•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Maxim DL V5 startup fail

Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Harvey

Glenn Harvey

Vendor - Author: “A Faint Fuzzy Danger” Amazon eBook

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Manassas, VA

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:32 PM

Maxim DL V5 startup fail

Due to Covid and bad weather I have not gotten a good observing night in over two years at my friend's site in Southern MD. Last week we finally got a clear night and I think we got some good pictures to process.

Unfortunately, when I tried to stack the frames with my old copy of Maxim DL Pro V5 it failed. The initial screen comes up but as soon as I try to load a file it launches into an initialization routine that then crashes because it says it cannot find a file 'MaximDLV5.msi'. The folder it is seeking does not exist on my computer. After a moment it issues an error 1706.  I do have the original disk. However, I'm nervous to try to reload the program from disk. I remember the original registration process was fairly complicated and the instructions state that no upgrades are available after one year and no refunds or returns are permitted after a permanent license has been issued.

Does anyone know if I should remove the original program and try to reinstall?  Or reinstall over the old program?  Or after about 12 years should I ante up and buy a new version?  I hate to do that since V5 did everything I need. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Glenn B. Harvey
8 inch Astro Tech RC
TMB 92 mm Apo
Celestron GEM
SBIG 8300 M w/ LRGB & Ha filters
Orion StarShoot autoguider
10 inch Meade DOB
10X70 Orion Binocular
Author:  Faint Fuzzy Series and Alone Series
    SciFi for astronomers on Amazon E-book & PB

#2 EricCCD

EricCCD

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:48 PM

What version do you have? I.e., the latest version I had before I upgraded to 6 was 5.24. You *might* be able to download the latest eligible version of MaximDL 5 (it should download as MaximDL5xx.exe, with the "xx" = the latest version you are eligible for).

HTH,

Eric

#3 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:26 AM

I have both MaximDL 6 and MaximDL 5 installed.  I actually like version 5 better since it is laid out better for what I do (photometry).  You will get a discount on an upgrade to version 6 since you already have version 5 if you want to go that route though.

I have also had to reinstall version 5 a few times over the years and it didn't mess anything up.  Before you do it though, be sure that you have the necessary information needed to re-enter your license.  If you load the program and go to "Help" then, "About MaximDL" and then "About," it will display almost everything that you will need:

1) your name

2) the email address you used when you purchased the program

3) the serial number (this won't be fully displayed)-- more below

4) the date that you first installed the program

You will be asked for all of these things when you reinstall it.

Serial number-- the program will not tell you the full serial number so you will either have to have it written down somewhere or you'll have to run a program on your computer that can find it-- I use a free one called "Belarc Advisor" (https://www.belarc.c.../belarc-advisor) that will find it.

Tom

#4 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

ASCOM Initiative

• -----
  • Organization
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:58 AM

THe .msi is the installer for the program. Normally, when a windows program starts up and immediately says it’s looking for the .msi file, it means that one or more critical files for the program have been deleted. The Windows Installer is now trying to activate the MaxIm installer (the .msi) to repair the damage done by deleting critical app files.

If you still have the MaxIm 5 installer .msi file, when you see it asking for that, point it to the copy you have (it’s just a file-open dialog).

If you no longer have the installer, contact DIffraction to see about getting a fresh copy.
  • psandelle likes this

#5 Glenn Harvey

Glenn Harvey

Vendor - Author: “A Faint Fuzzy Danger” Amazon eBook

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Manassas, VA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:53 PM

Tom:

Thank you VERY much!  Your advice was spot-on perfect. I did have to remove the program before I could reload it. Otherwise you gave me the confidence and information to proceed.

The "Belarc Advisor" is one of the most amazing free tools I've ever used.  I did need the old permanent serial number.  The singular downside was that it prompted me to run around in circles trying to improve my security score. Eventually I figured out that most of the identified issues were intended to address network use in the Enterprise version of Windows 10. 

Thanks again,

Glenn

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics