•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO AM5 Owners' Club

• Please log in to reply
1955 replies to this topic

#1951 DavesView

DavesView

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pensacola, FL USA

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 AM

The EQ6 mount comes with a counterweight extension rod that is the exact specification for the AM5 (length and diameter). Just an FYI.

• cengell and TheWhistler like this

#1952 Celerondon

Celerondon

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted Yesterday, 04:56 PM

I'm finally going to place an order for the AM5 today. The only thing I can't tell for sure is if I need to include the counterweight bar or not? I'm currently using an Apertura 75Q which is very light. Is there any disadvantage to not getting the counterweight bar for a smaller refractor?

I agree with Nemo51 and cengell but I still bought the counterweight bar. 

My counterweight bar remains in its proper location in the traveling case ready for action.  This way, whether I have a whim to improve my mount's performance or a need because of a heavier (future) telescope, the counterweight bar will be ready.  After all, they aren't that expensive, and I don't want to bother with adapting something else to fit the aluminum housing on my $2K mount.  Counterweights of the proper size fit the GP, CG-5, CG-4 and plenty of common mounts.  I have several in my kit and could probably borrow or buy one on short notice.  But the counterweight bar for the AM5 is somewhat different than a typical GP/CG-5 counterweight bar. 

For your usage case there is no downside to skipping the bar other than the fact that you will not have one available.  Does this matter to you?

Don

AM5 Counterweight Bar Threaded End

Counterweight Bar Thread Dimensions

• cengell and TheWhistler like this

#1953 Dom_P

Dom_P

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I’m looking at this mount and have a question about the pier extender. 

At what total length of scope, camera etc would you say the pier is required so as to avoid hitting the tripod when using the ZWO tripod?

#1954 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado City Colorado

Posted Today, 09:19 AM

Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I’m looking at this mount and have a question about the pier extender. 

At what total length of scope, camera etc would you say the pier is required so as to avoid hitting the tripod when using the ZWO tripod?

I would recommend getting one, I have one on each of mine and also I use the iOptron Tri-Pier and it is needed to mount the AM5/3 as well for most other Piers and Tripods.
I was even thinking about using two on one of my rigs with OAG and Filter Wheel. With the ZWO Tripod even with a small telescope it will make your life easier.

https://agenaastro.c...ount-pe200.html I went with this one, 200mm

https://agenaastro.c...ount-pe160.html 160mm

Edited by NoDarkSkies, Today, 09:32 AM.

• cengell likes this

#1955 Kroy

Kroy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 10:37 AM

Good morning everyone

I own the AM5, C11 tube and a very good tripod to support this tube. I would like to do just VISUAL without needing anything more than the tube, prism and eyepieces.

The tests carried out so far are not good at all so I thought that perhaps some "forumer" could help me with their experiences. I repeat, only visual without ASIAIR or cameras or guide tubes.

Thank you
Salu2s

#1956 cengell

cengell

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted Today, 10:56 AM

Good morning everyone

I own the AM5, C11 tube and a very good tripod to support this tube. I would like to do just VISUAL without needing anything more than the tube, prism and eyepieces.

The tests carried out so far are not good at all so I thought that perhaps some "forumer" could help me with their experiences. I repeat, only visual without ASIAIR or cameras or guide tubes.

Thank you
Salu2s

Hi Kroy, you say your tests are not good? Please tell us what you mean, so we can better help. So that C11 on a AM5 is possible and for visual. But my concern is the AM5 support, that is of tipping over. You can make a low cost counterweight shaft and add 1 1o-11KG weights. But if you feel that your tripod won't or can't tip over as the AM5 does not need counterweights for visual or imaging.

Also adding sandbags or some kind of weight so no chance of the C11 tipping (is my main concern) over as that could destroy the C11?

So please post back what tests that were not good, like the AM5 slipping or making noise?

Christopher 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics