the reset and powered off the mount each time to see if that would help. 

Should I uninstall the app and reinstall it again to see if that will fix it? 

• sevenofnine likes this

#2 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

• Loc: North Cheshire, UK

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:24 PM

To complete the alignment,  you need to finish with an 'up' and a 'right' movement.  This ensures consistency with regard to backlash. 

When you've done this the 'star' button changes slightly to show it's active. 

Of course,  if you're already doing this,  I'm not sure what to suggest. 

#3 Lizardman

Lizardman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 September 2022 - 06:25 PM

Do you have the slewing speed set to low?

#4 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:01 PM

I have this mount but use the regular SynScan app. with an iPhone. It does seem like something's wrong with the app. Removing and reinstalling might fix it. Try that first as it won't hurt.

Following every step carefully solved my problems with this mount. It's a WiFi phone app. connected to a mechanical mount. Lots of failure points. Miss one and it's a no-go. This is my step by step:

1) turn on mount and connect to WiFi...SynScan_8f50

2) open SynScan on phone

3) touch alignment symbol... the telescope

4) choose North-level alignment

5) I use Polaris as first star

6) choose 2nd star in southerly direction

7) begin alignment

8) physically level the telescope!

9)  point it to true north

10) tighten both clutches!!

11) center Polaris using a high power eyepiece

12) finish with up and right keys

13) same procedure with 2nd star

14 )always finish the centering with up & right keys

Forgetting to tighten both clutches and physically level the telescope were my mistakes. It drove me crazy. Loose clutches cause no scope movement and not leveling the scope causes wild movements. It works fine now that I follow all the steps. Centering Polaris exactly will give you more accurate finding objects. Take your time with this.

Best of luck to you and I hope this helps borg.gif  

Edited by sevenofnine, 23 September 2022 - 09:01 PM.

#5 Lizardman

Lizardman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:46 AM

I have this mount but use the regular SynScan app. with an iPhone. It does seem like something's wrong with the app. Removing and reinstalling might fix it. Try that first as it won't hurt.

Following every step carefully solved my problems with this mount. It's a WiFi phone app. connected to a mechanical mount. Lots of failure points. Miss one and it's a no-go. This is my step by step:

1) turn on mount and connect to WiFi...SynScan_8f50

2) open SynScan on phone

3) touch alignment symbol... the telescope

4) choose North-level alignment

5) I use Polaris as first star

6) choose 2nd star in southerly direction

7) begin alignment

8) physically level the telescope!

9)  point it to true north

10) tighten both clutches!!

11) center Polaris using a high power eyepiece

12) finish with up and right keys

13) same procedure with 2nd star

14 )always finish the centering with up & right keys

Forgetting to tighten both clutches and physically level the telescope were my mistakes. It drove me crazy. Loose clutches cause no scope movement and not leveling the scope causes wild movements. It works fine now that I follow all the steps. Centering Polaris exactly will give you more accurate finding objects. Take your time with this.

Best of luck to you and I hope this helps borg.gif  

Ok you level the scope after beginning the alignment ? Iam confused here isnt the scope moving?

#6 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

Posted 24 September 2022 - 12:05 PM

Ok you level the scope after beginning the alignment ? Iam confused here isnt the scope moving?

No,  i think they level the scope after selecting the North Level option, but before doing any actual alignment. 

• Lizardman likes this

#7 Shane1200

Shane1200

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Florida

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the information.  I reinstalled the app.  I press the up & right arrows and the button with star(*) became enabled and I was able move to the second alignment star.   I think I would prefer to use a  handset. I had one on my skywatcher goto dob which I liked. Too bad I sold it a few months ago.   Would  the Sky-Watcher SynScan v5 Hand Controller work on the az gti mount?   

#8 gfamily

gfamily

Viking 1

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for the information.  I reinstalled the app.  I press the up & right arrows and the button with star(*) became enabled and I was able move to the second alignment star.   I think I would prefer to use a  handset. I had one on my skywatcher goto dob which I liked. Too bad I sold it a few months ago.   Would  the Sky-Watcher SynScan v5 Hand Controller work on the az gti mount?   

The nice thing about using the phone is that you can connect proper planetarium apps (Stellarium Plus or Sky Safari Plus/Pro), so you can just click and Go to targets. An advantage of this is that you can click on  a bright star near to your fainter target and refine the alignment before making a short hop to the final target - having a proper sky map helps with this. 

#9 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Vanguard

Posted 27 September 2022 - 10:26 AM

Yes I use a SScan Hand Controller, I also use a RS232 to USB device to control after alignment on Sky Safari (iMac computer).  Everything works very well.   Pat Utah :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics