•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone using an SX AO unit?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drmikevt

drmikevt

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Burlington, VT

Posted 29 September 2022 - 11:39 AM

I have one, but have not successfully integrated it into my imaging train yet.  If you have one, and use it - please talk about your experiences and what software you've used and/or has worked best.  I'm only familiar with even trying to control it through Maxim or the INDI framework, and I don't own Maxim (but will consider if that's my only real option).  

Any and all input is appreciated!  What is not needed is a discussion on the merits of an AO or not.

Thanks!

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Aurora

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 29 September 2022 - 12:07 PM

I just sold the AO unit I had since I am downsizing but I used it with PHD2 and even MaximDL at times. My thinking is PHD2 would be the easiest way to use it without buying additional software. 

• drmikevt likes this

#3 drmikevt

drmikevt

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Burlington, VT

Posted 29 September 2022 - 02:00 PM

I just sold the AO unit I had since I am downsizing but I used it with PHD2 and even MaximDL at times. My thinking is PHD2 would be the easiest way to use it without buying additional software. 

Thanks - can you quantify/estimate the difference/improvement in star tightness given that you already have very high quality mounts?  

#4 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:32 AM

I used (*) one for many years controlled by PHD2 on Linux, in concert with EKOS. Worked very well.

-- Hans

(*) Cannot use it with my current setup because of reducer with insufficient backfocus distance.

• drmikevt likes this

#5 D_talley

D_talley

Aurora

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:00 AM

I used the AO unit when I had other mounts, not the ones I currently use. I cant give you an estimate on how improved the stars were but I believe it improved my photos. I did not test with and without the AO. 

• drmikevt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics