•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My photo of Andromeda (and asking for back focus help)

Beginner DSO Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Vanguard

• Loc: New York

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:37 AM

Mike, Are you saying use both extensions?  

Yes but, I'm just quoting what ZWO says gives you the 55mm needed. The camera is m42 thread and the flattener is m48. One of those spacer rings is a m42 to m48 stepdown adapter, the 16.5 I think. From looking at Matts pic I guess the 21 is an m42 extension so it has to go on the camera, then the adapter, then the flattener.

I had just finished installing the AT60FF flattener on my 60ED when I posted last night. But I used a different camera with a filter drawer so I used different parts to get the 55mm backfocus. It hasn't seen first light yet.

#27 limeyx

limeyx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 30 September 2022 - 01:24 PM

Here's how I've attached my guidescope to the AT60ED. I have a set of tube rings to fit the scope, and clamp it to a plate bolted to the top of the tube rings. It's just a generic 50mm guidescope readily available under many brand names on Amazon. I am in the process of replacing the guidescope rings themselves with something that is more rigid, but at these focal lengths it's not a big deal.

attachicon.gifAnnotation 2022-09-30 095019.jpg

Would love to know where you got the scope rings. I think they are 76mm ? I've been looking all over and no one has them

#28 FrostByte

FrostByte

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 30 September 2022 - 01:30 PM

Would love to know where you got the scope rings. I think they are 76mm ? I've been looking all over and no one has them

Yes, those are the 76mm Orion telescope rings. I ordered them from Amazon about a year ago, but haven't seen them anywhere since. I'm beginning to think I bought the last set on the planet...

#29 rrbailey89

rrbailey89

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:12 PM

Yes. Remove the compression ring holder. You can orient the camera with the angle adjuster that the flattener is screwed to.

This should help.  Here's my rig.  I also use the AT60ED.

attachicon.gifImage Train Stackup.JPG

The goal is to get 55mm total distance from the last surface of the flattener to the camera sensor.  This is called the backfocus.

• The ZWO camera itself has 6.5mm of distance from the sensor to the front of the body
  • The 11mm T2 adapter ring goes on next
  • Then the 21mm ring
  • Then the 16.5mm ring
  • And screw that to the flattener

Add all those numbers up and you get... 55mm!

This is one of the first things you have to figure out when attaching a camera to a flattener.  Fortunately ZWO has made it (relatively) simple with the rings they provide.  

Now that you have it attached properly you won't have to fiddle with the eyepiece holder anymore, and your images will be consistant.

Hi, I have a similar setup, just based on the european market. I have a TS-Optics 60ED and a ZWO ASI533MC-Pro. At the moment I am using a flattener-reducer 0.8x from SkyRover (I guess it's the same as the AT or TS) and I used the spacers with my camera to reach 55mm of backfocus. I honestly second guessed myself several times if I was doing something wrong, especially because of the resulting image train appearing very long.

Additional gear:
- 30mm f/4 Guidescope from Aliexpress with ZWO ASI120MM mini and USB dew heater
- ASIAIR Pro with WiFi mini-router/extender
- 12v dew heater

Thanks all for posting images of your setups, so from my understanding everything that I should need to achieve back focus came inside of the 533MC box. Ill take another stab at it. I think its just what PuDDu mentioned that I was second guessing myself mostly because things were not threading. I think because I just wasnt using the right pieces. 

Does anyone have any images of what it would look like with an OAG-L tossed into the mix?

#30 rrbailey89

rrbailey89

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:15 PM

Here's how I've attached my guidescope to the AT60ED. I have a set of tube rings to fit the scope, and clamp it to a plate bolted to the top of the tube rings. It's just a generic 50mm guidescope readily available under many brand names on Amazon. I am in the process of replacing the guidescope rings themselves with something that is more rigid, but at these focal lengths it's not a big deal.

attachicon.gifAnnotation 2022-09-30 095019.jpg

Can you tell me what you have running on that PI?

#31 FrostByte

FrostByte

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:25 PM

It’s running Kstars and Ekos via astroberry server. It’s a planetarium/image capture/automation program for Linux.

#32 rrbailey89

rrbailey89

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2022 - 06:43 PM

It’s running Kstars and Ekos via astroberry server. It’s a planetarium/image capture/automation program for Linux.

This is interesting enough to possibly make me get a other PI...

• FrostByte likes this

#33 limeyx

limeyx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:06 PM

Yes, those are the 76mm Orion telescope rings. I ordered them from Amazon about a year ago, but haven't seen them anywhere since. I'm beginning to think I bought the last set on the planet...

Beginning to think you are right :(

#34 FrostByte

FrostByte

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:10 PM

Beginning to think you are right :(

Keep an eye on Agena’s website - they have a comparable part. It’s showing serious delay, possibly by the end of the year. It’ll come back eventually.

#35 FrostByte

FrostByte

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:12 PM

This is interesting enough to possibly make me get a other PI...

It’s great software. Not the easiest to learn, and not as well supported as others (it’s kind of a one-guy show) but works really well once you get the basics. If you decide to try it and need some help getting started, feel free to send me a PM.

#36 rrbailey89

rrbailey89

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:44 PM

This should help.  Here's my rig.  I also use the AT60ED.

attachicon.gifImage Train Stackup.JPG

The goal is to get 55mm total distance from the last surface of the flattener to the camera sensor.  This is called the backfocus.

• The ZWO camera itself has 6.5mm of distance from the sensor to the front of the body
  • The 11mm T2 adapter ring goes on next
  • Then the 21mm ring
  • Then the 16.5mm ring
  • And screw that to the flattener

Add all those numbers up and you get... 55mm!

This is one of the first things you have to figure out when attaching a camera to a flattener.  Fortunately ZWO has made it (relatively) simple with the rings they provide.  

Now that you have it attached properly you won't have to fiddle with the eyepiece holder anymore, and your images will be consistant.

This helped out quite a bit, thank you. What I had not realized was that the eyepiece (the 1.25" t mount) came in the box already attached to the 11mm t2 adapter you reference in your image. 

• matt_astro_tx likes this

#37 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 01 October 2022 - 04:46 PM

This helped out quite a bit, thank you. What I had not realized was that the eyepiece (the 1.25" t mount) came in the box already attached to the 11mm t2 adapter you reference in your image. 

Ah yes, I can see how that would be confusing!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, DSO, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics