•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pixelmath for HaRGB blending, objects with bright areas

Astrophotography Software
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 balykos

balykos

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York, NY

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:35 PM

Hello,

I've made my first attempt to collect Ha + LRGB data using M31 as my target. My equipment is EQ6-R, Canon 400mm lens, ZWO ASI 1600MM with filters. I also used NINA, Siril & Gimp for software.

I collected the following subs under a Bortle 4 sky:

37x180" and 16x60" L, (76 gain, 15 offset)

16x120" R,G,B, (76 gain, 15 offset)

12x300" Ha 7nm ZWO filter (139gain, 21 offset) - I plan to add 2-3 hours of Ha to clean up the signal

so far I've done an LRGB composition in Siril using the 180"L & 120" RGB data and the results seem fine to me.

when I try to use Pixelmath to add Ha data to the galaxy, I always seem to blow out the core and add noise to the R background. At this point I'm thinking of blending the R and the R+Ha image using masks in GIMP.

formula: iif ((R<m), R, R + l*((Ha -k*R) - m*(Ha-k*R)))

k = scaling factor, l=boost factor, m=median value of Ha-k*R image.

it seems that the formulas circulating on websites and social media seem to work for smaller galaxies where there are not a lot of bright spots such as the core of M31. how do you typically handle blending Ha with R for M31 or perhaps the Horsehead with Altinak in the frame?

Assuming of course you would be willing to share the recipe to your secret sauce!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics