•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAir Live Stacking Fails

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:34 AM

I seem to have an issue with live stacking with my ASIAir Pro.  At one time everything worked as expected.  Now in the middle of a stacking run it will take an image then take another image with out updating the number of stacked images OR adding one to the ignored count.  Last time out five images in succession were for lack of a better term overlooked.  I do have calibration frames turned on.  I think I've noticed that when this happens switching between live stacking and preview causes my connection to drop and the ASIAir then does a reconnect.

Everything else works fine.  My temporary solution is to do autoruns and they are flawless.  .

Has anybody else seen this behavior or have suggestions to correct it?

Thanks

#2 norvegicus

norvegicus

Surveyor 1

• Loc: en route

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:00 AM

Two sources of this problem that I have experienced:

- Too narrow field of view, which also causes problems with plate solving.  I switched from an ASI482MC on my C9.25 to an ASI533MC and it solved both problems.

- Power:  The ASIAir is super picky about power; you need a steady 12V and at least 3A.  I switched power supplies from a LiPO4 battery, which have a variable voltage of 9-12V, to a 120VAC to 12V power supply with a 10A rating and it solved the problem.  Also I was powering a WiFi extender from one of the USB ports on the ASIAir, and switching that to another power supply helped as well.

With your dropped connections I suspect that power is your problem.

• davidparks likes this

#3 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:11 AM

Two sources of this problem that I have experienced:

- Too narrow field of view, which also causes problems with plate solving.  I switched from an ASI482MC on my C9.25 to an ASI533MC and it solved both problems.

- Power:  The ASIAir is super picky about power; you need a steady 12V and at least 3A.  I switched power supplies from a LiPO4 battery, which have a variable voltage of 9-12V, to a 120VAC to 12V power supply with a 10A rating and it solved the problem.  Also I was powering a WiFi extender from one of the USB ports on the ASIAir, and switching that to another power supply helped as well.

With your dropped connections I suspect that power is your problem.

I'm pretty sure FOV isn't a problem.  I was using a short tube 80 (400mm FL) with an ASI385mc. The FOV is about 60x35 arcminutes.   Also if it had been a plate solve error it would would have shown up in the frame ignored count. 

If a power issue I would have seen dropped connections during the following 5 hours it ran flawlessly in Autorun but no drops there.  Only when clicking to Preview from Live Stacking did I see the issue.

• jd999uk likes this

#4 norvegicus

norvegicus

Surveyor 1

• Loc: en route

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:52 AM

I'm pretty sure FOV isn't a problem.  I was using a short tube 80 (400mm FL) with an ASI385mc. The FOV is about 60x35 arcminutes.   Also if it had been a plate solve error it would would have shown up in the frame ignored count. 

If a power issue I would have seen dropped connections during the following 5 hours it ran flawlessly in Autorun but no drops there.  Only when clicking to Preview from Live Stacking did I see the issue.

All I can say is that changing the power source during the same session solved the problem for me.  I experienced exactly the same behavior as you described.

#5 reformedalpineskier

reformedalpineskier

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Yakima, WA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:59 PM

I have experienced exactly what the OP describes (I call them slowdowns) for the past month or so. I use an ASIAir Plus with an iPad.

In August, the ASIAir app was updated by ZWO and Apple updated my iPad's OS to 15.7. I posted about these slowdowns in a thread on ZWO's forum and I've twice uploaded logs via the ASIAir app for them to examine. By the end of August, I reset my ASIAir Plus firmware, uninstalled the app from my iPad, and then reinstalled the app which then updated the ASIAir firmware once it reconnected. I saw no change in behavior.

When the slowdown happens, I'll produce a 20-minute total duration stack, with 10-second subs, and the result is 5-7 total stacked subs (about 1 every 3-4 minutes) and 0 ignored subs.  My iPad will continue shooting 10-sec subs after the 20-minute total duration and will only stop once that 5th, 6th, or 7th sub is finally downloaded to my iPad and the app indicates the ASIAir is idle. Until the idle status indication appears, the app indicates it's still shooting subs and stacking. 

Two or three times, when I was impatient and tried to stop stacking while it was in a slowdown, I poked around the main and camera menus to see if I could regain control. Not really! While stacking was still happening (even though I'd stopped and exited live stacking), the ASIAir disconnected and then eventually reconnected, as the OP has experienced. 

The past week I've been live stacking up to an hour duration (about 300 10-second subs) WITHOUT calibration frames and have not experienced a single case of this behavior. But every time I've tried using calibration frames the past week has produced the slowdown. Good to know I can use calibration frames shooting the plan mode! 

My take on this is that either the latest version of the app (more likely) or iPadOS 15.7 (less likely) gets the credit. I think the ASIAir Plus is simply choking on the workload. Processing the calibration frames seems to be a relevant factor. My iPad doesn't know about the missing 95 frames in a typical 20-minute stack. I'd accuse my network connection of losing them, but I use CAT-5 ethernet directly to my network with a static IP assigned. Only the iPad is running wireless.

I'm hoping version 2.0 ASIAir will cure the Live Stacking slowdowns or that they'll push out a 1.9.3 update sooner.

Edited by reformedalpineskier, 29 September 2022 - 08:38 PM.

#6 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:08 PM

In a sad way it is good to know that I'm not the only person with this problem.

I first noticed this problem at a star party at the end of June and I'm using a Samsung Android tablet.  Here's hoping for a update that make this go away.

Thanks for posting

#7 reformedalpineskier

reformedalpineskier

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 October 2022 - 09:37 AM

So far, no updates have come from ZWO or Apple since my post about 2 weeks ago. I haven't imaged for the prior 10 days owing to some smoke in the sky and the approach of a full moon. However, last evening I had a short time between dusk and moonrise and decided to shoot M33 for a bit. The only change made to my setup was to change out a L'Enhance filter for a L-Pro filter and refocus.

To my surprise, live stacking worked just fine, stacking 50 subs in 10 minutes (all I had time for before the moon rose) with the same calibration frames that didn't work at all for the final 2 weeks of September. When this live stacking problem started in August, it was intermittent, but devolved to consistent failure. In the coming days I plan to shoot new flats and darks and see if this success endures.

• mjanzou likes this

#8 mjanzou

mjanzou

Ranger 4

• Loc: So. Oregon

Posted 12 October 2022 - 09:45 AM

So far, no updates have come from ZWO or Apple since my post about 2 weeks ago. I haven't imaged for the prior 10 days owing to some smoke in the sky and the approach of a full moon. However, last evening I had a short time between dusk and moonrise and decided to shoot M33 for a bit. The only change made to my setup was to change out a L'Enhance filter for a L-Pro filter and refocus.

To my surprise, live stacking worked just fine, stacking 50 subs in 10 minutes (all I had time for before the moon rose) with the same calibration frames that didn't work at all for the final 2 weeks of September. When this live stacking problem started in August, it was intermittent, but devolved to consistent failure. In the coming days I plan to shoot new flats and darks and see if this success endures.

It appears a REALLY hard system reboot did the trick.......

Hope it holds for you, making flats with the dual band filter (zwo duo in my case, very similar to your l'enhance) took me a few times to get it right, or was it a few hundred....DOH!

#9 reformedalpineskier

reformedalpineskier

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2022 - 11:48 AM

Live Stacking with calibration frames succeeded for another two pre-moonrise sessions. Using new flats, darks, and bias calibration frames on several different targets, for a total duration of about 4 hours, my ASIAir+ reliably and consistently produced 5 stacked 10-sec subs per minute without fail. I saw no stacking slowdown at any point.

I'm very happy to once again have Live Stacking reliably working as it did up until late August. However, if there's anything I like less than an incomprehensible problem, it's an inexplicable solution. For now, I'll take it graciously and without complaint!

• steveincolo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics