•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First time M33

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ataanzali

ataanzali

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:13 PM

Hello,

I have been gaining some experience and, more importantly, learning to be patient with my imaging sessions. This is the result of 7hr+ data gathering at Bortle 4 skies of my backyard. No filter was used. Captured with a modded Canon T3i + TV NP101 on a EQ6R-Pro guided 4min subs at 1600 gain - two moonless nights. I am planning to add some H-alpha data to this to see how it changes. I have gone a little bit overboard with saturation and sharpening but i like image. Any suggestions would be welcome. The attached picture is, of course, downsized to fit here.

Thanks for looking,

Ata

Attached Thumbnails

• m33twonights4small.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, Bob Campbell, DaveB and 19 others like this

#2 Gridley

Gridley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Rutland Prison Camp ;) MA, USA

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:20 PM

Very nice!  

#3 Ettu

Ettu

Viking 1

• Loc: 45N90W Wisconsin USA

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:27 PM

Well, I think you're off to a good start.

The adventure begins waytogo.gif

Going forward, patience will be a comforting companion.

• ataanzali likes this

#4 ataanzali

ataanzali

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:33 PM

Well, I think you're off to a good start.

The adventure begins waytogo.gif

Going forward, patience will be a comforting companion.

Thanks! it is not really a start for me - I have been doing it for two years now but in a sense it is a start because I finally feel like I have gotten a grasp of it and rather than being overwhelmed with all details I am learning to hone certain skills. It is a good feeling! Do you think adding some h-alpha would help? I am not even sure how long my h-alpha exposures should be...

#5 Ettu

Ettu

Viking 1

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:47 PM

Thanks! it is not really a start for me - I have been doing it for two years now but in a sense it is a start because I finally feel like I have gotten a grasp of it and rather than being overwhelmed with all details I am learning to hone certain skills. It is a good feeling! Do you think adding some h-alpha would help? I am not even sure how long my h-alpha exposures should be...

Try it, see if you like it, is my best advice

I know what you mean. it took me a year before I started to make any progress. I almost gave up. I'm glad I stuck with it. So many things can give the same poor result. It's hard to fix anything because although you might be improving something, you can hardly tell because something else is still messing and confusing the picture. 

#6 vidrazor

vidrazor

Gemini

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 03 October 2022 - 11:52 PM

Nice work! How did you post process it? What Bortle skies?

Looks great.

Edited by vidrazor, 03 October 2022 - 11:53 PM.

#7 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Gemini

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 04 October 2022 - 01:30 AM

This is really a really good start.. I like it a lot and I am sure the data is fantastic..  good job..!!

The only critique I have is there seems to be a lot missing in your histogram or some very large gaps or swipes in the mid levels.

This usually happens during the stretch or when too much of a kind of Clarity or Structure type tool is used.

You color and luminance look close to spot on, the only thing that I see missing is those details in the arm structure that have been clipped off by some part of your post work, but that is something most ever does or has done, so don't take what I say to harshly.  I still do it when I don't see it.

Really nice work. Add more data..  Not sure of the tools you are using, but I think Siril would take this data quite far.  The generalized hyperbolic transformation can allow you to sretch in a segmented way.  Pretty slick, and a bit more flexible than Asinh Transfermation, Arcsine or however its spelled.  :)

Keep at it.. Looking quite good.

Clear Skies !!

• ataanzali likes this

#8 ataanzali

ataanzali

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:50 AM

Nice work! How did you post process it? What Bortle skies?

Looks great.

Sorry, I should have mentioned: stacked in DSS, post-processing done in PS and Lightroom. My backyard is Bortle 4 as I mention in the original post

#9 ataanzali

ataanzali

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:51 AM

This is really a really good start.. I like it a lot and I am sure the data is fantastic..  good job..!!

The only critique I have is there seems to be a lot missing in your histogram or some very large gaps or swipes in the mid levels.

This usually happens during the stretch or when too much of a kind of Clarity or Structure type tool is used.

You color and luminance look close to spot on, the only thing that I see missing is those details in the arm structure that have been clipped off by some part of your post work, but that is something most ever does or has done, so don't take what I say to harshly.  I still do it when I don't see it.

Really nice work. Add more data..  Not sure of the tools you are using, but I think Siril would take this data quite far.  The generalized hyperbolic transformation can allow you to sretch in a segmented way.  Pretty slick, and a bit more flexible than Asinh Transfermation, Arcsine or however its spelled.  smile.gif

Keep at it.. Looking quite good.

Clear Skies !!

Yes, I noticed the histogram and I would like to take another stab at it without stretching/sharpening to the extent that makes the histogram look so aweful. Thanks for your feedback.

#10 Ettu

Ettu

Viking 1

Posted 04 October 2022 - 09:51 AM

Hello,

7hr+ data gathering at Bortle 4 skies of my backyard. No filter was used. Captured with a modded Canon T3i + TV NP101 on a EQ6R-Pro guided 4min subs at 1600 gain - two moonless nights. 

Thanks for looking,

Ata

That is a nice combination of scope and camera. Imo the TeleVue NP101 is one of the better buys on the used market, for a high quality refractor.

It's flat field and aberation free, even across a full frame dslr, But there's a lot of light drop off to the sides and corners of a full frame. The APS chip is a better match. The pixel size could be a little smaller, but its okay.

Once TV came out with their imaging optimized (i.s.) version the price of the original NP101 dropped to half what it used to be, but of course it's quality and capability didn't drop a whit = a good buy for wide field hi rez, fast (f5.4) imaging. I love mine.

#11 ataanzali

ataanzali

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2022 - 09:13 PM

That is a nice combination of scope and camera. Imo the TeleVue NP101 is one of the better buys on the used market, for a high quality refractor.

It's flat field and aberation free, even across a full frame dslr, But there's a lot of light drop off to the sides and corners of a full frame. The APS chip is a better match. The pixel size could be a little smaller, but its okay.

Once TV came out with their imaging optimized (i.s.) version the price of the original NP101 dropped to half what it used to be, but of course it's quality and capability didn't drop a whit = a good buy for wide field hi rez, fast (f5.4) imaging. I love mine.

Thanks - I don't own that scope :) it is a loaner from a friend I have been using in the past couple of months. It has impeccable color correction but I am struggling with some odd shaped stars, especially on the corners of the APS-C sensor ...I don't think it is a focus issue since I have checked individual subs taken immediately after focusing with a mask and they do suffer from this as well. I am not sure, may be my friend banged the scope but I search and looks like others are having similar problems with some sort of astigmatism:

https://www.cloudyni...-is-this/#entry

#12 Ettu

Ettu

Viking 1

Posted 05 October 2022 - 01:59 PM

Thanks - I don't own that scope smile.gif it is a loaner from a friend I have been using in the past couple of months. It has impeccable color correction but I am struggling with some odd shaped stars, especially on the corners of the APS-C sensor ...I don't think it is a focus issue since I have checked individual subs taken immediately after focusing with a mask and they do suffer from this as well. I am not sure, may be my friend banged the scope but I search and looks like others are having similar problems with some sort of astigmatism:

https://www.cloudyni...-is-this/#entry

Hmmm,

I don't want to get too far afield with the purpose of your original post, but from your link above, I'd say you have field rotation, chip centering, and tip tilt issues.

I think CCD inspector has a try before buy period. I find that app to be very helpful in diagnosing collimation, centering of the chip in the image plane, and tip tilt.

Feild rotation is usually a polar alignment issue, or if you use a guide scope - differential flexure, of if an OAG equipment flop

Once those issue are straightened out you'll get the best out of the NP101

Edited by Ettu, 05 October 2022 - 02:05 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics