•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rebuilding my CGE Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MensaDei

MensaDei

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ciney, Belgium

Posted 01 October 2022 - 05:04 AM

My CGE Pro started having pointing and tracking problems after installing the Celestron WLAN SkyPortal module and became completely useless. I found a “clone” of the MC online from Camera Concept in NY and after installation, all seemed to work fine. But as soon as I used the Skyportal module again, the same problems came again: Declination didn't respond correctly and the mount was completely messed up, even a simple polar alignment became impossible.I loved my CGE Pro, and I had no intention of buying a new CGX-L with tripod or using my CGE Pro as a flower stand or doorstop.Thus, I started looking online for those who had similar experiences and maybe solutions.

Click here to view the article
  • Thomas Ashcraft likes this

#2 Dupree

Dupree

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 October 2022 - 01:53 PM

Interesting article.  I've got a 10 year old CGEM-DX that I hyper-tuned after a lot of issues with tracking.  It's been performing well since the Hypertune but, I'm wondering how long until one of the motors or the controller board go offline permanently.  With everything running well for now, I'll continuing to use the mount until the very end.  In the meantime I"m considering which mount may replace it.  After reading articles like this one, I'm not confident that I would purchase another Celestron mount at this point. 

There are many equatorial mounts, although there are precious few that can handle a a 25 kg payload.  No clear choices.  One thing I will say is that after all the good times I've had surfing the heavens with this mount I've got a sentimental attachment to it.  Replacing it with another mount won't necessarily get me better performance, but like all machines, there is a lifecycle that is limited mostly by the availability of spare parts.  Hopefully, I won't have to get another mount in the near term.

Thanks again for the article.  Good news to hear that you've resurrected your CGE Pro. Hope it lasts many years going forward.  Cheers & Clear Skies!

• rojavastars likes this

#3 MensaDei

MensaDei

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2022 - 12:25 AM

Hi Dupree, thanks for the comment. As you can read I didn't want to part from a great mount with a 45kg payload. So while I have an EQ8 Pro, the CGE Pro is now mounted on a three wheel adjustable dolly, allowing me to avoid the limits of my observatory (limited horizon view) and enjoying a certain mobility. And it was a very satisfying project with a great outcome. Since clear skies have been very rare since I finished the rebuilt, I hope to show some deep sky pictures soon. In essence, I just do not want to let go things to waste.

#4 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 10 October 2022 - 04:05 PM

And you shouldn't. That mount cost you good money and i am glad you returned it to life

#5 TonyStar

TonyStar

Viking 1

Posted 14 October 2022 - 07:58 PM

Onstep rocks. ATMers owe a debt of gratitude to Howard Dutton for developing the original software and hardware as a freeware.

• MensaDei likes this

#6 LouHalikman

LouHalikman

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Central Maryland

Posted 25 October 2022 - 09:40 PM

Sorry I sold my mount but the retrofit was not available (I think) three years ago when my mount died.

#7 astrowatkins

astrowatkins

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 November 2022 - 10:02 PM

My CGE Pro quit working two weeks after I bought it new. I returned it to factory and received it back working with no cost to me. It ran for another two years and totally quit working again. With no replacement parts I gave up on it and replaced it with a Losmandy G-11 T. This is a great mount and Losmandy has great service and replacement parts, of witch I have not had to use for the mount is working very well. If you want a mount you can depend on please check Losmandy out for peace of mind and value for your money. These mounts are made in the USA and are competitive with the Chinese build mounts with much better quality. Sounds impossible but do yourself a favor and research the Losmandy mounts. 

• lwbehney, bryanj2990 and MensaDei like this

#8 MensaDei

MensaDei

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2022 - 01:20 AM

I had finally a clear sky, after months of cloudy or rainy nights. I made a few 300sec 1 bin pictures with the TS 102 F7 refractor.http://C:\Users\benn...ht_Stack_22.jpg

#9 Bob Berta

Bob Berta

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 02:06 PM

I manage a Scout observatory that has the CGE PRO and a 14" SCT HD. Thus far it all works fine but who knows when something goes wrong. My own personal mounts include an AP 1100 and a AP 900 neither of which have given any grief and of course run superbly. While these are more expensive by far than the Chinese mounts....in the long run I am happy that they don't have planned obsolescence built in.

I had an old Vixen SS 2K Setup but there are no replacement parts available (I need the wiring harness) so it is now a door stop. That was a REALLY excellent setup. That was Japanese so the Chinese electronics aren't alone in lack of support. I even contacted the company in Japan but no luck ;-)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics