•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starnet in PixInsight. How is it working?

Astrophotography Imaging Software
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 garync

garync

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nevada City, CA

Posted 28 September 2022 - 06:09 PM

I have just tried StarNet for the first time. Seeing that only one weight file was listed (the mono file), and that had a red square by it, I ran an update on PixInsight 1.8.8-9. Several files were listed as possible updates, so I included them all. One of them appeared to be a file containing the weights files I was looking for. The download finished with the information that one file had failed to download and one had succeeded (What happened to the rest?). I ran the installation and reopened StarNet. Now it showed the mono weights file with a green check. There was no rgb weights file, but it was in the PI library folder. That was OK for the time being because I am working on monochrome JWST images of Stephan’s Quintet that have been cropped, aligned, and given a permanent STF stretch. I dropped the little triangle on an image taken by NIRCam with the f444w filter. The three images below show the original, the result, and the mask. To my untrained eye, it appears to have missed a few bright stars and star clusters and a few distant galaxies, but otherwise the result looks pretty good. I’m wondering if more experienced eyes will agree, or if they see this session going down a dead end. I notice that the starmask shows a gauzy ring of stars or clusters from the galaxy NGC7320. The ring shows up in even more pronounced form under StarMask. I’m not sure whether that will become a problem later on. I read somewhere that StarNet no longer requires non-linear data. Do these results support that?

Attached File  StephansQuintet_StarNet.pdf   422.28KB   17 downloads

In my browser, the images are rotated 90 degrees. The original is on the bottom, the starless in the middle, and the mask on top. I wish I could rotate them to horizontal, but the editor doesn't seem to permit a second try with attachments.

Edited by garync, 28 September 2022 - 06:24 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Imaging, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics