•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

nexstar 6se big play in alt gears

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Concord, NC

Posted 05 October 2022 - 03:40 PM

I have the Celestron Nexstar 6SE, about 2 months old, and have what to me seems like a bunch of play in the alt gears, mainly in the forward direction. I can run the arm to level with the arrows on top of the arm aligned. From there I can tilt the scope forward enough to separate those arrows by about 1/4-inch before it encounters any resistance. I can't move the arm to the rear much at all before it contacts a gear face. I have read the backlash adjustments but am not sure if I should do that or if that is not the4 right adjustment. I spent years building blowers and blower drives for my drag cars and just can't imagine an electronic backlash adjustment fixing this, but I know I can be wrong so came here to ask!

Edited by thintz, 05 October 2022 - 03:43 PM.

#2 deansjc

deansjc

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2022 - 06:44 PM

I think that amount of play is excessive and agree that backlash adjustment via a configuration change won't address it. How is it tracking objects in the sky? How accurately is it slewing??

#3 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 06:55 PM

I've only had this telescope a couple months with a bunch of time lost to rain. I think it was tracking the moon OK but so far that's the only thing I have gotten hooked up.

When I move it side to side that is fine, smooth etc. The up and down has a lag, not so bad when I slow the motor down to 5 or 6 where I am most comfortable looking for things right now.

#4 NDBirdman

NDBirdman

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:21 PM

Look at this thread:  https://www.cloudyni...8se-mount-slop/

Specifically, the picture that has an arrow pointing to a spot.  To get to this, remove the 3 screws on a small panel on the mounts arm.  Beware:  stuff the void under it with paper towel or cloth towel, you don't want to drop the screws down there.  When you can see the area pointed out, gently move the OTA up/down in altitude.  If you see that shaft moving back and forth, that's your problem, the bushing has busted.  I've seen a post about a guy that replaced/upgraded his with stainless steel bearing but, it should be still under warranty.  Contact the company you purchased scope from, they will either replace it or tell you how to contact Celestron for a warranty repair.  You'd probably be out shipping if you have to send it anywhere, hopefully you picked it up from a local company.

Mine had the movement up/down (altitude) also, I ended up sending the scope back for refund and bought a scope (CPC800) with a beefier mount.

No amount of backlash adjustment will fix this IF this is indeed your problem.  Taking the panel off gently, it's the only way to know for sure.  Only takes a couple minutes to remove.

Edited by NDBirdman, 05 October 2022 - 07:25 PM.

#5 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:29 PM

I bought it from High Point so will contact them. I may be going on the road to help out a buddy with his car for a few weeks so I f do, sending it in for repair isn't the end of the world.

• NDBirdman likes this

#6 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2022 - 08:42 AM

6se gears

I pulled the cover off the alt gears and it looks like they took pictures of my gears in that other post. It looks like a wire retainer is up off the shaft or bushing, whatever is down there.  Will call High Point (where I bought it) this morning.

Edited by thintz, 06 October 2022 - 10:51 AM.

#7 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2022 - 10:53 AM

Talked with High Point and they are working the issue of. the alt gears.

• NDBirdman likes this

#8 deansjc

deansjc

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2022 - 12:41 PM

A quality vendor for sure that continues to uphold a good reputation on CN.

John

• JOEinCO likes this

#9 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 October 2022 - 12:41 PM

Haven't heard anything back yet but I am thinking of seeing if I can swap the Nexstar 6SE for a 6" Evolution, plus the difference in cost. I haven't found anything really bad about the evolution yet but will poke around just in case that swap turns out to be an option.

#10 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:44 PM

Got an email from Celestron this evening saying we need to send the 6SE mount in for repair.  So far no indication of a turnaround timeframe. Does anyone have experience with repair times recently?

I also asked about returning the mount for credit against an Evolution mount if my NexStar 6SE tube and tripod are compatible. I know there is a price difference and said I expected to pay the difference if such a deal were possible.

#11 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2022 - 09:12 AM

The bad news is that I just dropped my 6SE altaz mount at UPS to go to Celestron for warranty repair. This is going ground literally from coast to coast so my guess is it wont get there tomorrow.... forgive my bit of time travel envy.

The good news (I think) is that I ordered a AstroMaster 114EQ Newtonian Telescope that is due here this weekend, right after the wife goes out of town for 10 days so I will have time to play and start figuring that out. I did look around some and didn't find a lot of bad talk about this outfit if we are realistic about what it is. I know it's cheap and doesn't have a ton of range but for me, it's going to be fine, plus I get to start learning an equatorial mount.

#12 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:22 PM

So, on last Thursday the 13th I dropped my 6SE altaz mount off at UPS. This morning I got an email from Celestron saying it was there already. They also cautioned on the potential of a long delay depending on the n umber of repairs ahead of mine. Later today I got another email from Celestron saying my unit is fixed, tested and getting ready to ship back to me!

Either they are very fast and trying to do the right thing or they fear my wrath or whimpering, the more likely of the possibilities. I bought an Aeromaster 114EQ to play with while the 6SE is in for repair so now I will have two telescopes to confuse myself with! I need to figure out the EQ mount anyway.

#13 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2022 - 04:49 PM

the repaired mount arrived today, way ahead of the time I thought it might take after hearing of so many who waited months for a repair. I tried it out just a bit today, watched the sun for a while and the mount runs great, better than ever, I think. The alt movement is smooth and has no delay, unlike it was before. They say they replaced the alt motor and did a bunch of testing. Whatever they did, it seems to work fine. I hope to get some time on it in the coming days when we are supposed to have some clear nights. Once again, I am a happy camper.

• mlord likes this

#14 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2022 - 01:27 PM

I finally got some "clear time" to try out my Nexstar 6SE with its newly repaired alt gears/motor. I am happy to say it works just fine, perhaps better than ever. I am convinced that there was always some play in the alt gearing that induced a bunch of up and down movement when I tried to focus. Now, I am able to focus very easily and am able to do it with virtually no shake to the image during that process. Of course, me being me, I was able to fake myself out a bit on focus during that first test session.

I found a bright star, got the telescope on it but could not get rid of the double image I was "seeing".  I tried different eyepieces, tried it with the reducer in and out, all with no change, the image appeared to be doubled. then I got out my Sky Tonight app and pointed it into the area of my double image and realized I had "discovered" Vega/Vega, the double star. This means I am a pro now, right?

Anyway, my telescope is working great, so the weather people induced a cloud cover forecasted to last way longer than my patience. But, I will return!

I do want to thank the folks who offered suggestions during this gear episode. Those bits of wisdom got me headed in the right direction for a solution and I appreciate that.

#15 Herb_H

Herb_H

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Irvine CA

Posted 28 October 2022 - 01:50 PM

.... The good news (I think) is that I ordered a AstroMaster 114EQ Newtonian Telescope that is due here this weekend ...

From what I can tell that unfortunately is a Bird Jones Newtonian design, which is just awful ...

Because of that extra corrector lens, they are next to impossible to collimate, no matter what somebody might tell you.

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B000MLL6R8

The older Celestron 127EQ was similar and just as awful, impossible to get decent clear pictures out of it :

https://www.amazon.c...B0007UQNKY?th=1

The Celestron straight Newtonians on the other hand are much, much better in sharpness - and very easy to collimate with a laser.

https://www.amazon.c...B000MLL6RS?th=1

https://www.amazon.c...B0000Y8C2Y?th=1

The optical tubes are longer, but the optical quality is very noticeably better ...

Edited by Herb_H, 28 October 2022 - 02:03 PM.

#16 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 October 2022 - 02:25 PM

Well, this pretty much shoots down my pro telescope guy delusion.

#17 Herb_H

Herb_H

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Irvine CA

Posted 29 October 2022 - 02:29 PM

I would exchange it for the Celestron AM 130EQ,  if you still have that option.

Better still, get it with that small battery operated clock drive which works great for what it costs :

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B0013Z42AK

#18 thintz

thintz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2022 - 10:46 AM

Finally got a clear sky last night so took the Nexstar 6SE and its newly repaired mount out for a spin. I just worked with the moon this time but did find out the tracking is perfect now and finding what I want is easier also now that the mount is working correctly. Anyway, now I can get back to being a rank beginner. I made a little video with footage taken last night in my driveway. See the link below.

I appreciate all the help I got on this forum!

https://youtu.be/FhGvVeiU7xA

• NDBirdman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics