•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anti-fog solution

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 crn3371

crn3371

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:30 PM

With my Canon 15x50 binoculars I’ve found that the best viewing setup for me is eyecups rolled down paired with a Bino Bandit. The downside of this combination is a propensity for the eyepieces to fog up. Is there a solution or moistened wipe that is preferred by users here in the forum, or just pick one of the many available options on Amazon?
  • Astronoob76 likes this

#2 jdavis74

jdavis74

Sputnik

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:08 PM

I've suffered the same problem, using a bino bandit.  Rich V suggested to me an air bulb blaster, and I've used that idea with some success.  If you have 120v power handy any hairdryer (set on the lowest setting) makes quick work of it.  I've also looked into ~$25 12v "hair dryers" from Amazon.  The reviews are horrendous, and I imagine they would be if that was your intended use, but I think they might work okay for clearing the fog (not frost) off of optics.

#3 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Vanguard

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:19 PM

That's one of the features of the Celestron 15X70 Skymaster Pro binoculars which was worth paying the extra for the "Pro" vesrion. These are nitrogen purged and with the eyecups not being too long, I find that they do not fog up.

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#4 crn3371

crn3371

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:37 PM

Nitrogen purged, waterproof, isn’t going to have any bearing on the external surfaces fogging up.

#5 gwd

gwd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PyeongTaek ROK

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:05 PM

It reads like your problem is with the ocular fogging up, not the objective.  I do two things when this is a problem. 

If it isn't cold enough to require gloves I'll hold the eyepieces in my hands to warm them a bit when I rest my arms.

Another thing I do is put the binoculars inside my jacket for a few minutes to warm them.  I'm fortunate enough to have several binocular sets so on very severe fogging nights I switch instruments with the unused instrument inside my jacket.   It seems that the air between our eyes and the ocular lens can become so humid it raises the dew point above the temperature of the ocular lens.  The inside the jacket trick also works when the objective lens fogs up.  It works better if you put the binoculars in there before or at the very first sign of fogging.  When I go out with only one instrument, I just use the warming time to do naked eye observing looking for meteors or upgrade my constellation knowledge or whatever. 

I know that equipment buffs add value to the hobby by telling us about tricks with gizmos and gimcracks but what I like about  binocular observing is its equipment light approach.   I've considered putting a hand warmer in a beer cooler to keep the binoculars above the dew point but haven't tried it yet.   I think of this when I feel the cold air enter my loosened jacket as I do my trick but never think of it as I'm heading out.   

• Mark Y. likes this

#6 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Vanguard

Posted 23 September 2022 - 08:11 PM

Dear CRN3371, I was not referring to dew forming on the outside surface of the binoculars. I believe the original thread was about the optics "foging up", not the formation of dew. 

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#7 crn3371

crn3371

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:33 PM

Just to clarify, I’m referring to the eyepiece lenses fogging up, exacerbated by the Bino Bandit holding in heat and blocking air circulation. Folding down the Bino Bandit eliminates most of it, but at the expense of viewing comfort. I was really just wondering if anyone has had experience with the aftermarket spray solutions, or moistened wipes meant to prevent lens fogging. Are there ones to recommend, or ones to be avoided.

Edited by crn3371, 23 September 2022 - 11:34 PM.

#8 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 24 September 2022 - 02:55 AM

I am trying the zeiss antifog liquid that sprays on and leaves a film behind. Going to be damp tonight so will see how it performs. I did think about making a small fan blower that could remove the warm moist air by the eyepieces, but having cold air blown in your eyeballs gets boring fast!
Another thing to be careful about is that your breath rises up into your eyecups, so blowing out or otherwise deflecting your breath sideways can reduce the problem. I made a face visor for my binoculars that fitting above my nose so my breath is fully blocked.

Peter
  • Jon Isaacs and j.gardavsky like this

#9 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 24 September 2022 - 08:10 PM

Try Zeiss Anti Fog Wipes. It works great for me:

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,925&sr=8-6.

#10 scrufy

scrufy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:20 PM

Does the film from the wipes affect the optics at all?

Also would the lenses need a wet cleaning to get off residue later?

Never thought about using them until this thread.

#11 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:39 AM

I asked Baader about use on their filters and they weren’t concerned. I’d apply as necessary and clean as necessary. Always worth making sure all optic wiping is done with clean and soft materials to avoid the risk of scratching.

Peter
  • j.gardavsky likes this

#12 crn3371

crn3371

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2022 - 02:29 PM

Try Zeiss Anti Fog Wipes. It works great for me:

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,925&sr=8-6.

I don’t see where the linked wipes are anti-fog. Am I missing something?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics