•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First time mosaic question

Astrophotography DSO
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ParagPA

ParagPA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 10:15 AM

Hello,

I'm going to attempt my first mosaic tonight (I assume that's considered an advanced topic - sorry if this belongs in beginner). 

I'm going to do the veil complex, and I've got an ED80-T (480mm focal dist) and CEM40 mount. Tonight is a trial run, so I'm just going to grab an hour of each panel. My plan is to do a 4-panel mosaic, which given the FOV of the ED80-T and size of veil, will give me a substantial amount of surrounding area. My specific questions:

1) How much overlap should I plan between the panels? 

2) I'm using an L-extreme, so LP should be mitigated - but there will still be decent moonlight tonight. Will I run into trouble with correcting gradients between panels  if I grab each panel in sequence? I suppose best case would be to alternate between each panel, but that would seem to eat up a lot of imaging time. What's best practice? 

Any other early "gotchas" I should know about would be appreciated. Thanks very much for the advice!

If it matters I'll be using NINA to plan and grab the panels, and I typically work in PixInsight. 

#2 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 05 October 2022 - 10:36 AM

I've just reprocessed two of my mosaics with a different workflow. Before, I used APP which gave good to decent results. The rework in Pixinsight was a lot more work but also a lot better. So, here's my answers:

1) 15% overlap. If you have image rotation over the night, dither a lot, need to crop because of aberrations or vignette, you need to subtract that, of course. 10% would be the bare minimum in my book.

2) In Pixinsight, the workflow is

DBE

Color Calibration

MosaicByCoordinates

SplitMosaicTiles+PhotometricMosaic or GradientMergeMosaic (these join the frames - the first one worked better for me)

DBE

Then proceed from linear as normal.

So you remove the gradients as best you can beforehand, then join with a process that merges the gradients, then do more gradient removal. I gathered 1h of each panel before switching to the next (basically switching when I would refocus anyway). The first DBE step is critical, you need to take well care of that.

Here's my result with this workflow, it also contains the old revision what I got when I tried it with APP:

get.jpg?insecure

• Raginar and ParagPA like this

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:13 AM

Agree with the above.  

Video I'd use to stitch them together:

https://www.youtube....h?v=urcTP3IMg1I

Good luck, it's significantly easier to do mosaics today than it was 5 years ago.

Hello,

I'm going to attempt my first mosaic tonight (I assume that's considered an advanced topic - sorry if this belongs in beginner). 

I'm going to do the veil complex, and I've got an ED80-T (480mm focal dist) and CEM40 mount. Tonight is a trial run, so I'm just going to grab an hour of each panel. My plan is to do a 4-panel mosaic, which given the FOV of the ED80-T and size of veil, will give me a substantial amount of surrounding area. My specific questions:

1) How much overlap should I plan between the panels? 

2) I'm using an L-extreme, so LP should be mitigated - but there will still be decent moonlight tonight. Will I run into trouble with correcting gradients between panels  if I grab each panel in sequence? I suppose best case would be to alternate between each panel, but that would seem to eat up a lot of imaging time. What's best practice? 

Any other early "gotchas" I should know about would be appreciated. Thanks very much for the advice!

If it matters I'll be using NINA to plan and grab the panels, and I typically work in PixInsight. 

• ParagPA likes this

#4 ParagPA

ParagPA

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:46 AM

I've just reprocessed two of my mosaics with a different workflow. Before, I used APP which gave good to decent results. The rework in Pixinsight was a lot more work but also a lot better. So, here's my answers:

1) 15% overlap. If you have image rotation over the night, dither a lot, need to crop because of aberrations or vignette, you need to subtract that, of course. 10% would be the bare minimum in my book.

2) In Pixinsight, the workflow is

DBE

Color Calibration

MosaicByCoordinates

SplitMosaicTiles+PhotometricMosaic or GradientMergeMosaic (these join the frames - the first one worked better for me)

DBE

Then proceed from linear as normal.

So you remove the gradients as best you can beforehand, then join with a process that merges the gradients, then do more gradient removal. I gathered 1h of each panel before switching to the next (basically switching when I would refocus anyway). The first DBE step is critical, you need to take well care of that.

Here's my result with this workflow, it also contains the old revision what I got when I tried it with APP:

get.jpg?insecure

This is very helpful - thank you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DSO

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics