•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Saturn through the SVX102D

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kmparsons

kmparsons

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:12 PM

​I got my SVX102D last February and was impressed with the lunar and deep sky views but was disappointed that there were no bright planets in the early evening sky. Now Jupiter and Saturn are ideally located, and the weather is perfect after a summer of record-breaking heat. I set up in my backyard in my badly light-polluted Houston suburb (Bortle 7) and used an AP MaxBright diagonal and a TV 3-6mm zoom EP with my SVX. I also observed with my AT92mm for comparison, using the same diagonal and EP. My impressions:

Saturn: The best view I have had of Saturn was through the 13" Fitz-Clark refractor at Allegheny Observatory in Pittsburgh. No instrument that I possess can match that, of course, but the view through the SVX was most satisfying. The scope delivered all you could expect from a 4" aperture in light polluted skies. I was struck by the subtleties of the coloration of the globe of Saturn. The Cassini Division was clearly present in the rings, and Titan was a bright dot. The Lord of the Rings is impressive in any telescope, but the SVX helped me to appreciate its beauty anew. 

Jupiter: The King of the Planets was a splendid sight last evening. Three moons formed a nearly equilateral triangle to the left with a lone moon to the right. I do not think I have seen that exact configuration before. The cloud bands were sharply defined, giving that "etched" look observers crave. There was no false color that I could detect. Rather, I felt that I was enjoying the planet in its true and natural beauty.

Overall: Observations with the AT92--a triplet of reliable excellence--confirmed the qualities of the SVX's doublet lens. The only problem observing with the SVX was that there is very little depth of focus at moderately high powers (142X), so that, even using the fine-focus knob, it takes a delicate touch to get the focus exactly right. 

So, I am happy to report that, having now seen the performance of the SVX on DSO's, the Moon, and planets, I can say that, as a premium scope should, it does it all. 

• Rome, Scott in NC, Jim Waters and 8 others like this

#2 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:35 PM

I've had my Stellarvue 105mm F/7 Triplet for over 6 years and the views on double stars is the best I've seen in any other scope, absolutely perfect star images even in below average seeing.  

My favorite eyepiece with this scope is also the TV 3-6 mm zoom (122x to 245x) and 244x to 490x with my Celestron Ultima SV barlow that gives me a little more depth of focus at F/14 with powers between 244x and 490x for the close doubles when the seeing is above average.or better.

• Catapoman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics