•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter C8 27 Sept 2022

Astrophotography Catadioptric Planet SCT
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kenya

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:45 AM

My First Post here in Cloudy Nightslaugh.gif

Taken with C8 with 2.5x Powermate and ASI 224mc.

Seeing 7/10.

Please give suggestions on how to improve and sharpen to reveal finer details on the bands.

Dhiren

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1664451245150.jpg

• Mert, Markovich, jim kuhns and 17 others like this

#2 cinenosin

cinenosin

Sputnik

• Loc: Montgomery, TX

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:25 AM

Sharpening detail in planetary images is usually best with wavelet processing and deconvolution.  I have found the best wavelet and deconvolution processor is in AstroSurface.  I have found AutoStakkert does a better job stacking, however.  Give it a try.

Rob

• Dhiren_B likes this

#3 Alex___B

Alex___B

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:34 AM

Hello,
First of all it's good result *wow*
To advise, in visual it's good idea to use colour filters for planet observations. Blue and red filters will improve contrast of details from bands&GRS to polar areas. You can use filters with your Powermate, stack it as good as others and use this high contrast images as masks to postprocessing in Photoshop.

Clear Skies,
Alex
  • jim kuhns and Dhiren_B like this

#4 RedLionNJ  Happy Birthday!

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:04 AM

Hello,
First of all it's good result *wow*
To advise, in visual it's good idea to use colour filters for planet observations. Blue and red filters will improve contrast of details from bands&GRS to polar areas. You can use filters with your Powermate, stack it as good as others and use this high contrast images as masks to postprocessing in Photoshop.

Clear Skies,
Alex

The OP stated he was using an ASI224mc.  Filters (other than IR-cut) are not required.

I would work at a reduced image scale (maybe a 1.6x or 2x barlow instead of 2.5x), use an aftermarket Crayford-style focuser, optimize collimation and perhaps hope for better seeing.

• BGazing and Dhiren_B like this

#5 marvyyk

marvyyk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:20 AM

Very nice image!! waytogo.gif

Welcome to CN!! smile.gif

• Dhiren_B likes this

#6 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:31 AM

Sharpening detail in planetary images is usually best with wavelet processing and deconvolution.  I have found the best wavelet and deconvolution processor is in AstroSurface.  I have found AutoStakkert does a better job stacking, however.  Give it a try.

Rob

Have used AutoStakkert for stacking but used Registax for Wavelets.

Will try re-processing with AstroSurface and see how it turns outs.

Thanks for the advice Rob

• cinenosin likes this

#7 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:38 AM

The OP stated he was using an ASI224mc.  Filters (other than IR-cut) are not required.

I would work at a reduced image scale (maybe a 1.6x or 2x barlow instead of 2.5x), use an aftermarket Crayford-style focuser, optimize collimation and perhaps hope for better seeing.

Will try that.

Regarding collimation,I agree it was not spot on .I found it hard to collimate so didn't bother much because of limited viewing time.

Even focusing via EAF seems to shift the mirror. I think i will invest in a crayford-style focuser as you adviced.

Thank you.

• RedLionNJ likes this

#8 Astronomia Oaxaca

Astronomia Oaxaca

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oaxaca Oax. Mexico

Posted 29 September 2022 - 08:49 AM

Your image is very very good for a 8" telescope, I think that maybe you have obtained the best resolution this size of telescope can reach. I also think that your processing is excellent. Maybe the only way to have a slightly better image is to have a 10/10 seeing.

#9 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 10:33 AM

Your image is very very good for a 8" telescope, I think that maybe you have obtained the best resolution this size of telescope can reach. I also think that your processing is excellent. Maybe the only way to have a slightly better image is to have a 10/10 seeing.

Thank you. Maybe am just spoilt by the excellent images being posted here smile.gif .

#10 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 September 2022 - 02:52 PM

It is possible but challenging to use 2.5x powermate with 224 camera and a C8. I believe Kiwiray uses a 2.5x with his C9.25 but he winds up reducing the size when he's done processing.

Get the collimation as precise as possible. Collect lots of frames with a 3 minute or even 4 minute video. Combine your best results with Winjupos, Three or four good images combined with Winjupos will improve your S/N by about 2x. Steve Yock often combines 10 images.

AstraImage deconvolution can bring a little "pop" to the details. Darryl Milika aka Kokatha Man has an excellent tutorial here:

https://momilika.net...3Processing.htm

• cinenosin likes this

#11 cinenosin

cinenosin

Sputnik

• Loc: Montgomery, TX

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:15 PM

Have used AutoStakkert for stacking but used Registax for Wavelets.

Will try re-processing with AstroSurface and see how it turns outs.

Thanks for the advice Rob

You are welcome.  Yes, I started with RegiStax.  With practice, AstroSurface wavelet and deconvolution work much better.

In regard to other posts, I would add that 2.5x is perfect for your telescope.  I used a 2.5x on the images below, and used drizzle to further increase the image size.  I used the EdgeHD 14 with a ZWO ASI462MC and Astronomik ProPlanet IR642 for luminance, and EdgeHD 8 with Optolong L-Pro for chroma (captured simultaneously with two telescopes).  The Jupiter image was 9, 1 minute prestacked images derotated in WinJupOS.  By using the smallest possible ROI and fastest exposure time, the frame rate was about 200fps.  All totaled, the better part of 200,000 frames were used to create the Jupiter image.

JupSatMars.jpg

• Dhiren_B likes this

#12 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:45 PM

Actually Dhiren, you have a superb image. I made some small adjustments. You have east and west reversed. You can stretch the Histogram with Registax although I used Levels in Paintshop Pro to do it. I used a little Deconvolution in Astra Image. And with a C8 about 6 pixels per arc second is a better size so I reduced your image to 63%. And just a little noise reduction.

I repeat, this is a superb image!

Jeff

post-425198-0-68309400-1664451563_AI&PSP.png

• Sinemetu63 and Dhiren_B like this

#13 JMP

JMP

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 September 2022 - 04:49 PM

Darryl Milika aka Kokatha Man has an excellent tutorial series about how to process Jupiter images.

• Mert likes this

#14 RedLionNJ  Happy Birthday!

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:06 PM

And with a C8 about 6 pixels per arc second is a better size so I reduced your image to 63%. And just a little noise reduction.

Both excellent points.

• Dhiren_B likes this

#15 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:30 PM

It is possible but challenging to use 2.5x powermate with 224 camera and a C8. I believe Kiwiray uses a 2.5x with his C9.25 but he winds up reducing the size when he's done processing.

Get the collimation as precise as possible. Collect lots of frames with a 3 minute or even 4 minute video. Combine your best results with Winjupos, Three or four good images combined with Winjupos will improve your S/N by about 2x. Steve Yock often combines 10 images.

AstraImage deconvolution can bring a little "pop" to the details. Darryl Milika aka Kokatha Man has an excellent tutorial here:

Will definitely look into AstraImage and Darryl's tutorial.I believe he is among the finest planetary imagers around with you included .

Edited by Dhiren_B, 29 September 2022 - 06:32 PM.

#16 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:36 PM

Actually Dhiren, you have a superb image. I made some small adjustments. You have east and west reversed. You can stretch the Histogram with Registax although I used Levels in Paintshop Pro to do it. I used a little Deconvolution in Astra Image. And with a C8 about 6 pixels per arc second is a better size so I reduced your image to 63%. And just a little noise reduction.

I repeat, this is a superb image!

Jeff

attachicon.gifpost-425198-0-68309400-1664451563_AI&PSP.png

Excellent  

#17 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:47 PM

How can I tell the East-West orientation ? Is it the bands direction or ?

Also is there a particular software to calculate and watermark the coordinates and time to images of planets or i have to watermark these manually?

• RedLionNJ likes this

#18 Ashman

Ashman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra, Australia

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:41 PM

Nice image!

• Dhiren_B likes this

#19 RedLionNJ  Happy Birthday!

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 30 September 2022 - 10:23 PM

How can I tell the East-West orientation ? Is it the bands direction or ?

Also is there a particular software to calculate and watermark the coordinates and time to images of planets or i have to watermark these manually?

Features rotate toward the preceding (western) edge of Jupiter.

If you're capturing with FireCapture, there is a utility in the package called SessionBrowser - this can be used to populate a frame around your processed image, containing information such as observer details, date/time and CMs.

• Dhiren_B likes this

#20 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:49 AM

Nice image!

Thank You 🙏

#21 Dhiren_B

Dhiren_B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:51 AM

Features rotate toward the preceding (western) edge of Jupiter.

If you're capturing with FireCapture, there is a utility in the package called SessionBrowser - this can be used to populate a frame around your processed image, containing information such as observer details, date/time and CMs.

Need to dig FireCapture deeper to understand it better.Thanks for the info.

#22 windswift

windswift

Lift Off

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 02 October 2022 - 02:11 PM

really nice picture, I wish I can take a similar one with my C8. 

can you share a little bit more information like how many frames you used for stacking? thanks

#23 Tulloch

Tulloch

Aurora

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 02 October 2022 - 03:19 PM

My First Post here in Cloudy Nightslaugh.gif

Taken with C8 with 2.5x Powermate and ASI 224mc.

Seeing 7/10.

Please give suggestions on how to improve and sharpen to reveal finer details on the bands.

Great first image, lots of detail on the planet, fantastic work.

Great tips there, most of which are in the FAQ at the top of the page.

https://www.cloudyni...ated-july-2022/

I also image with a 2.5x Powermate and ASI224MC, this gives me a focal ratio of around f/21, which is just about perfect. I'd continue with the 2.5x PM, it's a great device for planetary imaging.

Just get your east-west sorted (I made the same mistake with my first post here) and display the images at the pixel size you captured them at.

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 02 October 2022 - 03:21 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Catadioptric, Planet, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics