•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter with GRS, Ganymede and shadow, Sept. 28, 2022

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 12:29 AM

I haven't been doing any imaging recently, as life has been very busy, but figured I had to get at least one image in near opposition for Jupiter (I missed Saturn this  year).  I noticed there would be a GRS transit, along with Ganymede and shadow on the evening of September 27/28, so figured this was as good a time as any.  I took several sets of captures, the two of which below are representative of the better ones.  All with the C9.25 Edge HD and ASI224mc.  The first image was taken about an hour later in the transit, with the GRS well positioned.  The second (earlier captured) image shows some real detail on Ganymede (when the moons are in front of the planet, they tend to suffer less from deconvolution artifacts and thus show more real detail as compared to when the moon is on a black background).

Jupiter_2350426347_TGlenn.jpg

Jupiter_2245586344_TGlenn.jpg

Edited by Tom Glenn, 29 September 2022 - 12:51 AM.

• Sunspot, Flying_Fox, Dennis_Oz and 37 others like this

#2 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:39 AM

Lovely Jupiters Tom and a fascinating setup with Ganymede and its shadow. Yes, I think you are right about detail on the moon with a brighter background than the black of space. The brightness gradient is much less and so are the artifacts the software produces.

Cheers Paul

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:57 AM

Very nice Tom - & you couldn't get much more photogenic than this..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:49 AM

Excellent results and really nice arrangement you've captured in the first image.

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:52 AM

Great shots, Tom.

#6 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:11 AM

Really beautiful, Tom!

#7 Foehammer

Foehammer

Apollo

• Loc: Cyprus

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:51 AM

Lovely shots Tom, well done!

#8 mikef0924

mikef0924

Messenger

• Loc: 87544 NM

Posted 29 September 2022 - 10:25 AM

Very nice result!

#9 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!  I was hoping to have another round of imaging tonight, although clouds rolled in after only a few captures, and the quality of those captures remains to be determined.

#10 Baikalic

Baikalic

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:39 PM

Tom Glenn,

amazing detail on Ganymede - can I ask if you used any special settings to get such a result? I've tried to image Jupiter's moons multiple times in the past few weeks, and my stacks never result in colors specific to moons imaged, I pretty much get white disks. Any advice appreciated

#11 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2022 - 12:18 AM

Tom Glenn,

amazing detail on Ganymede - can I ask if you used any special settings to get such a result? I've tried to image Jupiter's moons multiple times in the past few weeks, and my stacks never result in colors specific to moons imaged, I pretty much get white disks. Any advice appreciated

Thanks for the kind words!  The difficulty is that the amount of sharpening that yields a pleasing result for the planet produces artifacts for the moons.  A good solution is to sharpen two versions of the image, one for the planet, and the other for the moons.  You then overlay the two results and use a layer mask technique to reveal the "softer" moons in the final image.  In this case, I only did this for the image in which Ganymede is on the black background outside the limb.  Sharpening programs do a terrible job with this arrangement.  In fact, most "detail" that is shown in amateur images with this arrangement is subtle artifacts that look very similar to real detail.  For the image with Ganymede in transit on the planetary disk, it was not necessary to process a separate version, and the detail/coloration is mostly real. 

• Lacaille, Kiwi Paul and Baikalic like this

#12 R Botero

R Botero

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 06 October 2022 - 02:45 AM

Lovely shots! Great processing and 3D effect. :waytogo:

Roberto

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics