•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

tell me about Telescopic Newtonians

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:03 PM

anyone here read or hear about these older newts that were around in the 80's or even early 90's?

kb

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:49 AM

Yes, I have one…

Gary

#3 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:22 PM

hey Garry do you know who made them for telescopics? or who was the mirror maker? I know they came as a gold aluminum tube in 6"to 12"

kb

#4 Thomas A Davis

Thomas A Davis

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:20 AM

I owned one back in about 1985.  It was an 8" F/5 with a small secondary (1.52") and a 1 1/4" focuser.  The scopes were advertised as 1/20 wave peak to valley with enhanced aluminum coatings.  Best set of 8" optics I ever saw.  The star test was perfect and color contrast and detail on the planets best I've seen in an 8" Newtonian.  The scopes were not available for that long, but I wish I had kept it.  the rumor mill had it that the scopes were produced at JPL labs by an employee on their high end equipment.  The story went that that employee moonlighted selling scopes that he produced the mirrors for with JPL equipment.  Not sure how accurate the story is, but the one I owned had the smoothest Newtonian optics I've ever seen.  The only issue I had with the stop was that the secondary was hard to keep in alignment.

Tom

'"

#5 Feidb

Feidb

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 04 October 2022 - 12:12 PM

I bought quite a few ATM parts from Telescopics back in high school in the late 60's. Great company. Never had one of their mirrors though.

#6 soupaman

soupaman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Green Bay, WI

Posted 04 October 2022 - 04:01 PM

I would love to see a picture if anyone has one.
Back in 86😂, I had a Coulter Odyssey 1 at 15 years old!
Long story short, somebody had one of these puny 8” dobs that was in some way outperforming my cardboard light bucket. It obviously left an impression on me.

#7 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2022 - 03:28 PM

The pic of my Telescopics Newtonian,,, slightly upgraded from what the scope looked like back in the early '90's..

added feathertouch many moons ago

added telrad

added a larger secondary and I use it for imaging & viewing

But stayed with the same tell-tale sign of the gold anodized thick aluminum tube,,

viewing quality excellent once everything cools down

imaging quality same as viewing,,,

not bad for the 8" f/5 newt..

image of helix was done using canon 60da and pic of helix was taken using my cell phone to shoot the laptop screen,,

5x 200sec. exposure time

kb

Attached Thumbnails

• tst.jpg
  • heentn.jpg

Edited by kbastro, 15 October 2022 - 03:32 PM.

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 15 October 2022 - 05:49 PM

In late 1988 i placed a order for a 12.5" F/7.5 Newt from them. Took over 2 years and had to get SKY&TELE on their butts to get the mirror.  They went out of biss soon after.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics