•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vignetting on Celestron C6 SCT & f6.3 focal reducer field flattener

Astrophotography Catadioptric Celestron DSO Equipment Imaging SCT
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nikulsuthar

nikulsuthar

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 12:59 AM

Hi All,

Many thanks for taking time to read my below question.

Has anyone tried to do DSO long exposure imaging with Celestron C6 SCT and Celestron f6.3 focal reducer field flattener along with a 4/3rd micro chip sensor (e.g. ZWO ASI 294MC/MM or ZWO ASI 1600MM)? If yes then have you experienced any vignetting in your subs? This is because the orange tube body Nexstar 6SE has only 1.25" of visual back (hole diameter at the back of the telescope body). Considering 105mm of back focus distance on Celestron f6.3 focal reducer field flattener this should most probably cause vignetting. Please let me know if you have any such vignetting experience.

Thanks,

Nikul

#2 EGregerson

EGregerson

Vostok 1

• Loc: Newport News, VA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:44 AM

My usual answer is 

I don't know , but'.  Is the image OK without the focal reducer? 

• nikulsuthar likes this

#3 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 September 2022 - 03:59 AM

Hi All,

Many thanks for taking time to read my below question.

Has anyone tried to do DSO long exposure imaging with Celestron C6 SCT and Celestron f6.3 focal reducer field flattener along with a 4/3rd micro chip sensor (e.g. ZWO ASI 294MC/MM or ZWO ASI 1600MM)? If yes then have you experienced any vignetting in your subs? This is because the orange tube body Nexstar 6SE has only 1.25" of visual back (hole diameter at the back of the telescope body). Considering 105mm of back focus distance on Celestron f6.3 focal reducer field flattener this should most probably cause vignetting. Please let me know if you have any such vignetting experience.

Thanks,
Nikul

Me no, but there are quite a few questions an this topic and some images.

What the images have shown is that in general the c6 does not cope well with focal reducers.
  • nikulsuthar likes this

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:15 AM

Do you already have the reducer?
You could search astrobin for such combo.

Here's one
https://www.astrobin.../6y25bq/?nc=all
  • nikulsuthar likes this

#5 daveco2

daveco2

Viking 1

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:01 AM

Not surprising going from f/10 to f/6.3. The image circle gets reduced accordingly, aggravating vignetting.  See the write up on Agena Astro regarding focal reducers.

• nikulsuthar likes this

#6 nikulsuthar

nikulsuthar

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:31 PM

My usual answer is 

I don't know , but'.  Is the image OK without the focal reducer? 

I've captured Moon and planets without the focal reducer where I did not see much vignetting. But doing long exposure DSO imaging is a different story altogether and flat frames are critical...

#7 nikulsuthar

nikulsuthar

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:35 PM

Me no, but there are quite a few questions an this topic and some images.

What the images have shown is that in general the c6 does not cope well with focal reducers.

No... On the product page of the f/6.3 focal reducer they have mentioned C6 in the comptibility list and I believe that it should work... But with the steeper light cone at f/6.3 as compared to f/10 might induce vignetting. I may try with the camera to test it out...

#8 nikulsuthar

nikulsuthar

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:36 PM

Do you already have the reducer?
You could search astrobin for such combo.

Here's one
https://www.astrobin.../6y25bq/?nc=all

The Astrobin link is great... I did not see vignetting there that too with an APSC DSLR sensor... I think that this answers my question of less chances of vignetting... Thank you.... waytogo.gif

#9 nikulsuthar

nikulsuthar

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:42 PM

Not surprising going from f/10 to f/6.3. The image circle gets reduced accordingly, aggravating vignetting.  See the write up on Agena Astro regarding focal reducers

Not till now... I read it and found very useful... Many thanks for mentioning it... waytogo.gif

#10 EGregerson

EGregerson

Vostok 1

• Loc: Newport News, VA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:42 PM

I'm thinking 2" visual back; i note u have a 9.25; that should have a 2". any issues with the 6.3 on that ota? 

• nikulsuthar likes this

#11 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:10 AM

No... On the product page of the f/6.3 focal reducer they have mentioned C6 in the comptibility list and I believe that it should work... But with the steeper light cone at f/6.3 as compared to f/10 might induce vignetting. I may try with the camera to test it out...

On this forum is an impressive example of full frame formatting with heavy vingetting from a c6
  • nikulsuthar likes this

#12 nikulsuthar

nikulsuthar

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:25 AM

I'm thinking 2" visual back; i note u have a 9.25; that should have a 2". any issues with the 6.3 on that ota? 

The hole at the back of the optical tube is 1.25" in my C6 but is 2" in my C9.25. So even by using a 2" visual back adapter I cannot increase the diameter of the light cone...

#13 nikulsuthar

nikulsuthar

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:26 AM

On this forum is an impressive example of full frame formatting with heavy vingetting from a c6

Thanks for the pointer... I'll search it out and see whether I find any clue...

#14 rob1986

rob1986

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 October 2022 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the pointer... I'll search it out and see whether I find any clue...

I tried to find it in my history but didn't manage due to time constraints

The image was beautifull, but you could literally see the shadow effects of every stupid piece of baffling, the mirror at the same aperture as the corrector, and the vignetting imposed by secondary size.

Honestly pictures like it ahould be pinned with milimeter scales and all info on the OTA for 1answering questions like these in great detail

Edited by rob1986, 03 October 2022 - 01:20 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Catadioptric, Celestron, DSO, Equipment, Imaging, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics