•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guiding - The Astro Gods Are Not Cooperating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rgrenader

Rgrenader

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2022 - 11:25 PM

Last week, I successfully imaged M31, everything was working, ASI AIR and guiding cooperated, and I produced a final image that I am very proud of.

Tonight, not so good.  PA completed, target found (Lagoon Nebula), Guiding found stars and locked.  But, the image of the nebula keeps sliding down out of the frame with each sub.  I can see the star that the system is guiding on slowly go towards the top of the guide window, which matches what I am seeing on the main screen.  

Two images attached, one of the guide and mount screens.   At the moment, I am recalibrating guiding.

Any help would be massivly appreciated. 

guide
mount

Edited by Rgrenader, 03 October 2022 - 11:29 PM.

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Hubble

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 October 2022 - 01:21 AM

I think that you are just guiding DEC only "South" based on the GUI. That would explain the target drifting off.

• Jay6879 likes this

#3 c131frdave

c131frdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:28 AM

Looks like your exposure is too long or something.  Or you have dew on your scope.  And your DEC guiding setting should be "auto" or "both" or something (Can't remember).  Not just South.

• Jay6879 likes this

#4 Rgrenader

Rgrenader

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 12:09 AM

Looks like your exposure is too long or something.  Or you have dew on your scope.  And your DEC guiding setting should be "auto" or "both" or something (Can't remember).  Not just South.

Thank you.  I have not made any changes, so is South the default?

#5 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Hubble

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 05 October 2022 - 12:59 AM

It shouldn't be. You want to be able to guide in DEC in both directions. However, that switch is there because there are times when you want / need to use it. That happens when you have DEC backlash and can't correct it. Then, if the mount is a bit off the pole you can sometimes just guide in one direction in DEC and you'll be fine because it's correcting the inevitable drift. There's no such thing as a no drift polar alignment. There's always some drift and so you always need to make some corrections. Maybe not many but some. Hope this helps. 

Rgrds-Ross

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics