•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stabilization has ruined my hobby

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 dave3006

dave3006

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 09:23 AM

I have the following binoculars:

Steiner 8x56 Shadowquest

Steiner 7x50 Night Hunter

Steiner 10x50 Military Marine

Canon 10x42L IS

I have had the Canons for a while.  My problem is that I don't want to use any of my other binoculars.  I only use binoculars handheld.  The view from the image stabilization is so superior to the others, it makes me not want to use them.  It is not even close. 

I have tested the NL Pure, EL, Razors.  My reaction has been "meh". 

I am actually thinking of selling all my non stabilized binoculars. 

It almost makes me want to sell everything else.  Has anyone else experienced this after going IS?

Edited by dave3006, 05 October 2022 - 09:24 AM.

• Cyborg, SMark, ArsMachina and 6 others like this

#2 Fiske

Fiske

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 05 October 2022 - 09:33 AM

I own the Canon 10x42L IS, and have not experienced that. Of course, I own multiple binocular mounts and mostly observe with mounted instruments. I use the Canon primarily to observe birds at my backyard feeders from my den. Rarely for astronomy. wink.gif

Mounted binoculars, even moderate quality 10x50 instruments, provide better astronomy views for my tastes. The Canon edge performance is the best I have seen in a 6.5 degree binocular, I will say that. And for hand held observing, no non-stabilized  binocular is going to resolve as much detail as an IS instrument.

You could sell your other binoculars and add either a Canon 15x50 or an 18x50. Or both. smile.gif A Canon 12x36 might be another useful option.

• sevenofnine, Crusty99 and zerodur like this

#3 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2022 - 09:46 AM

However the love of Canon IS binoculars can swiftly turn sour if they even with great care give stabilization problems or the rubber exterior turns into a sticky mess , and don,t count on the very short Canon warranty to help you much, just saying, D.

• Grimnir and Pinac like this

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 05 October 2022 - 10:04 AM

Well, I can agree that my 10x42Ls really do shine for hand held use, by day or by night.  They show details that no other hand held bino of similar size can.   In their size class, there really is no comparison unless I mount the other binos.  Having IS available more than makes up for having alpha class non-stbilized binos for hand held use, IMO.  I wish Canon offered a higher mag "L" model with the improved features of the 10x42, but at around 16x60 or thereabouts.  I haven't had a chance to see for myself how the 15/18x50 IS work for me.  In that mag range, it's still mounted binos for me.

However, there are times wider FOV and light carrying weight is important in a hand held bino, like last weekend at our local Aviation Roundup air show where I needed a much wider field than the Canon's 6.5°.  For watching the Blue Angels and other aerobatic acts perform, I prefer a FOV around 9°;  less than that is too restrictive. Size and weight matters, too, when I'm carrying the binos around my neck all day.  8x is pretty steady for me.  I gladly brought my Nikon 8x30 EIIs to the event for that duty.  They're less than half the weight and show 83% more sky area in the view.  I wouldn't want to be limited to only the Canons for that use.

Different horses for different courses; one can't do it all...

Rich

• Fiske, Albie, SMark and 5 others like this

#5 drt3d

drt3d

Messenger

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:07 AM

Welcome to the dark side!

Once I got the Canon 10x42, I sold most of my binoculars, including several Swarovski

George

• ArsMachina likes this

#6 f18dad

f18dad

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, 39°N

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:21 AM

I have the following binoculars:

Steiner 8x56 Shadowquest

Steiner 7x50 Night Hunter

Steiner 10x50 Military Marine

Canon 10x42L IS

I have had the Canons for a while.  My problem is that I don't want to use any of my other binoculars.  I only use binoculars handheld.  The view from the image stabilization is so superior to the others, it makes me not want to use them.  It is not even close. 

I have tested the NL Pure, EL, Razors.  My reaction has been "meh". 

I am actually thinking of selling all my non stabilized binoculars. 

It almost makes me want to sell everything else.  Has anyone else experienced this after going IS?

Well, I can agree that my 10x42Ls really do shine for hand held use, by day or by night.  They show details that no other hand held bino of similar size can.   In their size class, there really is no comparison unless I mount the other binos.  Having IS available more than makes up for having alpha class non-stbilized binos for hand held use, IMO.  I wish Canon offered a higher mag "L" model with the improved features of the 10x42, but at around 16x60 or thereabouts.  I haven't had a chance to see for myself how the 15/18x50 IS work for me.  In that mag range, it's still mounted binos for me.

However, there are times wider FOV and light carrying weight is important in a hand held bino, like last weekend at our local Aviation Roundup air show where I needed a much wider field than the Canon's 6.5°.  For watching the Blue Angels and other aerobatic acts perform, I prefer a FOV around 9°;  less than that is too restrictive. Size and weight matters, too, when I'm carrying the binos around my neck all day.  8x is pretty steady for me.  I gladly brought my Nikon 8x30 EIIs to the event for that duty.  They're less than half the weight and show 83% more sky area in the view.  I wouldn't want to be limited to only the Canons for that use.

Different horses for different courses; one can't do it all...

Rich

For me, a defining characteristic of binoculars is their hand-holdability and portability. Once a mount is involved those values are compromised.

Hypothetically, I have been wondering if the Nikon WX unicorn, without a mount, would be able to resolve details as well as a 10x42 IS can? 

#7 CAAD9

CAAD9

Apollo

• Loc: Australia

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:59 AM

Yes totally I’m afraid. It’s just too convenient with IS. I have the 10x42L and 18x50 myself. I have had a chance to look through almost all of Canon’s range and one or two Fuji stabilised models.

I find I use the 18x50 for maybe 65-75% of all my astronomy observing. It’s like a super convenient small telescope.

I always thought I should one day get an “alpha”. One look through an NL pure did look awfully good. But it’s a lot of money for a beautiful but less detailed view.  Stabilisation is a “force multiplier”.

• Rich V., ArsMachina, oldmanrick and 2 others like this

#8 dave3006

dave3006

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:59 AM

CAAD9, I thought about an alpha too.  My buddy has a pair of 10x42 ELs.  We compared his ELs to my Canon 10x42L IS.  The EL was bright and clear. But, my natural hand vibration did not allow me to benefit from the awesomness of his $3000 glass.  Same for the NL. 

It is kind of like having a Ferrari in bumper to bumper traffic  - what's the point?

I just listed my Steiners up for sale on ebay.  I will be looking to round out my collection with other stabilized binos from this point forward. 

Edited by dave3006, 05 October 2022 - 12:05 PM.

• Rich V., ArsMachina, oldmanrick and 2 others like this

#9 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 05 October 2022 - 12:55 PM

For me, a defining characteristic of binoculars is their hand-holdability and portability. Once a mount is involved those values are compromised.

Hypothetically, I have been wondering if the Nikon WX unicorn, without a mount, would be able to resolve details as well as a 10x42 IS can? 

Way larger FOV and optical state of the art is nice but can it be hand held and still see the finest details?  Without a mount, I doubt it, myself.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 Harry Jacobson

Harry Jacobson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Providence RI

Posted 05 October 2022 - 01:52 PM

I have had the Canons for a while.  My problem is that I don't want to use any of my other binoculars.

Dave,

Has your enjoyment of star gazing diminished? Do you star gaze less often? Do you view fewer objects in your sessions?

I don’t see stabilization as ruination, unless you meant that humorously.

For years when I star gaze my eyes are my most frequently used instrument, followed by my Canon 15x50 IS. For years I lived on a suburban farm under Bortle 5-6 skies where I would just walk out into a field. Grab and go typified my sessions.

We moved to a city where the best skies are Bortle 8. I still want to grab and go but I’m undecided how to go about it best

Harry

Edited by Harry Jacobson, 05 October 2022 - 01:56 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#11 dave3006

dave3006

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:15 PM

Harry, haha.  Yes.  I was joking : )

I love the Canon binos.  I was just making the point that I love them so much, I don't want to use my unstabilized binos.

Edited by dave3006, 05 October 2022 - 02:16 PM.

#12 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:47 PM

I do know that feeling very well :-)

After I bought my 15x50IS in 1999 (they are still going strong) I was sure that I will never again buy a bino without stabi.

The 10x42IS and the Zeiss 20x60 had to follow :-)

But it is not only about handheld binos.

I also want my big binoculars only with rock solid views up to the magnification limit.

That means that I can not use a wobbling fork mount but need a matching fluidhead to be happy.

Optical quality of the instruments is one thing, but it is nothing when the views are shaking - at least for me.

Jochen

Edited by ArsMachina, 05 October 2022 - 03:48 PM.

• SMark and oldmanrick like this

#13 FlanaganV

FlanaganV

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:21 PM

Some tests have been made:

https://www.cloudyni...w/#entry8844940

More or less it's as expected, handholding the canon it can resolve more than the wx, and with the nikon mounted it seems to be a tie.

Anyway, in my case after I got the canon 10x42, it gets the 90% of the time (daytime and nighttime), the other 10% is for the leica 7x42 when hiking. In practice, the better binoculars I have (optically), the swaros EL 8,5x42, don't get out of their bag almost never.

• ArsMachina and f18dad like this

#14 f18dad

f18dad

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:52 PM

Some tests have been made:

https://www.cloudyni...w/#entry8844940

More or less it's as expected, handholding the canon it can resolve more than the wx, and with the nikon mounted it seems to be a tie.

Anyway, in my case after I got the canon 10x42, it gets the 90% of the time (daytime and nighttime), the other 10% is for the leica 7x42 when hiking. In practice, the better binoculars I have (optically), the swaros EL 8,5x42, don't get out of their bag almost never.

Impressive how the 10x42L IS more than holds its own. shocked.gif

#15 Fiske

Fiske

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2022 - 05:01 PM

Uh, pardon me if I have more than a small amount of skepticism that the Canon 10x42L ties with a mounted Nikon 10x50 WX. That is ludicrous. 

lol.gif

To my eyes, the Canon doesn't compare favorably for astronomy use with a mounted Oberwerk 10x50 Ultra, and doesn't even come close to night sky views with a mounted premium glass like the Maven b.5 10x56.

Edited by Fiske, 05 October 2022 - 05:20 PM.

• Albie, Grimnir and owl8888 like this

#16 f18dad

f18dad

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 October 2022 - 05:21 PM

Yeh, it makes sense to be skeptical. Not sure if his measurements are at the level of ludicrous though. Anyway, I guess I will never know for sure.

Edited by f18dad, 05 October 2022 - 05:22 PM.

• Fiske likes this

#17 Fiske

Fiske

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2022 - 05:33 PM

The Canon is a nice binocular, and IS is a game changer, but the astronomy views are dark compared with x50s, and it is not an alpha glass. Honestly.

#18 f18dad

f18dad

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 October 2022 - 06:03 PM

The Canon is a nice binocular, and IS is a game changer, but the astronomy views are dark compared with x50s, and it is not an alpha glass. Honestly.

I get all that, and it would be wonderful to own a pair of WX, if I didn't have to pay for them. No doubt they exude quality and perform as advertised. I have a really soft spot for quality like most here do.

But in the end I really only care if I can see better, especially if I can see as well or better at a more affordable price. Seems like most 10x42L IS owners think they see better, and that's what matters to them.

If I was mounting binoculars, and owning larger binoculars, and had the observing skills you do, I am sure I may feel differently. But handheld is my biggest gig and I am persuaded by most fans and owners comments that the 10x42L IS often "sees" better than many comparable alphas, even with its perhaps less perfect optics, and perhaps even as well or maybe better than the WX under handheld circumstances.

• Fiske, ArsMachina and 71North like this

#19 dave3006

dave3006

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:07 PM

I had no intention of this devolving into a debate. Fiske has probably forgotten more than I’ll ever know about binoculars. I only use binoculars handheld. Before I came to this site, I never even knew people mounted binoculars.

I’m an engineer. But, I am fully aware when I don’t know things.
  • Fiske and ihf like this

#20 f18dad

f18dad

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:18 PM

Before I came to this site, I never even knew people mounted binoculars.

Hahaha lol.gif . This statement from a normal perspective really goes to show how truly weird all of us binoholics are!!! crazyeyes.gif

• Fiske likes this

#21 Milos1977

Milos1977

Viking 1

• Loc: Woodside - New York

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:20 PM

Keep the 8x56, or even better upgrade it to a better wider field version of 8x56 or 10x56.  You will miss it :-).  It is very much brighter than 10x42 and 10x50 specially if you get better optics along. With very dark skies they come in very handy. 

Edited by Milos1977, 05 October 2022 - 08:51 PM.

#22 Fiske

Fiske

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:20 PM

It's all good, Dave. wink.gif

No one's upset here. At least, I'm not. When it comes to handheld observing, I don't question for a minute that an observer would see more detail with the Canon 10x42L than with a Nikon 10x50 WX. Mounting makes that much difference. Plus, given it's size and weight, the WX is not a reasonable binocular for hand held observing anyway. The experiences of the two binoculars would be quite different, though, even hand held, because of the wider FOV and AFOV the Nikon delivers.

• f18dad likes this

#23 f18dad

f18dad

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:29 PM

Yup, Fiske is THE man, and it's all in fun here! Glad for you that you enjoy your 10x42L IS so much!

You need special eyes and unique DNA to see like Fiske does!

fiske.jpg

• Bortle9 likes this

#24 Fiske

Fiske

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:33 PM

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#25 dave3006

dave3006

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:48 PM

Binocular people are no different than some of the other groups of people obsessed about something that the average person doesn’t even think about ONCE in an entire year. There are people who own 100+ knives that virtually look alike from a company called Spyderco. Or, guys that own dozens of flashlights. There are groups for just about everything under the sun.

Find what you like to do and do it with all your might because you will eventually be dead someday.

Ecclesiastes paraphrase.
  • Fiske, dries1 and Astronoob76 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics