•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New C8 Evolution acquisition: upgrades and Triplet feasibility

Cassegrain Celestron Equipment Eyepieces Filters Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sr2019

Sr2019

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:42 PM

Greetings CN, I recently ended up selling my C8 OTA (on manual EQ mount) and picked up a lightly used C8 + Evolution mount (thanks CN for recommending this path instead of trying to buy a mount on its own). 

Scope came with - Apertura 9-27mm Eyepiece, Optolong UHC and variable polarizing filters and 1.25" diagonal

I had a few questions about upgrades and included accessories for urban viewing: 

1. What situations are the Polarizing and UHC filters idea for? (i'm in texas suburbs with lots of light pollution)

2. Whats a good compliment to the Apertura Eyepiece on the 1.25" diagonal?

3. I'm debating getting a 2" diagonal - looking for the most cost effective suggestion for this and couple of eyepieces

4. Will the 2" diagonal be a worthy upgrade or will it not matter much for visual?

5. Is a field flatenner of any use for visual? 

Questions about Piggy back and AP potential:

1. Is investing in a 80mm Triplet worth it for basic AP/portable run and gun type combo on the Evo mount? (thinking of AT80EDT or ES80ED)

2. This is one of the reasons for the 2" eyepieces because I can swap between the SCT and ED triplet

I understand that deep sky AP is not recommended on the EVO mount, but the way I see it I want to test the waters first into how invested I'd be and I was thinking the C8 + small 80mm Refractor would be a good combo to sort of serve both purposes without spending more on mounts upfront. I also don't have a dedicated AP camera or anything, my plan was to use my A7Riii with a T-adapter. Open to suggestions though

Thanks and looking forward to a good discussion. 

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° N Utah

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:40 PM

Two comments: First, a 2" diagonal will really help your low magnification viewing, but do nothing to help high magnification. 2" eps are heavier and cost more money. I would stick with what you have for a minute and see how it goes. I have an 8" EdgeHD, and I love my 2" Baader Clicklock, but if you aren't a regular visual observer, the money might be better spent elsewhere. 

Second, AP is not an easy thing to do. Generally, the equipment has little to do with visual observation rigs. However,  there are a number of us here on CN that use a camera on our Evo 8s doing EAA. EAA is really visual observation but with a more sensitive sensor than the eye. There is a separate forum for EAA and it is much easier and cheaper than traditional AP.

Welcome, and congratulations on an excellent choice in instruments! 

#3 Sr2019

Sr2019

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:51 PM

Two comments: First, a 2" diagonal will really help your low magnification viewing, but do nothing to help high magnification. 2" eps are heavier and cost more money. I would stick with what you have for a minute and see how it goes. I have an 8" EdgeHD, and I love my 2" Baader Clicklock, but if you aren't a regular visual observer, the money might be better spent elsewhere. 

Second, AP is not an easy thing to do. Generally, the equipment has little to do with visual observation rigs. However,  there are a number of us here on CN that use a camera on our Evo 8s doing EAA. EAA is really visual observation but with a more sensitive sensor than the eye. There is a separate forum for EAA and it is much easier and cheaper than traditional AP.

Welcome, and congratulations on an excellent choice in instruments! 

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into EAA for sure.

Can you advise on the other queries I had please? Also will it be better to start with a focal reducer (0.63) rather than getting 2" Eyepieces for visual? Only reason for getting 2" eyepieces was so that I can use them on a triplet/doublet if I get one down the line.

#4 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Gemini

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 27 September 2022 - 03:51 PM

A very experienced AP member recommends reading "The Deep-Sky Imaging Primer" before making any equipment decisions/purchases. A small high quality refractor on a very solid GEM is the general recommendation. For visual, I find that having a small selection to choose from is the way to go. No one scope will do it all IMO. It's a mistake to go down that road. The AT80ED is great for low powered scanning of large DSO's. If you are positive that AP is in your future, then the triplet version will clean up the last bit of CA but at a cost,...weight. It's been said many times on this forum that the cost of AP equipment is considerable. It starts at more than $2k and $10k is not unusual. The learning curve is also very steep. Think college level Physics graduate.sml.gif

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,249&sr=8-1.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cassegrain, Celestron, Equipment, Eyepieces, Filters, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics