•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to get into Asteroid Hunting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ku8475

Ku8475

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:55 PM

Good evening all. With the recent DART mission and the realization that NEo Observer isn't going to launch until 2026 I started looking for ways to help do my part for planetary defense. I mostly do deep space photos right now, but really would like to migrate into the scientific realm.

My question is what do I need to actually contribute and what sources are out there on how to start? Most photos and comments I see are of folks with way to much invested. There's got to be ways I can contribute on a budget. Thanks in advance.

#2 ram812

ram812

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2022 - 10:31 PM

I believe, as a volunteer contributor (Free) you could review video footage that needs to be blinked through and look for objects and report RA/DEC coordinates to the powers that be for confirmation. I understand miles of video are available from Catalina Deep Sky survey, Minor Planetary Center and the like survey sites that exist. A lot of contributors are out there world wide that have home observatories that shoot vid., but don't have the time to review it all..though there are computer programs with the ability to. Heck, even that takes bucks anymore😋! Good luck with your hunt...

CS, Ralph

#3 D_talley

D_talley

Aurora

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 28 September 2022 - 11:46 PM

You can also continue to shoot astro shots and then run the images through Tycho Tracker, which will find and identify any asteroids in your photos, even ones that have not been discovered. "Yes honey I am really doing scientific work!"

https://www.tycho-tracker.com/

• PrestonE, Ed Wiley, gregj888 and 2 others like this

#4 Sirius Pun

Sirius Pun

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 November 2022 - 04:29 PM

@ram812, thank you for that note. Sent CSS an email asking how to get started. If unresponsive, will email MPC as well.

@Ku8475, thank you for this thread. You've spelled out my thoughts exactly. I hope you were able to get some data to blink.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics