•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Backyard Radio Telescope

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mwnargund

mwnargund

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2022 - 01:33 PM

Hello, 

I have started reading and researching about radio astronomy. I want to set up a radio telescope in my backyard, but dont have much information. 

Can someone on this forum guide me on the equipment and procedure to set up a radio telescope?

Regards............

#2 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 October 2022 - 02:10 PM

Try this forum...

https://www.cloudyni...teur-astronomy/

• mwnargund likes this

#3 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Vanguard

Posted 01 October 2022 - 02:27 PM

I want to set up a radio telescope in my backyard, but dont have much information. Can someone on this forum guide me on the equipment and procedure to set up a radio telescope?

Welcome to CN. My advice would be to keep reading and researching then ask specific questions about your needs/problems when you start to build one. Folks are more likely to help you when you demonstrate that you've spent some effort yourself instead of simply asking folks to "guide you" through it from the beginning. You might also try Google: "backyard radio telescope". I see that there are plenty of DIY articles online as well.

Good luck with your project.

• mwnargund likes this

#4 mwnargund

mwnargund

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 October 2022 - 02:42 PM

Welcome to CN. My advice would be to keep reading and researching then ask specific questions about your needs/problems when you start to build one. Folks are more likely to help you when you demonstrate that you've spent some effort yourself instead of simply asking folks to "guide you" through it from the beginning. You might also try Google: "backyard radio telescope". I see that there are plenty of DIY articles online as well.

Good luck with your project.

Point taken and agreed. I'll come back with specific questions.

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 01 October 2022 - 04:01 PM

Depending on how big and how technical you are you might take a look at the Society For Amateur Radio Astronomy's (SARA) Scope in a Box.

If you want to take a look at what you might expect to see look at Pictor, an online radio telescope in Athens, Greece.

• JohnnyMac, Midnight Skies and mwnargund like this

#6 dmcarlsn

dmcarlsn

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2022 - 07:41 PM

DIY horn telescope and software:

https://wvurail.org/...a-lessons/tour/

• mwnargund likes this

#7 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Viking 1

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:58 AM

If you search for "radio telescope" here on CN (be sure and use the quotes), you will find lots of postings from people who have built their own radio telescopes and have provided plenty of details about what they did.  I built a horn out of cardboard and aluminum foil (and a few other not very expensive things) back during the COVID lock-down and I thought it worked very well-- I am very satisfied with it.  Small horns are easy to build and the 21-cm line is easy to detect with modern electronics.

Link to a previous posting with details of what I did:

https://www.cloudyni...adio-telescope/

Tom

• mwnargund likes this

#8 mwnargund

mwnargund

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2022 - 10:43 PM

Thank you everyone. These is very helpful guidence.

#9 m0bius

m0bius

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, CA

Posted 08 October 2022 - 10:29 AM

This is some fun - nice idea for another type of antenna too...

"Radio Jove"

https://radiojove.gs....0_overview.php

I can vouch for the RSP1A reciever, very versatile device and pretty inexpensive.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics