•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planetary Imaging Question

Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Liquidtravel

Liquidtravel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canyon Lake, Texas - Bortle 4

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:09 AM

For Planetary imaging with a Celestron C8 on an EQ mount, do you need a guide system or will a finderscope work just fine?

thanks

#2 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:17 AM

Guiding is not necessary.  You'll want to direct your planetary questions to the planetary imaging forum to get better response though.

• Boeglewatcher likes this

#3 Liquidtravel

Liquidtravel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:33 AM

apologies.  I did not see where I posted.  If can be deleted or moved, that is fine.  

thanks for your response.

#4 idclimber

idclimber

Gemini

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 05 October 2022 - 11:45 AM

apologies.  I did not see where I posted.  If can be deleted or moved, that is fine.  

thanks for your response.

Not a problem, I sent a note to the moderators to have this moved. Just stand by. 

• imtl likes this

#5 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 05 October 2022 - 01:07 PM

Welcome to the M&MPI forum.

You should be able to place a planet (even Neptune) on your sensor with a well-aligned 9x50 or larger RACI finder.

A guide system is meant tor KEEPING said target on your sensor. Whether or not you need this depends how accurately your particular mount/scope combination tracks.  If you're using one of the popular, free acquisition applilcations (e.g. FireCapture), you can use that to send small "bump" commands to your ASCOM/ST4 controlled mount to automatically keep the planet within the designated Region Of Interest (ROI). No separate guide camera is necessary - this is done via the imaging camera, while imaging.

#6 Liquidtravel

Liquidtravel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 01:21 PM

Welcome to the M&MPI forum.

You should be able to place a planet (even Neptune) on your sensor with a well-aligned 9x50 or larger RACI finder.

A guide system is meant tor KEEPING said target on your sensor. Whether or not you need this depends how accurately your particular mount/scope combination tracks.  If you're using one of the popular, free acquisition applilcations (e.g. FireCapture), you can use that to send small "bump" commands to your ASCOM/ST4 controlled mount to automatically keep the planet within the designated Region Of Interest (ROI). No separate guide camera is necessary - this is done via the imaging camera, while imaging.

For my wide field rig, I have been using a ASIAir Plus.  I was planning on buying a second one for this setup.  I have not decided on a mount yet.  I just need to find one that works with the ASIAir plus?  Lastly, I already own a Celestron Right-Angle Finderscope so I am good there.  I was just curious about guiding.   Any thoughts on a decent EQ mount with good tracking?  My OTA is a C8.  I originally purchased the NexStar 8SE but HATED the Alt-Az mount and the hand controller that came with it.  It was so difficult to use with a focuser and the tracking sucked.  With the ASIAir Plus, using the AM5 mount, I can be up and running in less than 15 min.  It is so easy to use.  I want the same ease of use for my Planetary rig as well.  I just don't want to pay another 2,300 for the AM5 mount for this rig. 

Edited by Liquidtravel, 05 October 2022 - 01:22 PM.

#7 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 05 October 2022 - 01:54 PM

Any thoughts on a decent EQ mount with good tracking?  My OTA is a C8.  

I would think almost any EQ mount would suffice for this, provided it can take the load.  Even the AVX might be capable, provided you get one of the "smooth" ones.  I don't know if the ASIAir Plus has the capability to auto-nudge while recording via the imaging camera - I defer that aspect to somebody who's actually tried this.  You don't need super-accurate tracking for planetary imaging, you can get away with quite a few pixels' drift over the course of a 2-minute capture.

#8 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:08 PM

If you are using Firecapture, the auto align and auto centering functions working together will keep the planet centered in the ROI as you let the ROI drift across the chip.  That provides plenty of time to make small adjustments to the pointing direction to stay with the image.  If you chop the edge of the planet from time to time while adjusting the position of the scope, AS!3 will ignore those frames using the advanced feature menu which has a tool that ignores frames with sharp boundaries.  It ignores chopped planets and also those raster-filled frames caused by a flaky USB connection to the camera.  I have an old 10" Meade that has DEC and RA slow-motion motors with hand boxes to make minor corrections to the basic clock-drive RA axis. But I suspect you could make due even using cables with knobs by just pausing the capture while you point the scope with the planet in the correct corner of the chip and let it drift again across the chip.  Guys with unguided Dobs make great images so any kind of EQ with a driven RA axis should be easier than that.

#9 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 05 October 2022 - 02:57 PM

Don:

For my wide field rig, I have been using a ASIAir Plus.  I was planning on buying a second one for this setup.  I have not decided on a mount yet.  I just need to find one that works with the ASIAir plus?  

I don't believe the ASIAir Plus supports FireCapture (but maybe I'm wrong).

• dcaponeii likes this

#10 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:28 PM

Don:

I don't believe the ASIAir Plus supports FireCapture (but maybe I'm wrong).

Understood but that doesn't mean the OP can't decide to do things the right way.  hehe

#11 Tulloch

Tulloch

Aurora

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:52 PM

For my wide field rig, I have been using a ASIAir Plus.  I was planning on buying a second one for this setup.  I have not decided on a mount yet.  I just need to find one that works with the ASIAir plus?  Lastly, I already own a Celestron Right-Angle Finderscope so I am good there.  I was just curious about guiding.   Any thoughts on a decent EQ mount with good tracking?  My OTA is a C8.  I originally purchased the NexStar 8SE but HATED the Alt-Az mount and the hand controller that came with it.  It was so difficult to use with a focuser and the tracking sucked.  With the ASIAir Plus, using the AM5 mount, I can be up and running in less than 15 min.  It is so easy to use.  I want the same ease of use for my Planetary rig as well.  I just don't want to pay another 2,300 for the AM5 mount for this rig. 

I use a Celestron Evolution (alt/az) with my C9.25" SCT and while the tracking is not perfect, it's more than adequate for planetary imaging. It's up to you whether you want to spend a lot more money on an expensive mount, but it's really not necessary for planetary.

The FAQ at the top of this forum might also give you some more tips, with links to some tutorial website and videos at the bottom.

https://www.cloudyni...ated-july-2022/

Andrew

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics