•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolux 62ed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kobayashi Maru

Kobayashi Maru

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:26 PM

Has anyone had experience with this little scope.

I'm looking at one for 50/50 EAA/Visual. Its seems like its pretty small for visual but I'm very new too astronomy so I'm not sure. Wide sweeping views?

• Bortle 4/5.
  • Mainly large DSO but as I'm new a bity of everything. Double stars seem fun.
  • The price of this scope is about right.
  • I would probably aim to get a larger complimentary scope in a year or two.
  • I already have a sw130p heritage dob. Collapsible.
  • I'm in NZ so access to second hand markets and scopes like AT's are very limited.
  • A evostar 72ed may be another option. Its a bit more expensive but may be worth the extra cost?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Kobayashi Maru, 05 October 2022 - 04:13 PM.

#2 ris242

ris242

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:30 PM

I'm in Wellington and I bought this...........when it was a little cheaper and the exchange rate was better.

https://www.teleskop...--RED-Line.html

it is similar to the AT-60ED.

right now and with the DHL 38 euro freight it will cost you $760.00NZ.

[order will take about a week...........I buy on the Thurs, its usually here the following Tuesday].

two good reasons for buying - its got FPL53 glass and its F6, so if you later buy the 0.8 reducer it goes to f/4.8 !

the EVO has a slightly longer focal length. 400 vs 360

I'm yet to see anyone say anything bad about them. The Evolux is a little more 50/50 in opinion.

pointing this thing at Jupiter was actually quite surprising. I could see decent colour and transits............but its generally a visual spotter.

• Kobayashi Maru likes this

#3 Kobayashi Maru

Kobayashi Maru

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 04:54 PM

I'm in Wellington and I bought this...........when it was a little cheaper and the exchange rate was better.

[order will take about a week...........I buy on the Thurs, its usually here the following Tuesday].

two good reasons for buying - its got FPL53 glass and its F6, so if you later buy the 0.8 reducer it goes to f/4.8 !

I'm yet to see anyone say anything bad about them. The Evolux is a little more 50/50 in opinion.

pointing this thing at Jupiter was actually quite surprising. I could see decent colour and transits............but its generally a visual spotter.

Thanks Viking. 

Ex Wellingtonian here. Moved out to Kapiti a couple of years back.

The TS looks good. Not bad shipping either which is usually the killer. I shall keep going down the rabbit hole.

#4 Kobayashi Maru

Kobayashi Maru

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2022 - 02:16 AM

They also have a 72ed FPL 33 F/5 for $240nzd more or a 80ed F/7 for $170nzd more. Given an eventual 50/50 eaa/visual would one of those be better? I am beginning to understand ‘paralysis by analysis’

i would be primarily using it visually to begin with.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics