•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which telescope types do you not have?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Traveler

Traveler

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:07 PM

Of course you have more then one telescope. Me, i own and use 10+. But yesterday suddenly i asked myself, do i own at least one of each telescope? Well i don't, far from.

I own achromats, doublets and triplets (refractors and binoculars) and just one type of reflector, SCT's.

Over the years a Newton telescope has been the great absentee for me... That while I know from experience how good a Newton can be... But the purchase of a Newton, no, it just doesn't happen without a very clear reason (besides the fact that I often find them too big)...

But how does that apply to you:

Which type of telescope is missing from your collection?

• dave253 likes this

#2 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Ranger 4

• Loc: GASTON S.C

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:18 PM

Same here , no Newton scope at my home. Had a 6inch years ago but never could keep it collimated, my failure I suppose. No Dobsonian either as of yet, to big for my observatory and if I were younger I may have tried that to. Hear tail that the big DOB'S are fantastic for visual but still I have plenty of light pollution in my area and I probably cant out-big the light even with a 24inch unless I pay more for filters than the scope!

• dave253 likes this

#3 David Knisely

David Knisely

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:24 PM

I have had refractors, Newtonians, Schmidt-Cassegrains, Maksutov-Cassegrains and a small dedicated H-alpha solar scope.  However, I have not had a Ritchey-Chretien Cassegrain or a Schiefspiegler off-axis unobstructed reflector (we sometimes called them "Sheep Sprinklers" smile.gif).  

• dave253 likes this

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:35 PM

Oh yes forgot that i own a Lunt solar scope too (don't know what kind refractor it is, think achromat) and a 1st gen ETX (=Maksutov-Cassegrain) that i let go recently. 

A Kutter/Schiefspiegler was something i considered in the early 80's.

• dave253 likes this

#5 havasman

havasman

Hubble

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:51 PM

I do not have an SCT, Maksutov, Mak-Cas, RC, Dall-Kirkham (modified or not), Schiefspiegler, binocular, Hamiltonian, Galilean, (Busak-)Honders-Riccardi, Schmidt camera, Classic Cassegrain, Schupmann, Schmidt-Newtonian, Mak-Newt, acromatic refractor, triplet refractor, doublet refractor or other type of telescope not listed in my signature line.

But none of them are missed. I don't have an Ha solar scope either but have not made up my mind whether that's something that needs correcting.

• dave253 likes this

#6 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 October 2022 - 01:18 AM

Of course you have more then one telescope. Me, i own and use 10+. But yesterday suddenly i asked myself, do i own at least one of each telescope? Well i don't, far from.

I own achromats, doublets and triplets (refractors and binoculars) and just one type of reflector, SCT's.

Over the years a Newton telescope has been the great absentee for me... That while I know from experience how good a Newton can be... But the purchase of a Newton, no, it just doesn't happen without a very clear reason (besides the fact that I often find them too big)...

But how does that apply to you:

Which type of telescope is missing from your collection?

Apart from some exotic designs, I've owned pretty much ever telescope design there is.  But at the moment, I do not have a pure mirror Cassegrain of any type.  

• dave253 likes this

#7 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:47 AM

No newtonians (nor dobs), and no SCTs here… the only doublet refractors are finderscopes.

Edited by luxo II, 05 October 2022 - 03:14 AM.

• dave253 likes this

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:04 AM

Of the major types, I've owned Cassegrains, (Maks, SCTs), refractors (achromats, ED/apos) and reflectors (Newtonians).

Currently I do not own a Cassegrain. They're just not well suited for my "observing" style. 

Jon

• KWB, dave253 and therealdmt like this

#9 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:37 AM

I've owned...
Maks
SCTs
ED doublet apo refractors
EDT triplet apo refractors
Achromatic refractors
Dall-Kirkham Cassegrain (Mewlon)
Newtonian

Currently I own...
SCT
ED doublet apo refractor
EDT triplet apo refractor
Achromatic refractor

The designs that have spent the most time in my stable...
SCTs (used mostly for EAA, night vision and visual deep sky)
EDT triplet apo refractors (used for every type of visual observing, EAA and night vision) 
Achromatic refractors (specialized for low power, deep sky and solar observing)

In my case and at my location...
SCTs have met my need for compact aperture
Apo refractors (especially triplets) have met my need for superb optical quality

Bob

• dave253 likes this

#10 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:56 PM

In my residence there are refractors, Mak-Casses, and a couple of Newtonians.  I do not currently have any SCTs, nor do I have any Mak-Newts, but I have owned a few of those in the past.

I do not have any of the exotic designs and have no plans to try them.  I am very happy with my refractors and will probably give away the other scopes in the next year or two.

Ron

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#11 dave253

dave253

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia 28S 153E

Posted 06 October 2022 - 01:59 AM

I have only owned newts and achros.

I’ve looked through SCTs and I like them, but I can’t see myself owning one. 

• therealdmt likes this

#12 therealdmt

therealdmt

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 35° N

Posted 06 October 2022 - 05:57 AM

No SCT or Mak.

Nothing against them, but there isn’t one that I feel for some reason I must have.

Really, there’s only three more telescopes on my wish list anyway, none of which I "need". Two of those are refractors (an approximately 2" one and an approximately 5" one) and the other would be an approximately 15" Dobsonian, and, well, that would pretty much do it (and then some). It’s not like I need 10 telescopes or anything.

Of course, circumstances or my interests could eventually change, or I could fall into one or some such, so who knows

• KWB and dave253 like this

#13 KWB

KWB

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 06 October 2022 - 06:00 AM

Ditto as to no SCT or Maksutov designs in my collection.

Not my cup of tea.

• dave253 and therealdmt like this

#14 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 06 October 2022 - 07:26 AM

It would be easier to say what I do have; two refractors and a reflector. I have owned a couple of SCTs, one Mak Cass and one Mak Newt, but none of the exotic designs. The Dobs and refractors have always been my favorites.

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 06 October 2022 - 10:22 AM

One that has go-to....

#16 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Vanguard

Posted 06 October 2022 - 10:26 AM

A radio telescope. Just never got around to buying one ...

Clear(er) skies.

• Jon Isaacs and dave253 like this

#17 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 09 October 2022 - 07:54 PM

My first "decent" telescope was a Celestron SP-C6 Newtonian.  Bought new from Adorama for $719.00 around 1989.  I hated it.  The different eyepiece placement on the EQ mount drove me crazy.  I had to move all over the place to view different areas of the sky.  I have never owned a Newtonian reflector since.  I've also never owned a Dobsonian. 

I like viewing through the back of the tube on a telescope so, I sold the Newt and bought a fork mounted SCT and never looked back.  It's just so much more convenient to view through standing or sitting.

I have EQ mounts, but I still like the simplicity of an alt-az mount.  

For me personally, I like small to medium doublet ED refractors and small to fairly large SCT's. 

I've owned multiple Maks but the SCT is much more versatile with the use of reducers, etc.

Currently I own 11", 9.25" and 5" SCT's and 90 and 120mm refractors.  Also, a 152mm achromat that sits in my rec room as a cool looking piece of furniture LOL.  

Everyone has their own opinion regarding these decisions, and preferences also change over the years as you evolve in this hobby.  I know mine have! 

• dave253 likes this

#18 jcj380

jcj380

Gemini

• Loc: Out in the night, in the whispering breezes

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:40 AM

Had a C8, sold it.

Had a 90mm Mak, sold it.

Never had a Newt or a Dob.

Have 4 fracs, one of which is an ED, the rest are achros.

• dave253 likes this

#19 weis14

weis14

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

Currently, I don't have a Newtonian or Mak.  SCTs have come and gone, but right now I have one though it doesn't get much use.

Refractors are always around. grin.gif

• dave253 likes this

#20 25585

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:16 AM

I do not own a cassegrain of any type. I did have a C8, but sold it last year to fund other gear. My scopes are Dobsonian Newtonians (4) and myriad refractors of various types. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics