•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Imaging Jupiter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieWSlate

CharlieWSlate

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:05 AM

I have been unsuccessful at imaging Jupiter and am looking for any guidance.  Here is my equipment:

Celestron NexStar Evolution

6" Alt Az Mount

FL 1500mm F/10

Celestron Star Sense

Electronic Focuser

Nikon D500 (attached to telescope with a 2x convertor)

When I look at Jupiter through an eyepiece (before attaching the camera) it is very bright and even with the electronic focuser, I cannot seem to get it in clear sharp focus (it's just a bright blob).  When I attach the camera, I use live view, zoom in on the planet and try the focuser again, and not able to get a clear sharp image.  Does the size of my telescope (6") hinder this?

Any thoughts or guidance appreciated.

Thanks;

Charlie Slate

Greenville, SC

#2 slepage

slepage

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:38 AM

Hi Charlie,

The best advise is for you to do your research first, then give it a try, then post some images with some data on how you did it, then ask for help.

Start Here:  https://www.cloudyni...ated-july-2022/

Steve

• RedLionNJ likes this

#3 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:40 AM

I don't think the aperture is related to the issue you describe.  You need to set the camera's exposure down to a much shorter interval. I don't know if the Nikon synthesizes exposure during LiveView (like the Canons do) or if the exposure is a 'real' value. But you want to be in the order of milliseconds (maybe up to 30 or so).  You'll always be at a disadvantage using a DSLR for planetary imaging, as your fps will be limited (you can't set a really small ROI) by the transfer speed to your laptop.

#4 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Gemini

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:42 AM

Planetary imaging, you are using such a high magnification you will not se it clear, like in an eyepiece. More like wavy, lots of water in the air. That is why you rely on what is called ' Lucky Imaging '  a fast frame rate, video, I shot mine at 14 frames a second, and you can go as high as 50  to 80 frames a second.   After capturing in, I used Sharpcap, I stack and processed in Registax 6.  I shot 500 frames last night. 

If you do not have a planetary camera or dedicated astro camera, what I would try to do is focus the best you can, I made a Bahtinov mask, printed a paper from the internet and cut the pattern on EVA foam I got from Hobby Lobby. I glued the foam to a thick piece of cardboard.  Links below.  I focused on the Moons of Jupiter with the mask.  You can also use a bright star.  After focus, shoot a video or a series of fast exposures   You can also try without the Barlow and crop / zoom in digitally.

My image after being stacked was still blurry only after I used the slides on the wavelets in Registax6 did it clear up.

I'll post my picture later, it is on another computer.

Joe

http://www.deepskywa...tinov-mask.html

Just scroll down for the size you need.

https://www.hobbylob...-5mm/p/80982129

5MM is good for masks and dew cap extensions.   If only for a mask and do not need a roll it may be available in sheets.

#5 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Gemini

Posted 27 September 2022 - 10:04 AM

Charlie, here is two images, the blurry one is just stacked in Registax6,  the other one is processed in wavelets in Registax6.    Both were done in same region of interest, resolution. 

CFF 92 F6,  2X Powermate, QHY 462C camera.    Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter 1 9-26.jpg

Attached Files

#6 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Gemini

Posted 27 September 2022 - 10:07 AM

Charlie, I apologize, here is the JPEG.  Joe

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter stacked.jpg
  • Jupiter 1 9-26.jpg

#7 kevinrodgers22

kevinrodgers22

Vostok 1

Posted 18 October 2022 - 03:39 PM

I have been unsuccessful at imaging Jupiter and am looking for any guidance.  Here is my equipment:

Celestron NexStar Evolution

6" Alt Az Mount

FL 1500mm F/10

Celestron Star Sense

Electronic Focuser

Nikon D500 (attached to telescope with a 2x convertor)

When I look at Jupiter through an eyepiece (before attaching the camera) it is very bright and even with the electronic focuser, I cannot seem to get it in clear sharp focus (it's just a bright blob).  When I attach the camera, I use live view, zoom in on the planet and try the focuser again, and not able to get a clear sharp image.  Does the size of my telescope (6") hinder this?

Any thoughts or guidance appreciated.

Thanks;

Charlie Slate

Greenville, SC

I'm new to imaging and am just now getting around to planetary so Im not the best source of useful info but what time are you attempting your Jupiter shots? Its really low in the horizon, and I'm getting the blob effect myself. I would practice on Saturn to see what works and what doesn't for now, it isn't as temperamental to atmosphere conditions. I would try to pick up a dedicated astro cam, even an asi 120 can produce great results using lucky imaging. I'm in the spartanburg area if you ever want to try out my zwo 294 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics