•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can a Celestron focus motor be controlled with a non Celestron mount?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spandau

Spandau

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 10:52 AM

I was planning to purchase the Celestron focus motor (94155-A) to use with my Celestron  EdgeHD 11, which is mounted on a Losmandy G11 / Gemini-2.

My question is, how can this focuser be controlled for visual observing?

Thanks.

#2 cinenosin

cinenosin

Sputnik

• Loc: Montgomery, TX

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:43 AM

That focuser can be connected to a PC with USB A-B cable running the Celestron focuser app.  12VDC may also be needed if your USB port has low power.  If you use a USB hub for imaging, be sure the imaging camera(s) are on a different hub, else the focuser can glitch.

• Notdarkenough likes this

#3 Northernguy

Northernguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast MN, USA

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:50 AM

I was just posting about this very topic earlier today, and mentioned I plan to construct a diy hand controller for my Celestron focus motor (used with edge hd8 on zwo AM5 mount). following excellent work by mlord. (https://www.cloudyni...4#entry12177715)

In the meantime, I've been using a miniPC to control the focuser, as cinenosin said (although I use the USB Hub in my ASI294MCp for both imaging and focus motor and guide scope and have not seen any glitching of any of the items.). I connect to miniPC using an iPad to remote in to change the focus position. obviously will be better to get the hand controller thing working

That focuser can be connected to a PC with USB A-B cable running the Celestron focuser app.  12VDC may also be needed if your USB port has low power.  If you use a USB hub for imaging, be sure the imaging camera(s) are on a different hub, else the focuser can glitch.

#4 Spandau

Spandau

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the inputs. I know this focuser is a great leap forward for imaging, but it also seems to be at least a few steps back for visual use. I can't understand why Celestron has not offered a solution, eve if it is with an accessory controller.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics