•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10 micron GM1000 HPS initial set up questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dngo

Dngo

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:06 AM

Hello. I just received my 10 micron GM1000 HPS mount. The manual and web reviews I checked all show a bubble level. There is no bubble level on mine.

Wonder why it is not there? Removed from new mount revision? I got really old stock?

My tripod (Avalon t110) has a bubble level too but the 10 micron plate sits on top of it so it's not usable either. Guess I have to somehow work with a spirit level. Probably more accurate anyway. Bit disappointing though for the money.

Also I found it really heavy and awkward to handle. Maybe because it was new to me and I was getting it out of the box. For those who don't have the mount in a fixed position, do you put it back in the box every night in that tight foam? How do you store it? Do you have someone help you lift it? Any tips appreciated.

That's today's efforts so far... Mount on tripod :) tomorrow I'll aim to get the scope up and balanced.

Thanks

Edited by Dngo, 05 October 2022 - 04:07 AM.

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:51 AM

Hi

The Avalon level is to level the tripod before the mount covers it up. It’s probably a bubble level which is pretty useless IMO. Much better to use a torpedo level which you can easily swing around 90 degrees to get it level both ways… or you can line it up with the legs.

These methods get you very level if you spend a bit of time - 5 minutes maybe. The bubble levels are very often not even installed level so forget them and just always use the torpedo level ( 6-8” long straight level) to level out the tripod, place the mount on the tripod and the mount will be level-no real need for a level on the mount. I can’t speak for 10 micron, but the Paramount folks tell you being perfectly level doesn’t even really matter that much - especially if you’re using a T-Point model. Still, I always do my best to level the mount when I put it back on its pier.

Gary

• EFT likes this

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 05 October 2022 - 08:43 AM

Just use your phone.  It doesn't need to be perfect; that's why you bought a 10u. You don't need to polar align these things like you did with your other mounts either.  Use the laser, get it close, and build a model.  

• EFT likes this

#4 psandelle

psandelle

Aurora

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 October 2022 - 09:54 AM

Hello. I just received my 10 micron GM1000 HPS mount. The manual and web reviews I checked all show a bubble level. There is no bubble level on mine.

Wonder why it is not there? Removed from new mount revision? I got really old stock?

My tripod (Avalon t110) has a bubble level too but the 10 micron plate sits on top of it so it's not usable either. Guess I have to somehow work with a spirit level. Probably more accurate anyway. Bit disappointing though for the money.

Also I found it really heavy and awkward to handle. Maybe because it was new to me and I was getting it out of the box. For those who don't have the mount in a fixed position, do you put it back in the box every night in that tight foam? How do you store it? Do you have someone help you lift it? Any tips appreciated.

That's today's efforts so far... Mount on tripod smile.gif tomorrow I'll aim to get the scope up and balanced.

Thanks

Torpedo level. I use a 3-foot one, because I'm strictly mobile and put it across the back legs of the tripod, then use a compass flat against the level to point the tripod North; then I level the tripod with it afterwards. The mount head is level if the tripod is level.

As for it being awkward to lug about...it is until you get used to it and with the clutches loose (as they recommend), it flops around like a big fish. I have gone back and forth between locked and unlocked, and took the middle ground: I lock one of the clutches for carefully loading it into the case, then unlock it for when it's in the case; it's unlocked so that a sharp jar won't mess with the gears if they're locked, but unless I drop it carrying it to the case, I'm good to go this way. I store it in the case in the closet.

Paul

• EFT and Raginar like this

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:18 AM

Torpedo level. I use a 3-foot one, because I'm strictly mobile and put it across the back legs of the tripod, then use a compass flat against the level to point the tripod North; then I level the tripod with it afterwards. The mount head is level if the tripod is level.

As for it being awkward to lug about...it is until you get used to it and with the clutches loose (as they recommend), it flops around like a big fish. I have gone back and forth between locked and unlocked, and took the middle ground: I lock one of the clutches for carefully loading it into the case, then unlock it for when it's in the case; it's unlocked so that a sharp jar won't mess with the gears if they're locked, but unless I drop it carrying it to the case, I'm good to go this way. I store it in the case in the closet.

Paul

I ended up with a JMI wheeley bar so I don't pack away like I used to.  But, yes, like Paul said, you just get used to it.  I undid all the clutches and just kind of figured it out; it's awkward but the foam is tough.

I'm a larger person so I don't need two people to lift it, but I could see that being helpful depending on your size. 

Facebook group plug: https://www.facebook...98361138/about/

Edited by Raginar, 05 October 2022 - 11:19 AM.

• EFT and psandelle like this

#6 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Hubble

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 05 October 2022 - 05:15 PM

Just use your phone.  It doesn't need to be perfect; that's why you bought a 10u. You don't need to polar align these things like you did with your other mounts either.  Use the laser, get it close, and build a model.  

I moved my observatory yesterday and wanted to re-level the tripod.

No matter what I tried the phone level did not agree with the tripod bubble level. I went to the shop to get another bubble level (best two out of three wins) and the phone lost.

Then it occurred to me - the cameras! On my new iPhone 14 the cameras protrude so the phone itself sits at an angle.

If you use a phone, be sure to place it on a small block such that the camera hump does not interfere.

• wrvond likes this

#7 psandelle

psandelle

Aurora

Posted 05 October 2022 - 06:39 PM

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif  If I had a nickel for every time I cause my own downfall, I'd have a lot of nickels.

Paul

#8 Andrewf

Andrewf

Explorer 1

• Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 06 October 2022 - 09:41 PM

I had the same question when I received my GM1000 in March.  No bubble level.  I contacted my dealer about it.  He told me 10Micron stopped installing the bubble years ago.  Not needed.

Andy

#9 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Hubble

Posted 06 October 2022 - 10:48 PM

I had the same question when I received my GM1000 in March.  No bubble level.  I contacted my dealer about it.  He told me 10Micron stopped installing the bubble years ago.  Not needed.

Andy

I received mine new in July. Bubble was installed. Serial number ends in xxx1560.

#10 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 October 2022 - 09:31 PM

The easiest way I found to carry it is to cradle it like a baby. This way, even if the axes rotate (the clutches should be unlocked), it doesn't affect the transport. After a few tries you'll get the hang out of it.

I'm fully mobile but I don't put it in the foam. At home it stays vertical on a shelf. During transport, it sits sideways on a large pillow on the other front seat in the car, with the safety belt around it (it fits well along the plate). Do keep the original box with the foam, it's required if you need to send it back for warranty.

The mount is ~20kg and if you find it heavy, then be very careful with your body position while carrying and mounting it because you (and the mount) might be the risk of falling and you definitely don't want to have a 20kg weight hitting your foot.  One thing that will help is not to extend the tripod (which also helps with stability). That way, you don't have to lift it up to put it on the tripod, but rather to lower the mount on it. Remember to unscrew a few turns (or more) the polar alignment screws, so you have a larger gap that goes over the pin in the base; it's harder to put it on the base if you have a tight tolerance there. 

Enjoy your mount!

• psandelle likes this

#11 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Hubble

Posted 11 October 2022 - 01:01 AM

I'm fully mobile but I don't put it in the foam. At home it stays vertical on a shelf. During transport, it sits sideways on a large pillow on the other front seat in the car, with the safety belt around it (it fits well along the plate). Do keep the original box with the foam, it's required if you need to send it back for warranty.

They do offer a transport bag which will fit the foam from the original shipping box.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9073.jpg

• psandelle likes this

#12 psandelle

psandelle

Aurora

Posted 11 October 2022 - 10:34 AM

They do offer a transport bag which will fit the foam from the original shipping box.

I always vacillate between the bag and the hard case. I'm going hard case this time, as I want to stack stuff on them in my storage closet. Also, sometimes the wheels are nice if you have to go some distance (like out to the car); you don't have to lug.

Paul

• Jeff Morgan and Raginar like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics