•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Free To A Good Home -The Giveaway Thread

• Please log in to reply
1691 replies to this topic

#1651 apfever

apfever

Cosmos

Posted 25 January 2024 - 12:31 PM

SPOKEN FOR!

USA ONLY

Original 1961 tri fold SWIFT brochure, just fits in a regular business size envelope.

YOU must have a SWIFT you are keeping, show some pictures, preferably a CN link to some entry(s). ONLY a picture(s) here or link and "pm sent".  Your post helps verification because the folks here know everything about everybody! Do Not engage in any other transaction information, questions, or comments here, do that in pm or it's no go for you. 

Most likely this will go to a regular here, you guys are quick.

It is better shape than the flash pictures show on the faces. The creases are delicate but still intact as a solid complete brochure. Nice item.

This would be $1 for stamp and envelope only if you come up with a worthwhile venue to bother. 

GONE

To who ever got this brochure . . . is it possible for you to make a copy of it?  I would love to have a copy.  B/W would be fine.

It just went out for delivery today. Otherwise I would have done that. We will probably hear from the receiver in this forum as he has a substantial Swift string here already.  It has been taking USPS about 10 days to deliver a regular envelope the distance involved.

• Garyth64 and Lemmon714 like this

#1652 semlin

semlin

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 January 2024 - 12:33 PM

if anyone want a copy of that swift brochure (or one that looks identical) send me a pm.  i have one.

message sent to gary

• Bomber Bob, cookjaiii, DouglasPaul and 1 other like this

#1653 Garyth64

Garyth64

Cosmos

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 25 January 2024 - 01:22 PM

if anyone want a copy of that swift brochure (or one that looks identical) send me a pm.  i have one.

message sent to gary

And thank you for sending one to me.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#1654 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 January 2024 - 03:41 PM

Swift Brochures online

Take your pick

https://yumarin7.sak...okan/Swift1.pdf

https://wiki.telesco..._1961_Flyer.pdf

• photiost, DreamWeaver, semlin and 3 others like this

#1655 zakry3323

zakry3323

Soyuz

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 26 January 2024 - 12:03 PM

Hey folks,

Last year, due in great part to the kindness and generosity of some of the classics folks around here, I was able to acquire a darned near complete Mizar Kaiser 80/1200- thus putting the restoration project that I had going on for another Kaiser on hold. This hold has become indefinite, and it's now taking up space that I need for other projects. Therefore, I'd like to talk about it here before potentially posting it in the Classifieds. I would like to offer it up free of charge, local pickup. If you're dying to own one of these (I don't blame you) and want to pay to have it packed/shipped, that would be up to you. I'm located somewhere between Johnstown and Ligonier in Western/Central PA.

What's included is the OTA and Finder. They were brought into the US together, parted out, and I brought them back together again. One of the previous owners brush-painted the OTAs before parting them out and they are cosmetically quite ugly. Some of the green felt from the finder is stuck to the OTA as well. The captain's wheel focuser was non-functional. I cut a new brass fastener for the internal channel and now it works nicely. The grub screws that hold the retaining ring around the drawtube are a little loose- I didn't want to tighten them too much for fear of stripping them out. I find the tension I want by hand and just adjust it manually as I rotate the focuser. I've attached a Baader T2 prism diagonal to the drawtube with an adapter and have actually been using this scope fairly regularly with a turret and 1.25" eyepieces - it's a lot of fun to use and it's optically quite nice, as is the finder. I can't seem to find the 36.4mm drawtube adapter that is seen in the photo, but they are cheap and ubiquitous. The cap for the objective is a plastic coffee lid that fits surprisingly well. It either needs a lot of work and searching around to restore, or would likely serve better refinished as a Neo-Classic. They're pretty rare in the US, but they're not Zeiss' after all - have at it smile.gif

I'll respond to PM's here on a first come first served basis, and can supply addition photos when I get home from work today. Thanks for being such a great group. I'm delighted to have the opportunity to pay this one forward to someone who has the time and desire to make this unique scope beautiful once again. Priority will be given to someone who can pick up locally.

20221103_191517.jpg

• deSitter, The_Vagabond, ericb760 and 16 others like this

#1656 Cavs56

Cavs56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2024 - 03:53 PM

There was one recently on Zen. I wanted it but chickened out. If I was in Ohio I would love to have it, but I’m in Florida for the winter. A very generous offer.
  • zakry3323 likes this

#1657 reverse_syzygy

reverse_syzygy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 26 January 2024 - 11:29 PM

Pittsburgh here, but I've too many half-finished projects myself, and low on space I need to clear out, not add more. 

what an offer!

• Toups and zakry3323 like this

#1658 zakry3323

zakry3323

Soyuz

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 30 January 2024 - 07:21 PM

The Kaiser is off to its new home! Thanks folks!

• deSitter, Bomber Bob, DouglasPaul and 2 others like this

#1659 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Apollo

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 31 January 2024 - 11:27 AM

The Kaiser is off to its new home! Thanks folks!

Der Kaiser?

• zakry3323 likes this

#1660 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 07 February 2024 - 07:36 PM

The C80 tube + dewshield in post #1637 have been claimed and are on their way east via UPS.

Meanwhile the two 36.4mm female threaded adapters with 0.965" O.D. nosepieces in post #1636 are both still available.  If anyone could use one, at this point I'd be willing to send one to you at no cost (postage paid).  https://www.cloudyni...ead/?p=13158097   ... send me a PM if interested.

Clear Skies,

-- Jim

• mdowns, Bomber Bob and maknswarf like this

#1661 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 11 February 2024 - 01:06 PM

Various manuals and catalogs, all vintage, Sears, Lafayette, Tasco, Optical b/c,Orion. If you can use they are yours for the postage. ITS ALL BEEN CLAIMED.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20240211_105022.jpg
  • 20240211_105243.jpg

Edited by brian dewelles, 11 February 2024 - 03:25 PM.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#1662 kit.kenneth

kit.kenneth

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:30 PM

I found another tripod spreader/plate that might have been from a Vixen polaris head and tripod set that I no longer own.  If anyone could use it, just pay for shipping and it's yours.  Thank you!

IMG_1938.jpg

• mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#1663 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:06 PM

I have a 1969? Sears model 6344 German Equatorial Mount made by SYW. The integrated clamshell fits any 3” o.d. tube, including earlier Sears and Scope RAO 3” refractors. It will also fit the classic TeleVue Pronto and Ranger with 3” diameter tubes. Comes with the flexible slow motion cables and counterweight as well as a metal Vixen walled triangular accessory tray (no holes) and mounting hardware. It also comes with the original black and brushed aluminum sliding legs (not the wooden legs in the picture). Motions are smooth, locks are rock steady.

LOCAL PICKUP ONLY (Louisville, Ky). I also might be able to make arrangements for you to pick it up in Cincinnati.

NO SHIPPING, PLEASE DON’T ASK.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9104.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 16 February 2024 - 01:06 PM.

• astro140, brian dewelles, mdowns and 15 others like this

#1664 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 February 2024 - 11:11 AM

For non-locals that want the mount (above), (or the mount, tripod, and tray) but need it shipped. I will give you the phone number of my local UPS store, and you can negotiate packing and shipping with them. I’ll drop it off at the store and you and they can take care of the rest.

• mattyfatz, Marc-Andre, CharLakeAstro and 3 others like this

#1665 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 18 February 2024 - 12:20 PM

For non-locals that want the mount (above), (or the mount, tripod, and tray) but need it shipped. I will give you the phone number of my local UPS store, and you can negotiate packing and shipping with them. I’ll drop it off at the store and you and they can take care of the rest.

Just a quick Public Service Announcement..,

a few weeks ago I set up delivery to my house from Massachusetts with UPS over the internet. It’s free to set up the account. It was extremely easy. I emailed the packing slip to Bean and he dropped it off at the UPS store. Bean was gracious enough to pack it up for me but UPS also has that service.

• Terra Nova, jragsdale and ErnH2O like this

#1666 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 18 February 2024 - 12:26 PM

a few weeks ago I set up delivery to my house from Massachusetts with UPS over the internet. It’s free to set up the account. It was extremely easy. I emailed the packing slip to Bean and he dropped it off at the UPS store. Bean was gracious enough to pack it up for me but UPS also has that service.

Thanks for that info. Since my move and the completion of my downsizing, I no longer have the materials to pack large items.

#1667 jragsdale

jragsdale

Gemini

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 18 February 2024 - 12:33 PM

That's a PSA worth repeating. I do the same thing with ShipStation/PayPal; just change the sender address to them and receiving address to me. Generate shipping label and print using the "Save as PDF" print option, then email to the seller to print, stick on and drop off. Easily 50-75% cheaper than the in person UPS Store prices. Of course the seller needs to be open to packing the item for shipment in that case.

#1668 BenRuss

BenRuss

Explorer 1

• Loc: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 February 2024 - 06:07 PM

FREE! Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

5’ long, 15” ID, 15 5/8” OD Meade telescope tube. Looks like fibreglass to me but I could be wrong. It’s blue on the outside but scratches indicate a possible repaint as the under layer is white. Pickup is preferable but we can talk. Message for pictures.

Edited by BenRuss, 18 February 2024 - 06:08 PM.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, CharLakeAstro and 1 other like this

#1669 norvegicus

norvegicus

Soyuz

• Loc: en route

Posted 19 February 2024 - 08:47 AM

That's a PSA worth repeating. I do the same thing with ShipStation/PayPal; just change the sender address to them and receiving address to me. Generate shipping label and print using the "Save as PDF" print option, then email to the seller to print, stick on and drop off. Easily 50-75% cheaper than the in person UPS Store prices. Of course the seller needs to be open to packing the item for shipment in that case.

I do the same, sometimes using the USPS option so the seller can just put out the package for their mail carrier to pickup.

• jragsdale likes this

#1670 bwjones1

bwjones1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 February 2024 - 12:00 PM

Free for just the cost of shipping is one of these two Vixen thin-wall aluminum adapters having nose O.D. of 0.965" on the forward side and female 36.4mm threads on the aft end:

attachicon.gif IMG_3213b.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_3214b.jpg

The flat black paint on the aft-facing surface is marred on one of them, so I'll send that one to the second person who responds (unless the first person says that it doesn't matter to them).

These were originally intended to allow mounting certain Vixen 36.4mm thread-on eyepieces into 0.965" I.D. drawtube visual backs, but they may have other applications too (e.g., attaching a Vixen 36.4mm male thread to 1.25" I.D. visual back to the aft female threads to create a 0.965" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter, or ??).

Please reply to me via PM rather than replying here.  I'll edit this post (or create a follow-up reply) when both adapters are spoken for.

Clear skies,

-- Jim

Hi Jim, if they are still available feel free to PM me

Brannon

• jkmccarthy likes this

#1671 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 20 February 2024 - 08:53 AM

Free brand new, never used Vixen clamping saddle. (Aluminum, steel bolt, pvc knob)

USPS GROUND CONUS ONLY.

Please don't respond in this thread, PM me.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1624.jpeg

• mdowns, Bomber Bob, sunrag and 1 other like this

#1672 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:38 AM

The Vixen saddle is spoken for. Thanks for your interest. ;)

• Bomber Bob and B 26354 like this

#1673 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:44 AM

I have a 1969? Sears model 6344 German Equatorial Mount made by SYW. The integrated clamshell fits any 3” o.d. tube, including earlier Sears and Scope RAO 3” refractors. It will also fit the classic TeleVue Pronto and Ranger with 3” diameter tubes. Comes with the flexible slow motion cables and counterweight as well as a metal Vixen walled triangular accessory tray (no holes) and mounting hardware. It also comes with the original black and brushed aluminum sliding legs (not the wooden legs in the picture). Motions are smooth, locks are rock steady.

LOCAL PICKUP ONLY (Louisville, Ky). I also might be able to make arrangements for you to pick it up in Cincinnati.

NO SHIPPING, PLEASE DON’T ASK.

If someone just wants the mount without the legs and tray, and needs it shipped, it would probably fit in a USPS large, flat rate shipping box for ~$25 to anywhere in the US.

• mdowns, Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#1674 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:59 AM

The mount, sans legs & tray is spoken for. The legs and tray are NO longer available in the free zone. Watch the CN adds for the tray.

• mdowns likes this

#1675 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:48 PM

If someone just wants the mount without the legs and tray, and needs it shipped, it would probably fit in a USPS large, flat rate shipping box for ~$25 to anywhere in the US.

Well darn, I just had a chance to see if the mount alone would fit in a large flat-rate box. It won’t at all. It’s too big and the counter weight bar is much too long. It doesn’t come off of the bottom of the dec housing like the Polaris family of Vixen GEMs. It goes all the way thru like a pillow-block mount. And even with everything rotated down to minimum space configuration, the whole mount is too big and too thick/deep. I really don’t have the stuff anymore to ship anything this big, and it would cost a fortune to ship as it’s quite heavy. So for now anyway, the offer is off the table. Yes, I know, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions!”

Edited by Terra Nova, 27 February 2024 - 12:48 PM.

• Garyth64 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics