•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AM5 pier extension

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 imranbadr

imranbadr

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2022 - 11:10 PM

There is a pier extension from AM5 mount (PE160) but it has load capacity of 10kg. There used to be PE70 which had much more load capacity but that has been discontinued. Is there ano other alternative or ways to do the extension?  PE160 would not be enouig for heavier scopes and imaging train.

#2 AngryBear

AngryBear

Explorer 1

• Loc: Spokane, Washington

Posted 04 October 2022 - 12:04 AM

There is a pier extension from AM5 mount (PE160) but it has load capacity of 10kg. There used to be PE70 which had much more load capacity but that has been discontinued. Is there ano other alternative or ways to do the extension?  PE160 would not be enouig for heavier scopes and imaging train.

Wow, I am a bit surprised about the PE70, had to check ZWO’s website to see it on the discontinued products page. They just came out with this. I have the PE160 and I am a bit surprised at the 10kg max load. The pier is built really well. Maybe they have a new pier in the works? I know with the PE160 the pier can be separated from the mount and tripod with nothing special. Seems like the PE70 was attached to the mount using the three hex bolts, this would make packing and unpacking a bit more difficult if you wanted to use the ZWO case. You would have to break down the PE70 each time. 

#3 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Ranger 4

• Loc: GASTON S.C

Posted 04 October 2022 - 12:07 AM

zwo is coming out with a   AM5 extension that will hold 50kg   cost $90 plus shipping if possible

from the nation of OMAR

I saw this on this site (   )

pre-order only

have no idea if this help anything at all.

#4 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2022 - 12:27 AM

No link there @FRANKVSTAR.

What's the name of the store?

#5 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2022 - 12:31 AM

I've got both of the current extensions. I use the PE160 for lightweight setups, but the PE70 for 17kg of gear which it handles no problem.

I'd be interested to see what they come out with and if they can make adapters for current tripods like the EQ6-R (Pegasus is doing this with their mount)

#6 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:02 AM

With a heavy setup (AT130EDT) I can confirm that the TC40/PE160 results in quite a bit of vibration. Enough that it's nearly impossible to focus due to the shaking.

I did a quick modification to my AZMP tripod/mini-pier and mounted the AM5 on that with the result that the vibration is virtually gone. It's not as portable as the TC40/PE160 but if using anything heavy it certainly is an option. More testing would be needed to see how much the TC40 contributed by itself to the vibration but for a lightweight setup the ZWO configuration is more than adequate.

• jasonmryca likes this

#7 sctchun

sctchun

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the Middle of the Sea

Posted 04 October 2022 - 05:34 PM

I really hope that ZWO does come up with a replacement for the PE70.  I was fortunate enough to get a pair and I was thinking of getting a third, so much for that.

#8 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:56 PM

I think FRANKVSTAR is talking about the PE70, which some sites have on "pre-order" because it's now discontinued.

Agree with Steven, I'd like ZWO to come up with a beefier extension system. I might email them and make the request.

#9 HeliAv8r

HeliAv8r

Sputnik

• Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 10 October 2022 - 10:28 AM

I heard that ZWO is developing a pier ext called the PE200.  I saw some chatter on FB but now I can't find it.  I'll keep looking.

#10 Tjn58

Tjn58

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Posted 10 October 2022 - 10:07 PM

The PE70 is still available......I picked up a pair last week

#11 HeliAv8r

HeliAv8r

Sputnik

• Loc: Temecula, CA

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:55 PM

I heard that ZWO is developing a pier ext called the PE200.  I saw some chatter on FB but now I can't find it.  I'll keep looking.

I found the FB thread.  Not much other than ZWO saying is coming soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• PE200 FB Post-ZWO.jpg

#12 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 19 October 2022 - 02:39 AM

I like what this youtuber has done.. but he bought both pe70 and pe160 and added the quick release top head of pe160 to the pe70.. the resulting combination does look more sturdier than pe160.

https://www.youtube....h?v=402kSSClHnQ

#13 dciobota

dciobota

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sitting in a corner in southeast Arizona

Posted 19 October 2022 - 04:42 PM

PE200 available for preorder now:

https://astronomy-im...am5-mount-pe200

Very interesting design, a dual setup (with the optional tubes).

• jasonmryca and akdwivedi like this

#14 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2022 - 05:49 PM

PE200 available for preorder now:

https://astronomy-im...am5-mount-pe200

Very interesting design, a dual setup (with the optional tubes).

Also interesting is that they also added the capability to mount to an iOptron or the Sykwatcher AVX tripod.

• jasonmryca and akdwivedi like this

#15 dciobota

dciobota

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sitting in a corner in southeast Arizona

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:02 PM

Also interesting is that they also added the capability to mount to an iOptron or the Sykwatcher AVX tripod.

Yup, but you'll have to buy the adapters for those as well.  That's why the instructions say to remove the silver head plate from the extension first.  The adapter (sold separately) goes in its place.  But it is very nice for them to offer everything as a system.

I wish they would sell a "roll your own" kit instead.  You'd get the top plate, bottom plate, then specify which tripod adapter (zwo, sw or ioptron) and whether you want the tube, pillars, or both.  A nice a la carte menu.  You can buy what you need now, then add more pieces as you go.

#16 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:12 PM

Yup, but you'll have to buy the adapters for those as well.  That's why the instructions say to remove the silver head plate from the extension first.  The adapter (sold separately) goes in its place.  But it is very nice for them to offer everything as a system.

I wish they would sell a "roll your own" kit instead.  You'd get the top plate, bottom plate, then specify which tripod adapter (zwo, sw or ioptron) and whether you want the tube, pillars, or both.  A nice a la carte menu.  You can buy what you need now, then add more pieces as you go.

I think you have it a bit incorrect as the 2 tripod adapters are included in the box. What's extra is the PE160 style conversion rods.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture2.PNG

• dciobota likes this

#17 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 October 2022 - 11:55 PM

oh far out, ahaha. Paying more Aussie pesos to have some made for myself, and ZWO come out with that laugh.gif

Lesson learned... be patient laugh.gif

Edited by Wow!, 20 October 2022 - 02:04 AM.

• akdwivedi likes this

#18 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2022 - 12:01 AM

I'm not sure I think this can be used with the SkyWatcher tripod correctly though. The Azimuth adjustment bolt that is on that tripod also prevents any rotation of the mount. Since this is just held in with the centre bolt now, there isn't anything to stop rotation, even by a tiny amount. What amount is difficult to say, but slewing heavy equipment about might cause loosening of that connection.

#19 joshman

joshman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Coffs Harbour, NSW

Posted 20 October 2022 - 12:59 AM

I'm not sure I think this can be used with the SkyWatcher tripod correctly though. The Azimuth adjustment bolt that is on that tripod also prevents any rotation of the mount. Since this is just held in with the centre bolt now, there isn't anything to stop rotation, even by a tiny amount. What amount is difficult to say, but slewing heavy equipment about might cause loosening of that connection.

From the ZWO site it looks like there might be a cutout in the base of the new pier extension for the north/south pin, so you might be able to put something in to stop the extension from spinning.

#20 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:04 AM

From the ZWO site it looks like there might be a cutout in the base of the new pier extension for the north/south pin, so you might be able to put something in to stop the extension from spinning.

don't say that, haha now I definitely over-spent! :D

• joshman likes this

#21 joshman

joshman

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:08 AM

don't say that, haha now I definitely over-spent! laugh.gif

hahaha, maybe, but you can't beat Josh's fine work. He certainly made a pretty looking extension, and I prefer the cage style - it means i can make attachments to hold stuff.

• Wow! likes this

#22 Wow!

Wow!

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2022 - 02:03 AM

hahaha, maybe, but you can't beat Josh's fine work. He certainly made a pretty looking extension, and I prefer the cage style - it means i can make attachments to hold stuff.

yeah totally. I am only playing anyway. Josh was pricier, sure, but it's a highly custom design and he's a local business that makes awesome bits of kit. Happy to buy from him.

• joshman likes this

#23 joshman

joshman

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 October 2022 - 02:51 AM

yeah totally. I am only playing anyway. Josh was pricier, sure, but it's a highly custom design and he's a local business that makes awesome bits of kit. Happy to buy from him.

I'm all for supporting the locals. I think if i go down the route of getting a new/different pier extension, i'll probably contact Josh, and get something similar to what you did.

• Wow! likes this

#24 akdwivedi

akdwivedi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:03 AM

Josh.. mind sharing a pictiure of his cage style extension.. I am not sure I will get PE200 yet. I have 3xPE70 and only thing lacking is ease of installing the adapter. It takes a long time to connect the pe70 to mount and then connect the other two.

#25 joshman

joshman

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:12 AM

Josh.. mind sharing a pictiure of his cage style extension.. I am not sure I will get PE200 yet. I have 3xPE70 and only thing lacking is ease of installing the adapter. It takes a long time to connect the pe70 to mount and then connect the other two.

He posted a picture over in the big AM5 Thread

https://www.cloudyni...unt/?p=12216273

• akdwivedi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics