•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you use ASIAIAR+ without an Internet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Staffordshire, UK

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:05 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking to get back into imaging, simplify my workflow and image from a remote dark site. The ASIAIR plus is very appealing. Can it be used without an internet connection? Specifically can polar alignment and target acquisition be done without an internet connection?
  • FRANKVSTAR likes this

#2 Zambiadarkskies

Zambiadarkskies

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Zambia

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:28 AM

Yes it can.  I image in Zambia under class 1 skies in the wilderness and have ZERO internet connection anywhere near my imaging site 

• FRANKVSTAR, Andyb90, AngryBear and 2 others like this

#3 SkyHunter1

SkyHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island NY

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:28 AM

No, you don't need an internet connection to use the AIR. The AIR has a built in wifi signal to connect to the phone or tablet you're using to control it, but neither the air or the tablet/phone needs internet connectivity. You connect the phone or tablet to the air's wifi and that's it. I have owned all 3 versions of the AIR and its awesome. Target acquisition and PA is built in as well. No internet needed. My iPad only has wifi to connect to the air, not cellular, so I have no internet in the field. You're good to go :)

Regards,

Skyhunter1

• FRANKVSTAR, Andyb90 and bearpig like this

#4 daveco2

daveco2

Viking 1

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:25 AM

The Air does not use the internet to connect to equipment. 

The Air uses either its own weak WiFi signal or an Ethernet cable to connect to equipment.  I use an Ethernet cable because I have found it more reliable. The only problem is that the Ethernet-iPad connector is rather expensive.

I also use my iPad to operate a small drone.

So when I travel worldwide, I only take an iPad (WiFi only enabled) for free communication back home via email and video chat and to operate all my equipment.

I started off with a laptop to control all my equipment, but found connection by various USB ports and drivers to be problematic.  I did finally get it all going (at the same time) and give myself a huge congratulations.  I dreaded the addition

of new equipment and drivers.

But then there was the issue of getting an OS "update" in the middle of a run and the occasional virus.

I resisted the idea of the ipad touch screen, preferring the keyboard for historical reasons.  But I must say, I find the ipad system to be far superior.  Gone are the days of installing software drivers and controllers and working out their

conflicts.

Edited by daveco2, 05 October 2022 - 07:51 PM.

• FRANKVSTAR and Andyb90 like this

#5 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Ranger 4

• Loc: GASTON S.C

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:13 AM

I would mention you do need an internet connection at original start up to download all features and some other stuff like a license agreement

of sorts, nothing major it just takes a little time to download all start up required stuff. From  then on its your tablet and the ASIAIR and you good to go anywhere or time.

You will like it, I use the ASIAIR PLUS and the older model the second version that works but the wifi signal is weak, so you don't go very far from your scope about 10 or 15 feet ,20 if you lucky. The plus model has an external antenna so if there's not a lot of wall between you and you equipment you can be in the house warm while you equipment is running.

very good product, I like it and I am imaging in the house while I type this .

• Andyb90 likes this

#6 Andyb90

Andyb90

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Staffordshire, UK

Posted 05 October 2022 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the responses. That's great to know the ASIAIR+ can be used offline. As I think the site location will have little or no internet connectivity.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics