•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Duvetyne or Commando Cloth hood?

Accessories DIY
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxhaw NC [34° 55' 28" N / 80° 44' 36" W]

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:29 PM

Not sure what forum is the best for this, so if it needs to be moved... 

I bought a piece of commando or duvetyne cloth to block stray light - 55" x 72".  Obviously more than I need, but I wanted to make sure I had enough to do the job.  All of it together is fairly unwieldy, so I wondered if anyone has used this material to make an observing hood that would be more manageable, but still do a good job keeping the stray light out?  I've looked around online, but I'm not seeing anything specific to this use.  If anyone has just a pattern even, I'm sure I could find someone to sew it, as I'm not that domestic.  Maybe other ideas? 

Thanks!

-b

#2 havasman

havasman

Hubble

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:04 PM

I'm not familiar with that material but here's a link to a fine observing hood that may give you an idea of what they are. Note that they protrude further toward and over the front of the wearer's face. That is essential to light blocking when looking through the eyepiece.  https://r-sky.org/en.../observing-hood

R-Sky is located in Ukraine. Last word I heard was that they are OK but there's no reliable system for payments and collections in place so the business is inactive now.

Dark Skies Apparel was another maker but they shut down several years ago. I have their vest and their hood. They're excellent and were the model for the R-Sky model. Here's an article that includes a picture of one being worn and it demonstrates the value of the hood's length.  http://www.fjastrono...observing-vest/

• bphaneuf likes this

#3 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxhaw NC [34° 55' 28" N / 80° 44' 36" W]

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:19 PM

I'm not familiar with that material but here's a link to a fine observing hood that may give you an idea of what they are. Note that they protrude further toward and over the front of the wearer's face. That is essential to light blocking when looking through the eyepiece.  https://r-sky.org/en.../observing-hood

R-Sky is located in Ukraine. Last word I heard was that they are OK but there's no reliable system for payments and collections in place so the business is inactive now.

Dark Skies Apparel was another maker but they shut down several years ago. I have their vest and their hood. They're excellent and were the model for the R-Sky model. Here's an article that includes a picture of one being worn and it demonstrates the value of the hood's length.  http://www.fjastrono...observing-vest/

Thanks!  I've bookmarked the R-Sky item.  Looks like they picked up the Dark Skies Apparel product and made some improvements.  But I had wondered how conditions over there were effecting things.    Not surprised that they're inactive for now.  The vest looks terrific, but concerned about it being hot for this part of the country (humid NC Piedmont) during our warmer months.  Mid to late October through early April may be fine.  But I already have the material and just wondered if there was a way to make it more usable. 

• havasman likes this

#4 havasman

havasman

Hubble

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:28 PM

Heat's a problem. DSA made 2 models, one with a mesh back instead of the ~heavy material and that's what I got. The vest pockets are so handy it has to be really hot before I'll use only the hood.

• bphaneuf likes this

#5 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 24 September 2022 - 03:08 AM

You could line the hood of an existing coat, with the material protruding a few inches forward to help with light blocking. It helps if the material has some “strength” so it doesn’t flop about. Didn’t know about duvetyne, probably need to get some for shielding applications.

Peter
  • bphaneuf likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, DIY

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics