•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The BEST time to capture Jupiter is...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Paradoxdb3

Paradoxdb3

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:56 PM

Whenever you can see Jupiter in the sky. Seriously can't stand the sensationalism around Jupiter's opposition.

IT WON'T BE THIS CLOSE FOR ANOTHER 107 YEARS!!! SEE IT MONDAY NIGHT! YOU CAN SEE IT WITH THE NAKED EYE! WITH A GOOD PAIR OF BINOCULARS, YOU CAN EVEN SEE FOUR OF ITS MOONS! NOT ONLY WILL IS BE CLOSER TO EARTH, IT'LL ALSO BE IN OPPOSITION!

Get them while they're HOT folks! You will NEVER see Jupiter the same AGAIN! lol. Is it just me, or does all the sensationalism drive you nuts, too?

Anyway, the one cool thing about opposition is that if there's a moon transit, you might be able to capture the Moon partially eclipsing it's own shadow. I won't, but maybe you will! 😁
  • c2m2t and CBM1970 like this

#2 mborland

mborland

Messenger

• Loc: Tucson

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:06 PM

I missed the exact moment of opposition, so I'm selling my telescope.

--Michael

• dcaponeii and DouglasPaul like this

#3 D_talley

D_talley

Aurora

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:06 PM

At least they are not saying that it will be as big as the Moon like they use to.

• dcaponeii likes this

#4 Paradoxdb3

Paradoxdb3

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:07 PM

I missed the exact moment of opposition, so I'm selling my telescope.

--Michael

I won't live for another 107 years, so I'm doomed as well. Lol
  • mborland likes this

#5 Paradoxdb3

Paradoxdb3

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:08 PM

At least they are not saying that it will be as big as the Moon like they use to.

Oh my... Were they saying that? Please, I want off this ship! πŸ˜‚

#6 marvyyk

marvyyk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:09 PM

I don't bother with astronomical event anymore anyway... It's always cloudy here when something "interesting" is announced :)

#7 mborland

mborland

Messenger

• Loc: Tucson

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:13 PM

I won't live for another 107 years, so I'm doomed as well. Lol

Maybe I'll have my head frozen and put my telescope in long-term storage, with orders to revive me (and attach my head to a robot) in 107 years. Probably be cloudy though.

--Michael

#8 jlinsobe

jlinsobe

Viking 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:47 PM

I would love to observe it tonight, tomorrow or Wednesday, but have another important commitment already.

Yeah, like a Hurricane Watch in the area ! 

• CeeKay and dcaponeii like this

#9 Zombeaver

Zombeaver

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 26 September 2022 - 11:24 PM

I am just learning to capture images from the Houston area. This evening I was doing my first video captures of Saturn and then Jupiter. Your hurricane appears to be rippling my atmosphere and playing havoc with my attempts to capture decent video on my Astro-tech 72. I don’t suppose you want to rein in your hurricane? Thank you.

#10 schu

schu

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 26 September 2022 - 11:29 PM

I did notice there seemed to be a ton of articles about it this year.  Yeah, it really doesn't matter all that much.  At least for Saturn opposition you get the opposition surge on the rings... no such effect with Jupiter I don't think.

#11 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:57 AM

That was Mars. Even more impressive, given its tiny size!

#12 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 27 September 2022 - 10:01 AM

What I truly cannot fathom is why so many people start attempting to planetary image NOW, as Saturn is a bit past opposition and Jupiter has just passed it. They've both been visible for many months already this year - that would have been the appropriate time to start assembling equipment, practicing, honing skills, etc.  And Mars has been visible, too.  I suspect a lot of people are going to get frustrated when they fail to produce nice images of Jupiter and then think "Oh, Mars is coming to opposition in December!", only to get further frustrated by the relatively small size of Mars, features likely at least partly obliterated by dust and dancing around in the northern winter skies.

Ok, I'll put my soapbox away now for another day :(

Grant

• dcaponeii likes this

#13 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 27 September 2022 - 11:50 AM

What I truly cannot fathom is why so many people start attempting to planetary image NOW, as Saturn is a bit past opposition and Jupiter has just passed it. They've both been visible for many months already this year - that would have been the appropriate time to start assembling equipment, practicing, honing skills, etc.  And Mars has been visible, too.  I suspect a lot of people are going to get frustrated when they fail to produce nice images of Jupiter and then think "Oh, Mars is coming to opposition in December!", only to get further frustrated by the relatively small size of Mars, features likely at least partly obliterated by dust and dancing around in the northern winter skies.

Ok, I'll put my soapbox away now for another day frown.gif

Grant

I'm really glad that you've started typing the stuff that I'm often thinking.  I got some messages from folks that thought I was being rude so I've trying to tone down my comments.  Some days it feels like it will cause and aneurism and for sure the bloody rags that pile up around my computer from biting my tongue can be a hazard to clean up.  Thanks to the OP for recognizing the challenges of a media that likes to disappoint the public by CONSTANTLY  exaggerating the events that occur, be they comets, or planetary alignments, oppositions, etc. 

• RedLionNJ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics